“Beautiful hotel on the outside, but worn out on the inside” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Monopol Luzern

Save Saved
You added Hotel Monopol Luzern to your Saves list
Hotel Monopol Luzern
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pilatusstrasse 1 | Direkt beim Bahnhof Luzern, Lucerne 6002, Switzerland   |
Ranked #11 of 63 hotels in Lucerne
Columbia, South Carolina
“Beautiful hotel on the outside, but worn out on the inside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was originally booked for the Hotel Alpina, but upon arriving, there was a note on the door telling me to go to the Hotel Monopol to check in. When I got there, I was informed by the staff that I was being "upgraded" to the Hotel Monopol with no further explanation. I was excited because I thought our room would be a lot better than the Alpina because from the outside, the Hotel Monopol looks amazing! As a single traveler, I was given a room with one single bed and a sofa. The bed looked and felt more like a cot with the pillow being about an inch thin and the blanket being really small. The best part of the room was the bathroom. The bathtub was amazing and the water pressure was great! It made for an amazing hot shower, especially after being outside in the cold and rainy weather.

Unfortunately, I felt like I was staying in a private room of a hostel. This is more because of the bed situation. The room wasn't bad, it just felt like someone through a cot in there. The TV was great. There were only about 5 English channels, but honestly I wasn't in the room much other than to sleep, so this didn't really bother me.

The breakfast buffett that was included definitely left much to be desired. I've seen better at other European hotels that claim to be 4 star.

One thing I will give this 5 stars on, is the location. It literally is right across from the train station, which is perfect and within walking distance of anywhere in Lucerne that you want to go. There is also a starbucks inside the building. Just keep in mind that everything in Lucerne is about double what you pay in the states, even if the CHF is about the same as the USD. A white mocha at Starbucks was about 8 CHF whereas in the states is about $5 USD for a grande. Burger King was another story. A whopper value meal was about 14 CHF and that was for the medium size. You don't get refills on your drinks and each condiment is .30 CHF a piece. Plus they only give you one napkin. Not to go off course, but just to give a little bit of advice on how much money to bring for meals. Also, attached to the hotel is a restaurant called NY Food. The pizza is absolutely amazing!!! I would highly recommend that.

One last note, you can get free wifi in the lobby by connecting to the Starbucks. If you want it in your room, you have to pay. I was in room 521, which didn't really have a view of anything except buildings.

Not sure if I would go back to Lucerne, but if I did, I'm not sure if this is where I would stay. Depends on the price, since the location is perfect. Not sure I can handle the bed again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Petersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

As I was staying 5 nights in Luzern in late October as a centre for rail travel throughout Switzerland, I needed a comfortable hotel near the railway station. The Monopol fitted this requirement perfectly; the room was spacious, comfortable and very clean and the breakfast gave plenty of choice, with effecient and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Confignon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were undecided whether to give this hotel 3 or 4 stars. The location is great, and our triple room was large and clean. But the rooms have a very dated feel, with sombre decor. Also, the windows are not very soundproof, so it is quite noisy at night. The greatest shame of this hotel is that they have no lobby to speak of. It feels like entering a food court. The staff are friendly, and the breakfast was fine (but nothing special). We enjoyed our stay, but in terms of value for money, one could probably do better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the lake, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hotel_MONOPOL_Luzern, Manager at Hotel Monopol Luzern, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear the4newmans,

We thank you very much for your feedback. Our hotel rooms were renovated 10 years ago and these can not yet be out of date. The art of room furnishing is a matter of taste. However, it was seen in the rooms refurbishment that they are classically elegant. Perlmuth-colored light-colored walls, brown-gray furniture with gold border, beige-brown desk chairs, beige fauteuills and sofas, shiny mirrors behind wall lights, white bedding linen, white-bright day curtains, red carpets, light gray table tops, all in all not really too dark.

The windows are soundproof and heat isolating. When the windows are closed, it's quiet even at our central location. With the windows open, it is in the center of course not very quiet. But we have quiet courtyard rooms.

In two places, we have a lobby in our hotel. At the entrance to the right side, followed by the reception, and after the reception, it has a second lobby. By the entrance there is on the left hand side the Starbucks Coffee restaurant, which highly value our international guests.

Thanks for the good feedback that the staff was friendly and helpful. I am happy to inform them about your feedback.

The price-performance range corresponds Lucerne values. That the room in the world famous city of Lucerne can not compare with a mountain village, was founded with the very expensive land prices in Lucerne.

We would be very pleased to welcome you again in our hotel Monopol in Lucerne.

Very, very best wishes

Brigitte Heller
Hotel General Manager
Belvidere, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I had read the reviews prior to booking, and hesitated to book, but I wanted something really close to the train station and this hotel fit the bill. The check in staff was very welcoming and everything went well with my check-in. We had a quiet room on the 6th floor, but our view was an interior view of the rooms on the other side of the hotel. It was a little loud from the rooftop lounge, but not too bad.

The room and bathroom were very generous in size. However, the decor is very dated. The room could definitely use some updating. There is a flat screen T.V. and a few English speaking stations. The bed was comfortable and the toiletries were adequate. There is a hair dryer, but you had to hold down the power button the whole time you used it which was annoying.

The breakfast was very average and if it wasn't included I wouldn't pay for it. There is no free wi-fi, but there is a Starbucks on the main floor and it was easy to access the internet from there.

The location was excellent. We were able to walk all over Lucerne and catch our excursion at the Travel Bureau at the train station. Staying here enable us to avoid taxi charges to/from the train station as it was right across the street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
San Felice Circeo, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Spent 5 nights in this four star hotel, the rooms were generously sized and included a Bath in the bathroom. This hotel was clearly aimed at Business use and for this it was excellent, the location nest to the station and very close to the KKL was great. Breakfast was pretty average, and the atmostphere was not great. It suited my needs.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with a View - far too noisey at night
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Monopol the second week of September and were amazed at the size of our room. It was clean with a huge bathroom that had two sinks which we really appreciated. The room also had a nice sitting area. It is next to the train station and easy to find. We enjoyed the free Wifi that Starbucks offered which is located in the hotel. My only complaint was that the staff was not very friendly. They just starred at us when we arrived and did not greet us. An employee was standing in the aisle and did not attempt to move as I tried to pass her with my suitcase. I accidently brushed her foot and she gave me a disgusted look. I excused myself and got no response back from her. Definitely rude staff. The hotel also was a bit noisey. I could hear people talking long after we went to bed. This is a nice hotel if you are only staying 1-2 nites. Very big and very impersonal. McDonalds is also in this hotel and a Burger King is near if you must have american food. The breakfast was included with our hotel stay and it was very good.

Room Tip: The elevator is slow and small so if your in a hurry dont stay on the upper floors. Taking the stair...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Monopol Luzern? Share your experiences!