“Cute and tasty! ” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 292 Restaurants in Lucerne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
“Cute and tasty! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Really nice and comfy place to have a good dinner at the end of the day! Of course to go this place it's because you want fondue and a nice wine :)
Any fondue you choose it will be worthy

• Thai first
Moscow, Russia
“Niiiiiiiice :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We visited this place with colleagues and got real joy. Everythign was deliciuos, desserts were fantastic. It's not a cheap place but worth to visit it. It's located not far from lion monument so you can to plan you lunch or dinner after you enjoy lion :) but it's better to book the table in advance because it's very popular place. The atmosphere is acient especially inside the building.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tempe, Arizona
“Its not worth the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went there in May 2014 on our trip to Lucerne after reading some good reviews on TA. We made a reservation and coz I am a vegetarian, we asked them if they have something vegetarian. The person replied that they do have some veg options. When we reached, the ambience was good and table settings were very pretty and elegant. However, when we asked for the options, they only had one option as vegetarian - ricotta stuffed ravioli which wasn't that great. They told me that I can order some side dishes which are vegetarian like Roesti so I ordered that along with the cheese ravioli. My husband ordered filet of lamb with Potato Gratin. He said it was okay not great. The weirdest thing was that water bottle here costs freaking 13$. I am like who pays that much for a water bottle. Food I believe is lil expensive but everywhere in Switzerland its expensive, so there is no escape. I believe this place is famous for Schnitzel and my husband shud order that in order to be safe. Also they were making it on side of table which adds to the charm.

My verdict: if you wanna go here for ambience, then its worth a visit otherwise the food isn't that great.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Perth, United Kingdom
“Expensive Sausage?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Old Swiss House is in Lowenplatz around the corner from the famous carved lion (Lowendenkmal). It seems to be fairly authentic, old and Swiss. Inside the decor and ambiance is what you might want an old Swiss house restaurant to look like. I gather that it was built in the late 1800s and was turned into a restaurant around 1931. It is still run by the Buholzer family and the current manager, who was organising everything while we were there, is Philipp Buholzer. The waiters and waitresses too maintain the authentic Swiss theme with their national dress and excellent attentive service. The waiters and waitresses are also very friendly and serve you with some style.

It was a very hot and humid day in Lucerne so we sat outside, initially for drinks only. We enjoyed the ambiance so much that we stayed longer than we had expected and so continued into lunch. The Swiss bratwurst special with rosti and onion sauce was delicious too (easily the best suasage I had in my three day visit to Lucerne.....and I had 3 or 4). The house speciality seems to be the Swiss chocolate mousse - don't eat too much of it though!

Very nice experience and not at all the tourist trap or over cliched place I might have expected. Expensive sausage though! 75 CHF per head for lunch.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
NJ
“Far Better Than Expected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Honestly, someplace named the "Old Swiss House" sounds like a tourist trap, with Swiss costumes, and the exterior looks a bit cliched. However, I can't emphasize enough that the food and the service are absolutely superb. This is a class restaurant. As others have mentioned, a fair part of their food is prepared table side, which is very nicely performed. The wiener schnitzel was excellent in particular.

Along their wall, they have the signed pics of various politicians and celebrities, including loads of stars and starlets and most of the recent US presidents, as is not unusual. What is a bit unique is that in among this group is a pic thanking for eating there from the Three Stooges. Made my day somehow.

Visited July 2014