“I want to live at The HOTEL” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sempacherstrasse 14, Lucerne 6002, Switzerland   |
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Lucerne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Raleigh, NC
“I want to live at The HOTEL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I was a long-term resident at the HOTEL (several months at a time) since 2003 when it just opened when I was working in Lucerne on a client's site. I've traveled and stayed many upscale hotels, but this was by far my most favorite place to stay. I loved everything, from the room design to food at the hotel restaurant Bamboo to the nicest and most attentive staff and the hotel manager. Because of this impecable service, I never felt that I was staying in a hotel. Everything they use in the hotel is top of the line: luxury Frette sheets, Face Stockholm soaps and shampoos, etc. Incredibly clean!!! I don't understand why people are complaining about the church bells, my room was facing the chapel and I just loved the sound of the chuch bells - gives you that feeling of the European old town charm. Very hip place! I wish I could live there!!! Highly recommend it to anyone.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

First, Lucerne is a wonderful little city, I would highly recommend it for anyone traveling through Switzerland. We were only there one cold day and night so we didn't even get to take advantage of all the city has to offer. But it is very hip and has a slight art deco feel amongst these wonderful old buildings and picturesque scenery.
The hotel was very nice, nearly 5 star service. They fed our parking meter coins for us, brought fresh towels at least twice, fresh fruit in the room, they upgraded us to a suite, had a lit candle in our bathroom when returned for the evening, and Bulgari toiletries were provided. The downsides, however, were the church bells ringing late afternoon Saturday and Sunday morning at 09:45. We are talking about a symphony of bells for 10 minutes straight. The hallway and lobby of the hotel were more of a 3-4 star quality.
The location is very good, accessible to the train station, Rosengart museum and a quick walk to the river and Old Town.
The only other downside was the 30CHF per person breakfast (not included in our rate) which I could not justify, so we ate elsewhere. We had already paid 18CHF for 2 beers in the lounge the night before, which I also thought was ridiculoulsy expensive. But all in all, a very nice hotel and great city.

• Liked — Cleaniness, decor
  • Disliked — Church bells
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Hellas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

One weekend before Christmas we stayed in a Carden & Park deluxe room. The Hotel is excellent in terms of design and cosiness. However, the bells from the church were a disappointment, as they ring early in the afternoon.
Another thing is that when I booked the room there was no special offer. Two weeks before the specific weekend I checked the web site and found a special offer that brought the total price to 2/3 of the original. I had to send e-mail and complain about it. At the end everything was fine.
Overall The Hotel is a wonderful hotel. I would go again.

• Liked — Design
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

I am writing this review from my luxurious bed in The Hotel, midway through a weekend of leisure before I return to my business meetings in Schaffhausen.

First of all, I am in love with Switzerland!!! And Lucerne is beautiful. This hotel has been the icing on the cake for me. The staff is amazing. Every single person, from the concierge to the chambermaid to the person who took my room service order has been delightful, friendly and warm.

The room is chic and contemporary, with beautiful wood floors and hi-tech controls for the lighting and electric windowshades. Every detail has been considered. The ceiling graphic (from the film "That Obscure Object of Desire") is gorgeous.

The location is perfect. Walking distance to everything, but not in the center of "Old Town" and I'm glad for that. I almost booked a room at the Krone and now that I see where it is located I would have hated it. Fine during the day, but really noisy at night. This location is incredibly quiet and lovely, while close enough to walk to the nightlife if you so choose.

I cannot wait to come back to Lucerne with my boyfriend. The only downside for me is not having him here to share this experience!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

This hotel was an absolute pleasure to stay at. We only decided to stay there at the very last minute, and the staff were very accommodating. Not only did they offer us a great last minute rate, but also upgraded our room. Every detail was attended to- the breakfast was sensational and the location could not have been better. Just a minute's walk to the train station and the lake. The room itself was immaculate and had a view over the park across the road. Thank you so much to all the lovely staff who looked after us during our stay.

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

We just returned from a five night stay at The Hotel. In a nutshell, I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again next time I'm in Lucerne (or anywhere near Central Switzerland for that matter). It was a gorgeous space (for architecture buffs, a "must see", even if you can't get a room there), the hotel and individual room had all the necessities and luxuries, and the service was impeccable.

The location was ideal- about two blocks away from the river, and the Chapel Bridge, Lucerne's most famous landmark. It is also within walking distance to the train station, and most of the well reviewed restaurants that we had read about before heading to Lucerne. The Hotel sits on the corner of a cute park where people play chess when it's sunny. If my German was better I would have challenged the local champ to a game. As it was, it was nice just being able to watch.

The staff was, in a word, wonderful. One of the big pluses of a boutique hotel is personalized service, and this was one of The Hotels strong suits. They were all genuinely friendly, extremely helpful with recommendations on restaurants, directions, etc.

We stayed in a "Corner Junior Suite" with a balcony overlooking the park-- it was positively luxurious even by American standards. The room was huge. We had an enormous, deliciously soft king sized bed. Free wireless in the room was totally key, very fast, and extremely easy to use (no passwords or anything). A few words on the bathroom--it had all the amenities of home, including a double vanity, and it was absolutely luxurious. The only downside was that the lighting wasn't that great. Water pressure in the shower was out of this world. Didn't try the full sized tub, but it looked pretty inviting. (I throw this in here because one of the big worries with traveling to Europe is always the bathroom amenities, and here that wasn't an issue at all. Quite the opposite in fact.) One note about the design of the room-- very contemporary. The ceiling depicted a scene from one of the architect's favorite movies. My husband and I loved it, but I think some might find that it takes a little getting used to.

We traveled around Switzerland for about 10 days, and I must say that say that breakfast in the restaurant downstairs was a true standout-- everything was fresh and delicious. The buttery croissants almost fell apart in your hands they were so soft and flaky; the coffee was strong and dark, served with warm milk on the side; the cheese and meats were divine, and the mueselix (sp?) was divine. We ordered room service once and it was entirely consistent with the quality of the breakfast served downstairs. Bam Bou, the Asian fusion restaurant, was also wonderful. The Lounge at the hotel is apparently "the place to be" when it comes to the nightlife of the city. Though I can see why (the space is gorgeous), we didn't make it down there ourselves because we were too tired from sightseeing and hiking. That said, if it gets loud down there, we never heard a peep upstairs, even with our balcony door open.

Overall, I would stay that this was the best hotel I've stayed at in Europe because it had the entire package-- wonderful staff, great location, and all the amenities/luxuries even a picky couple like us would want when we're on vacation. The combination of all of these factors made The Hotel an instrumental part of what turned out to be a really great vacation.

• Liked — It was the entire package-- excellent amenities, service, and location
  • Disliked — occasionally dim lighting
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Hotel Lucerne? Share your experiences!