“Great Old Style Service. Loved it.” 5 of 5 stars

Gstaad Palace Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Palacestrasse, Gstaad, Saanen 3780, Switzerland   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Gstaad
Southend-on-Sea, England
“Great Old Style Service. Loved it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We spent 5 nights at the Gstaad Palace in August 2010 and really liked it. The staff were superb the room that we had was excellent and the spa was terrific. The food in the dining room was also very good indeed. I am not sure if this hotel would suit someone wanting something more contemporary but if its old style grandeur and top quality service and food that you are looking for then don't think twice - stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lyme, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Upon entering the palatial setting of the Gstaad Palace, either in winter or summer, one immediately feels the historic opulence and wealth that is seen from the oak paneled salon to the warm terrace with views of the alps.

Pros:
- Fabulous and newly renovated spa with indoor/outdoor pool and jacuzzi. Made entirely out of steel, the flashy jacuzzi and woodburning fire in the spa waiting room transfer you to a sleek James Bond hideout.
- The restaurants are delicious and a offer a variety of culinary delights. choose from Gildo's( delicious homemade Pasta dishes) or the traditional swiss fondue restaurant, and Le Grille, which offers superb poultry and beef.
- The rooms: expensive but worth the price. Lavishly decorated and all offer spectacular views, of the mountains, hotel grounds, the village. One warning: standard rooms can be quite small, so for stays of more than 3 days, I suggest a suite. Also, some of the smaller rooms face the parking lot, so request ahead for village or mountain view
- The concierge is helpful, but Gstaad is small enough that a concierge is not very necessary
- Great Ski store located in the hotel
- tennis courts and pool in the summer

Cons:
- it is located above the town of Gstaad, and most prefer to take the shuttle( 3 minutes to town center) or private car to town( parking can be expensive). There is a steep path to the town center
- the town is at a low altitude and snow can be lacking

In all, I suggest this hotel to those wanting the posh and elegance of a 5 star euro hotel and the beauty and activities of switzerland.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We visited the hotel several times over the 2010 ski season. I should point out from the outset that we did not stay at the hotel, only used the restaurants and Spa. While the decor / ambience / food at the restaurants was excellent, and the facilities at the Spa very impressive, this review is a comment on the service element.

One of the reviews below mentions a certain kind of snooty attitude from the staff, and the management reply is that "this isn't policy" and that this is discouraged. (As if it would be!) From my experience, the hotel has some considerable room for improvent.

On one occasion we attempted to book a table at short notice to go to the Fromagerie restaurant. No tables were available. Fair enough, it was a busy time, and I had no resevation. After several phone calls, we were eventually given a table at about 10:30 PM, having been told that nothing at all was available until then. What irritated me is that when we arrived at the restaurant, it was literally half empty. I find it hard to believe that half the restaurant all paid and finished at the same time. Its not like they forgot about me, I had been calling every 30 minutes, as instructed. I understand they want to keep their tables free for their guests, but then don't tell me to keep calling later to see if anything is available. Rude.

On another occassion we visited the Spa. The service at the spa was non existent. What service did I need? Nothing, apart from someone to pick up the wet towels and clear away the drinks that other pool users left all over the place, which left the place looking a mess. We were there for over 4 hours, and no one came to tidy anything away. Upon leaving, I got ready before my wife did, so I waited for her in the reception area. The staff rudely told me I had to leave as the spa was closing. I replied that I had to wait, as my wife was still changing. They asked me to tell her to hurry up. I should point out that no warning was given the spa was closing had been made, nor was there any sign displayed. Rude.

That same day, we again visited the Fromagerie (which is a very nice restaurant, by the way). Again, excellent food, no complaints there. The table next to us was an American family, who according to the wife have been coming to the hotel and staying for 2 weeks every February for at least 20 years. This time, the service was much better. So far so good. Then a table of about 20 Greek shipping billionaires and their associated WAGS and kids turned up. From that point on, we, and the American family were TOTALLY IGNORED, to the point where neither of us could even get someone's attention to bring us the bill, as every waiter was completely buzzing around the billionaires table. You dont ignore your other diners because a bigger check has come along. Rude.

After that, we decided to go to the hotel lobby lounge area to have a post dinner drink. Despite at least 6 tables being free, the waiter that met us at the area hestitated before seating us. "Are you going to sit for, what, like about 30 minutes, is that OK?". The waiter in question was wearing a jacket at least 3 sizes too big, and had stains on it. Again, either give a table or don't. Rude.

The overriding impression I got was a hotel geared to servicing these so-called "VIPs" that are so obviously in evidence, and ordinary civilians can fill in whatever availability there is, as long as there is virtually no chance any VIP would be denied a spur of the moment visit. While it is normal for a hotel or a restaurant to keep rooms and tables free for valued clients, it isn't normal though to make people who are ultimately paying the same prices as anyone else, to be made to feel so obviously like second class citizens.

Yield management at its worst.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
MLehnort, General Manager at Gstaad Palace Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2010
Dear CuriousGeorge01 ,

Many thanks for your interesting feedback recently posted. We have picked up the concerns you raised. They are very helpful for us to train our staff when it comes to attitude. The best way to learn is to learn from mistakes.

Yours sincerely,

Andrea Scherz
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Absolutely amazing place to stay, to relax, to work. Big rooms with every facility you need.
Great location, big balcony with views to the alps.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

Fleeting visit to Gstaad for a bit of skiing. Stayed at The Palace as was recommended by friends. Enjoyed it, but not sure if we would stay again. It was almost very good, but was let down by minor things throughout the stay. Can see how it could be world class - just needs a little more polish though.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

We came to the Gstaad Palace for the amazing tennis week with Roy Emerson. At first I was worried that we were well out of our depth having never stayed at a 5 star European hotel before. The room was incredible and I was only slightly embarrassed when I found that the staff would lay out my pyjamas if I left them under the pillow (they are designed for comfort not looks!)

The huge bathroom was a welcome retreat when I needed a bath after a hard day on the courts. The food was incredible and despite playing nearly 5 hours of tennis a day, I still managed to put on weight. The spa is incredible - albeit the prices are eye-watering and I wasn't aware that people would pay so much for such tiny items of spa-clothing.

I didn't experience any of the snobbery that others have referred to - quite the opposite in fact. If you love tennis, this is one of the most amazing things to treat yourself to. We are going back there this July having saved very hard to afford it - can't wait.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

First, the setting is unforgettable. Admittedly, It lacks the dramatic, jaw-dropping scenery of the towering Alps as viewed in other parts of the Bernese Oberland. Instead, the Palace backdrop features a more serene Alpine beauty, with lovely hills and mountain areas. It's as stunning as Adelboden and Grindelwald, but in a different, more understated way.

My friend and I came to the Palace for a girls get-away. We received a great package deal: the three night stay included one free night, breakfast buffet each day, a four-course dinner for three nights, and a 50 minute massage or, in the alternative, two 25 minute massages. We loved every minute of our stay.

The staff was so friendly, particularly the maid service. In the morning, as soon as we left for breakfast, the staff immediately cleaned our room--seemingly within minutes of our departure. The cleaning staff greeted us with big, genuine smiles, looking sincerely happy to work at this hotel. Turn down service was lovely, with bottled water placed by our beds along with fabulous Swiss chocolates.

The bathroom featured great Molten Brown products. In both the bathroom and the hallway there were loads of cabinet and closet space.

The waiters were friendly, good-natured, and accommodating--particularly the Italian waiters. Both my friend and I don't eat red meat, and the waiters provided additional servings of the delicious fish and vegetable offerings. The food was over-the-top wonderful. The dessert was decadent. A very talented piano player/singer entertained at dinner-time.

I loved the spa! It's gorgeous--a lovely set up with beautiful views of the indoor and outdoor pools, and the surrounding greenery. While maintaining its character as an Alpine luxury retreat, the set-up seemed very modern and a bit Zen. There were countless comfortable lounging areas where I could relax in my comfy, plush spa robe near large window overlooking the indoor and outdoor pools, enjoying tea and other healthy treats. A beautiful fireplace serves as the centerpiece of the spa area—it must be amazing all lit up during wintertime.

The outdoor thermal pool featured an array of jet massages for tired, sore muscles. This was much needed after our two-hour stroll in the amazing mountains turned into a five hour journey. Thank goodness for those Irish boys who gave us a lift back to Gstaad!

If you visit the Palace, spend time soaking in the thermal pool while gazing at the beautiful mountainous surroundings and listening to the cowbells clang in the nearby alpine villages as the sun sets. It’s an unforgettable memory.

Yes, the hotel is older, and some hallways are seemingly sparse. But it is elegantly sparse. And keep in mind, old doesn't mean tired. The Palace is spotless, classic and replete with modern conveniences. The bar and patio areas are inviting, refined and gorgeous.

I never encountered any of the perceived "snobbery" from the hotel described in a prior, and in my opinion, extremely unfair review. Upon check-out, the hotel clerk ( so handsome!) inquired about our stay, wanting to make certain all went well. He enthusiastically recommended a return trip in winter. I hope one day to return to this lovely hotel in this majestic, peaceful setting.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Gstaad Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!