“Already looking forward to my next stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Grand Bellevue

You added Le Grand Bellevue to your Saves list
Le Grand Bellevue
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hauptstrasse, Gstaad, Saanen 3780, Switzerland (Formerly Grand Hotel Bellevue)   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Montreal, Canada
“Already looking forward to my next stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

After being on the road throughout Asia for two weeks, we took a few days break at the Bellevue on our way home to Canada. It had a most positively unexpected and enjoyable stay. The facilities were impeccable and refreshing. The staff was most admirable and must be the envy of the competing hotels.

Their high standards can only come from the ("new" we are told) owner that we had the pleasure to meet. He displayed the greatest interest in finding out how we were enjoying ourselves and what he could do to make our stay even more memorable.

Finally, we loved the Bellevue's location as it was on the main street, a very short stroll away from all the restaurants, yet on the edge so that we could not be distracted by the activity.

We look forward to returning to the Bellevue in the very near future!

Room Tip: We suspect that there are no bad room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Rene,

Thank you so much for your review and rating.

I trust your return to Canada was a safe one? I know you are far away, but I do hope we can tempt you to return and try our new rooms which will be ready this December! All rooms will now have been refurbished.

Either way, it was a pleasure to have hosted you here, and am honoured for your mention.

Wishing you safe onward travels,

Daniel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in this lovely hotel for 11 nights in the beautiful village of Gstaad.Our room was fantastic, large and modern with the most gorgeous bathroom. All the staff at the hotel were first class and so friendly and efficient. The owner Daniel was on hand almost all of the time and was available to speak to at anytime.In the evening there were red and green tassles to put outside your door to let the cleaners know if you wanted it cleaned or not and they always came back to turn the bed down when you put the green tassle out. So much better than the cleaners knocking at the door as you are about to change for dinner! We chose the half board dinner menu which was a 3 course meal every night. It was beautifuly cooked by Urs but I was a little disappointed that it was only 3 courses with no little extras! Also I wasn't keen on the menu being the same for lunch specials and dinner!The bar area is fabulous and the cocktails amazing, also the bar menu is very good for a snack lunch.It is lovely sitting on the terrace in the sunshine having lunch and also sitting in the garden reading later. Overall we had a fabulous holiday in a wonderful area of the Bernese Oberland and cant wait to go back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the double room superior and it was very modern and fabulous but the owner is renovatin...
Dear 'Lucycharmax',

It is so lovely that you appreciated our special property, and my thanks for sharing this with other travelers. This is such an important element for us, and we are grateful!

It is also wonderful to hear about the details which our guests most appreciate, and those with a keen eye for detail. Our objective is to never disturb our guests, but always be available, so our door tassels is one such example, thank you for noticing. I do hope you will return soon, as we have now even more special key chains, which I am certain you will appreciate, along the same lines.

With best regards and wishing you pleasant hotel stays...

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had never been to the Alps in summer and we decided on an end of summer mini break to stay in the beautiful Bellevue hotel in Gstaad. It has recently been bought by charming young couple Daniel and Davia. Daniel welcomes all guests personally and his knowledgeable and loving attention to detail is everywhere. Davia is renovating and redecorating the entire hotel with her impeccable taste and what she has done so far is stunning. Cosy but stylish drawing room areas with a magnificent log fire and a wonderful open plan bar and dining room. We enjoyed fantastic cocktails and champagne and ate delicious nibbles before moving across to dinner. The whole hotel has a brilliant buzz to it and the service, especially at the front desk is fantastic. It is right in the centre of Gstaad but nonetheless both the rooms and gardens are hugely spacious. The spa and all the different saunas have to be experienced to be believed and we thoroughly enjoyed our treatments. We will definitely be back with our 3 small children for another visit in the ski season.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
LGBgstaad, Inhaber at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear PickyTrav,

My apologies for this highly belated reply to what was such a kind review!

As you may imagine, we have been very hands on in the renovation process, and we managed now to finalise the renovation of the full hotel (rooms and public areas). As such, it means my responses are a little delayed! Sorry.

Your comments are exactly that which I would wish for, so thank you so much! We try hard to balance all of our guests needs and tastes, so your appreciation for what we have done makes it all so worthwhile. I do hope you return for some skiing (weather today is fabulous!!! Feb 27th!).

With kind regards to you and your whole family.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I have been going to Gstaad for over 20 years now. I have stayed at the Palace, Arc en ciel, Hotel Olden, Post hotel, all the little inns and cabins, chalets and apartments. I have also stayed at the old Bellevue. You name it most likely I have stayed there!
Though we always loved the Palace hotel, our regular had become hotel Olden as it was very convenient and center in the village. However this year my husband convinced me to go back to Bellevue as he had never stayed there. I have to admit I am so glad he insisted. My new and absolute favorite hotel is the Bellevue. It is by far better than all the rest including the new one Hotel Alpina. It all comes down to one person and the kind of service that you will get and that is its new owner Mr. Daniel Koetser. From the moment we walked through the hotel’s doors Daniel greeted us hello and greeted us goodbye when we left 10 days later. He is present at all times. He is very much hands on and is available to greet, talk, help in any way that he can to make sure that each and every guest feels special and comfortable as if you are not in just his hotel with many other people but in his own home as his special private guest. This amazing presence and courtesy trickles down to his superb staff.
We have an annual gathering in Gstaad every year and can be as many as 150 people. In less than 9 hour notice, Daniel and his staff were able to prepare and organize my husband’s recital for the family at the hotel and provide aperitif and catering. In an even shorter time they were able to entertain 20 children with a movie in their adorable private theatre with dinner and popcorn.
I have to also share that I think we had the best suite in the hotel. The “Panorama” room is the 2-story room right in the triangle face of the hotel. We had the beautiful view of the pond, garden and the village as well as the mountains and slopes – literally everything!
If you like relaxing then you will also like their pool and Zen like spa. After the steam don’t forget to get your hairstyle done just ready for dinner.
My husband and I are “foodie” people and he is a wine connoisseur. We were quite impressed by the food and the wine list. It is comparable to any Michelin star restaurants. Aside from their gourmet menu, the chef was able to cook on moments notice to please my 2 daughters who unfortunately are picky eaters.
I also have to send a shout out to Mr. Olivier the concierge there. Having 2 young daughters, they were able to put a list of things to do that were child friendly. There are 2 zoos near by if in case you need to go to one. He got us a car and a driver to entertain us and drive to different near by villages for different reasons. We saw the Gruyere Chateau, the Cailler chocolate factory and many more. There is nothing that Olivier cannot do! Just ask.
Not once did they tell me that something was not possible and I threw many last minute things at them! I have traveled to more than 38 countries and stayed in many best hotels in the world and I can confidently say that you will not get this degree of unconditional service and personal care anywhere else. I congratulate Mr. Koetser as I can only imagine the hotel industry is not easy and certainly is competitive but he is leading that competition in Gstaad. We go back every year and now The Bellevue has become our home in Gstaad.
Thank you so much everyone at Bellevue,
Mandana

Room Tip: Panorama room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Mandana,

I am not sure where to begin to respond to your absolutely marvelous commentary, but perhaps first of all my apologies for this somewhat belated reply! The hotel has been wonderfully full, which inexcusably has resulted in a delayed response time... am working backwards.

You are so kind to have taken the time to share your positive feeling of our hotel, particularly with regards to the intricate details and care for which we try and look after our guests. This is something which we are not able to advertise, but can only be transmitted by word of mouth, and for this I am so grateful to you.

Your family are truly welcome here, and the 'daily challenges' are what keeps our team motivated and interested beyond all else. Thank you for your trusted loyalty, and my team and I look very much forwards to your next trip.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a superb holiday here and it is difficult to find anything to fault. We were staying on a seven for five day deal with five excellent dinners included and I thought the price was very reasonable, particularly as Gstaad is not cheap. We weren't quite happy with the room we were allocated (although it would have been perfectly acceptable) and we were shown another possibility in the chalet style annex which was bigger, with a south and west balcony. We felt very at home here. Some people might object to the slight extra walk to the hotel, but we did not.

The room was impeccably cleaned in the morning and the turn down service every evening resulted in more tidying of the room.

Breakfast on the terrace next to the lavender was a delight and so many options were available.
Dinner was equally excellent. Service was extremely attentive without being too intrusive.

The spa is the best I have seen, very large with seven different types of room and a very Zen feeling to it. We could really relax there. Lovely swimming pool as well.

All the staff were really interested in our well-being and this was not just for show. Daniel, the owner, was very much present and always checking that everything was to our satisfaction and I am sure this added to the general level of care.

An excellent hotel which was not so large as to become impersonal, and we had a really lovely holiday.

Room Tip: The chalet annex was quieter and suited us better. South and west facing is best.
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear LondonPhilipG,

This is a highly belated thank you note for your very kind review. I do hope now that we have fully completed the renovation of all the rooms that we may tempt you back?

I am delighted you were also able to take advantage of our Spa. As you mention, the hotel is very small considering all the facilities we have, and our Spa is truly world class. This results in a wonderfully unique, and private experience in our Spa, and I am pleased you were able to take advantage.

I wish you all the best in your travels, and hope we may welcome you back here soon.

Many thanks again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Bellevue for the last 5 years and went back in August 2013 to eat in the restaurant. The complete update to the foyer, furnishings and facilities is immediately pleasing; the old chrome and leather look of the 1960's (which we rather liked) is now ''soft and squsihy''; the cocktail bar is now adjacent to the main restaurant and the new owners are cosmetically changing the look and feel of an aristocratic hotel.

The restaurant is much better than at any time in the last 3 years. Set menu (good) is a reasonabl;e CHF70; great cocktails; service is friendly although not very qualified (typical problem of recruiting career people around Gstaad); a rather poor selection of Swiss Wines disappoints; good fresh ingredients although little creativity in presenting classical ''mountain'' dishes.

The Bellevue faces immense competition in Gstaad (especially with the opening of the new Alpina Hotel) so it has to try harder and this is evident in the attitude of the new owners. For a posh meal, it's very good and should get even better.

Note that the Spa is also excellent although you will pay top prices for everything becasue it's Gstaad.

Room Tip: Suites are interesting and varied.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Noel G,

It has been a year since your very kind review to which I am most grateful. Thank you so much for having visited us, and for the continued support following our renovation.

I am delighted you appreciate all the changes. We have now also completed the full renovation of the rooms, so I do hope you shall come by and see them.

One of your comments struck me to heart, and which I fully agree with you on, with regards to the small selection of Swiss Wines. My sommelier and I have dramatically increased this, with now 67 references of Swiss wines.

I do hope you shall find the time to enjoy these here in the near future and wish you all the best in the mean time.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the hotel. The front of house staff are very helpful and polite, and our room was spacious and comfortable, although the replacement of the furniture as part of the scheduled refurbishment will be welcome.The facilities are excellent as is the location so close to the centre.
Whilst the food in the restaurant was very good and commensurate to its standing, the restaurant staff (barman excluded) at dinner really let down the hotel. Staff seems polite, but there is so much more to service at this level. Our bill contained an extra charge and having ordered a dish on the server's recommendation, a different meal was provided (this was confirmed on the bill). Although the extra charge was removed, such basic errors are not to be expected at a 5* establishment. We thought about giving the restaurant a second chance as the dinner menu had impressed. However, we wanted a table for dinner on the terrace in spite of the downpour in the afternoon. We have been told that the weather was to be clear for the rest of the afternoon/evening (and it was so), and the front of house staff (manager?) offered to have a table set up in the presence of the restaurant manager. However, when we later tried to confirm the table, the restaurant manager would not agree to the table. It was particularly disappointing when we saw two people who appeared to be finishing on the terrace when we returned from town later that evening.

LGBgstaad, Owner at Le Grand Bellevue, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear GPLove,

My apologies for not writing sooner, however since your comment, we have been heartily working on improving all of our facilities and structure to address exactly the valid comments which you have made. I am highly confident now with the new team, the new structure, and direction that you will be wholesomely pleased with the new restaurant Leonards and the excellent staff which we have now in place.

I thank you for the comments, and shall continue with my team to improve each element to ensure such disappointment does not occur again.

I wish you the best, and hope you shall give us another opportunity to delight you.

Daniel

Been to Le Grand Bellevue? Share your experiences!