“perfect romantic cocooning stay” 5 of 5 stars

Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa
5.0 of 5 Spa   |   Hoheweg 41, Interlaken 3800, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Interlaken
switzerland
“perfect romantic cocooning stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I offered a long weekend stay to my husband for his birthday, we were very well welcomed : a bottle of champagne, fresh fruits and chocolates were in our room with a nice handwritten message from the hotel director: a great beginning.

They were very useful in proposing several options to surprise my husband for his birthday.

The restaurants are amazing, we could experience very nice food and wine.

The only "negative point" is that after having spent quite some money for the stay you still have to pay for the parking place.

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Wow, what a beautiful hotel! The spa is one of the nicest that I have been to and the pool is unbelievable. I have never seen such a cool swimming area. The rooms were very nice (get a street side with balcony), location is perfect for seeing Interlaken, the service is first class and the people were very kind. In fact, I left my wedding ring in the room and didn't realize it until we were on our way back to the US. The maid was kind enough to turn it in and they shipped it to me. Great experience all around!

• Liked — the spa and the beauty of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
San Mateo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

I stayed two nights at the Victoria-Jungfrau in mid-June, 2008. The hotel is more than 140 years old, but has been completely updated to high quality, except baths are lacking and there is no air conditioning. The hotel is well located in the center of Interlaken, midway between the two train stations. About a 15-minute walk to either station--a nicer walk to the east station. Probably the best hotel in Interlaken. Low quality uses adjacent to the hotel detract, but the large grounds help to mitigate. A member of Leading Hotels of the World. At the time of my stay air conditioning wasn't needed and opening windows provided adequate coolness and change of air.

I was upgraded to a junior suite on the Harder side which I had requested to get a quiet location. My room was very spacious and quiet. The bath was in serious need of updating, especially the shower which was cramped, needed a good shower head and replacement of large, clumsy faucet handles. The room had good lighting. I didn't miss a view of the Jungfrau because it was always obscured by clouds during my stay.

The hotel has 3 restaurants: Italian, Swiss and French. I ate in the Italian and found it good. I ordered one room service dinner which was delivered quickly, set up nicely and was of excellent quality. The extensive breakfast buffet was of high quality.

There is free internet access on two computers in the business center.

I enjoyed my stay. If the bath was better it would have been perfect.

• Stayed June 2008
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I stayed in the deluxe suite which was very impressive although rather expensive since I was there during the football championships and was paying double the normal rate. Breakfast was excellent with great bakery; dinner in the brasserie was in my opinion better than dinner in the gourmet room. The public rooms in that hotel are lovely. Was surprised that there is very little in the way of outdoor grounds for strolling and sitting around. Spa was very good and my treatment was above average in this category. Concierges were excellent and helped guide my with good advice. Even though I paid through the roof here, I was very happy with this hotel. My main beef is that Interlaken itself is not that exciting and I may not have many reasons to go back although to be fair the weather wasn't favorable during my stay so i never saw the Jungfrau or went on the train rides. The nearby town of Thun was interesting; Bern was a nice day trip and paragliding in the area was fun and worth trying in this locale if you are ever going to do such a thing, even if you are somewhat risk averse.

• Liked — beautiful room and good food
  • Disliked — not especially scenic and not lots of grounds on the property
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2008

We were extremey excited about our stay in the Grand Hotel and Spa, as we had heard a lot about this hotel in the various reviews that we had read.

The hotel itself is extremely beautiful and elegant in its setting and its interiors. But and here is what left us flabbergasted, the service is extremely poor and at some points quite amateurish.

To give you an example we were in a junior suite, and when we came back one night to the room we found it extremely stuffy and hot. So we called the front desk and asked them to turn down the thermostat or to turn of the heat if that was the case. We were told that someone would be upto our room shortly to help us out but we waited for 20 some odd minutes without an answer, as it had been past 20 mins we called back the reception to remind them that we were waiting for someone to come and help us lower the temperature in our room. At that point we were told that perhaps the best option for us was that we should open our windows!

But this was not the solution we were hoping for specially since we had tried this before, we explained to the desk that we would prefer if someone helps us just turn our thermostat down as it was literally melting in our room. Finally after the second call someone came up to our room, and guess what they bought a small fan up to our room. And said that is the best they could do. Moreover he went on to lecture us that the room temprature in the room was fine, and that they the locals preferred this weather as it was warmer than what they are used to etc etc.

To cut a long story short, this is not what is to be expected from a hotel that calls itself one of the leading hotels of the world. And this was just one of the things that was lacking in the service, another thing that was quite irritating was for example if you called the front desk they never seem to answer the phones you literally have to keep waiting for 10+ mins before someone answers.

Truly dissapointed by the service, perhaps the worst that I have come across at a hotel of this class.

• Liked — Location and interior deco
  • Disliked — Customer service, staff service and efficiency
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

The Victoria-Jungfrau is a wonderful hotel situated on the main street in the middle of Interlaken. The hotel first opened in the 1800s and has been lovingly restored to its former granduer. It is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel staff is extremely professional and courteous. They go out of their way to help the guests in any way that they can. The hotel is spacious and luxurious. The rooms are large, quiet, beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. The hotel has a wonderful swimming pool and 3 hot tubs. The spa is excellent and world-class. The hotel room service-while expensive- is worth the value. ( I was sick while we were staying at the hotel and the hotel kitchen provided me with mashed potatoes, soup and porridge ( oatmeal) whenever I wanted it). I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is a wonderful place to stay. I would definitely stay there again and I would recommend it to any traveller who is going to Interlaken.

• Liked — the outstanding service, the location and the swimming pool
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

This is simply the best hotel in the world.
All right, We got a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite at check-in:)
But Beaing met at the front desk by locals, with their beautiful swiss-german accent, you really feel welcomed. I think that having many locals in their staffs is something that impressed me. Normally, in luxury hotels, you only have well educated hotellery students from all around the globe, but here, you really feel like being in Switzerland.
The room, the breakfast, the spa, the staff... It was just PERFECT!
The only thing is the parking... It's awfully expensive, but you can park for free in the street... We just noticed it at the end of our stay. We had half board, which I highly recommend, because the food in the restaurant is simply great!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — the parking fee
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!