“Friendly and good location” 3 of 5 stars

Lehmann`s Herberge
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Grindelwald 3818, Switzerland   |
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Grindelwald
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Friendly and good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

We stayed for 1 night, 1 week prior to the ski season opening. We just turned up on the doorstep at 6pm to book and stay (recommended by the Grindelwald Info Centre when we arrived). Room was comfortable, clean and warm. Excellent breakfast served by the hosts. We were happy with our accommodation, given what we were paying for. It is a guesthouse, note a hotel. I would recommend to any budget-concious traveller.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

As others have said this guesthouse is in a perfect location, handy to restaurants, the railway station, chairlifts etc. We had a good stay here for 2 nights, we had 2 rooms - a small bedroom with a balcony and a kitchen complete with dining table. When I say kitchen it did have sink, fridge etc but the knobs had been taken off the stovetop so that meant no cooking but fine if you just wanted bread, cheese etc as we did.
Breakfast was ok with cereals, cheeses & boiled eggs but 2 days of this was enough and I'd encourage the owners to review this and have some variety. What may be easy for them becomes very boring for guests.
As others have mentioned the owners were quite distant, a smile and a bit of chat goes a long way. Also as mentioned the rooms were checked and towels replaced each day - a bit of a surprise that I didn't like as I had not put away personal items.
As there were very few guests when we were there we had the bathroom to ourselves, it was down the hall, but I wouldn't want to share this during busy season as toilet and bathroom were in the same room and there didn't seem to be any other facilities to use if you were in a hurry.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - lovely to sit outside to enjoy the ambience and the cats playing in...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Venice, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

I chose this bed&breakfast because because I was travelling with a low budget and could not afford better hotels.

Anyway, the room was OK, slightly dusty on the furniture, but with a fantastic view of the huge snowy mountains in front. The bed was really bad, since I could not sleep at night. It was not comfy at all, since the mattrass was lowering in the area where the weight of my body was laying.

I was also disappointed by the breakfast, very poor, served in a noisy room (due to loud radio news or music) making me nervous. The room itself was all made of wood, but somehow the atmosphere was cold in there...

An the couple (owners of the place) were also distant and not so friendly in general. The woman tried to smile a bit, while her husband was always very serious and silent. A really strange atmosphere...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hendrik ido Ambacht
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

we planned to stay in this little hotel hotel with the well known ill-tempered owner, but after seeing this miserable room for 160 francs a night we got away as quickly as we could. I only have one advice: stay away from this overpriced dump-place and save some extra money for a real hotel! Anwyway, on the last day of 2006 we found a lovely room just across the street at the Steinbock hotel.
o, Lehmans, what a terrible place to stay!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

If you are by yourself, this place cannot be be beaten. The location is in the center of town. The view from the balcony is of the Eiger, The breakfast was superb - as soon as the best cheese was consumed, Frau Lehman brought more, The coffee was fresh, The food was unlimited. The noise ordinance at 2200 hrs was enforced! So you get some sleep. Until their kid starts running around at 0600. And there was adequate parking - 6 spaces for 6 rooms. Now, you do have to drive down a 20% grade with a 2 meter gap between walls to get to it, but my rented Citroen C5 (European Full Size) had at least 1 cm to spare on either side. If your car is too wide, there is a municiple garage a few hundred meters away for CHF18 per 24 hrs.

The bad thing, and this is because Switzerland is just a huge rip off when it comes to fleecing tourists, is that the rooms are tiny, by US standards, We had the family room, about 11ft by 8 ft for 4 people. Hence my opening comment that it is great to be by yourself. However, at 1/3 the price of the average hotel in Grindlewald, if you must visit the town, you will not beat Lehmans. You can walk to both train stations, the Glacier, the falls, the church, and the gondola all from the inn, so you won't need a car once you get here.

It was funky and beat my expectations, but I will not be back to Switzerland. I live in Colorado, and our mountains are more spectacular, our food better, free drinking water with dinner, rather than the EUR8 per bottle because thy won't give you tap in the restaurants, and our cost of living 75% lower than Switzerland. I own and rent to guests a 150 sq meter 3 bedroom condo at Keystone for a week for what I paid for a 10 sq meter room at Lehman's for 3 days! So all you world travelers who have been intoxicated by those pristine pictures of Switzerland, come to Colorado instead. I'll give you some tips on where to go if you email me at wtrav@earthlink.net

And if you go to Lehman's, take your binoculars to watch the climbers on the Eiger!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I had the pleasure of spending 10 days at Lehmanns and can say that it was delightful in every respect. True my room was basic but what I expected for $42.00 per night. The breakfast was excellent and the company(fellow guests) of very high quality. The atmosphere was warm and always friendly. Franzi was so nice and Marco was always good company. Their 2 children added to a very satisfying stay for me.

Douglas Mathieson, Boca Rtaon Fl.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Barcelona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

I spent 6 nights in this hotel and it was an extraordinary experience. My room cost 31€ per night which is incredible considering its location. The views of the Eiger are awesome. The cleanliness is remarkable: they clean the room and change the towels every day. Every little corner of this hotel has a pretty detail. I think it must be the hand of Franzi, the owner. She is so sweet and kind, and always willing to help.

You can use a dining-room for your meals if you want and you can make use of a refrigerator, an electric oven, a microwave oven, all the dishes and silverware. And they wash it all for you! They also provide you with sugar, powder milk, coffe and all kinds of tea bags. Amazing!

My room was all made of wood and it feels so warm and snug. I loved it. Most of the hotel is made of wood. Large windows, balconies and light everywhere.

The breakfast is included in the price and I found it excellent and varied.
You have bars, restaurants, stores, supermarkets and railway station at one step.

It's not a luxury hotel but it's so pretty and cozy that if I return to Grindelwald I will repeat my stay there.

It's true that in winter you can have trouble with the driveway and you should park anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Lehmann`s Herberge? Share your experiences!