“Absoultely Unbelievable View! Number one hotel for a reason” 4 of 5 stars

Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Adligenswilerstrasse 22, Lucerne 6002, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 63 hotels in Lucerne
Atlanta, Georgia
“Absoultely Unbelievable View! Number one hotel for a reason”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have stayed in hotels with great views but none that compare to the view from the Montana. I walked in the room and could see the lake through the doors opening to the balcony I immediately walked outside and was in awe. It was a clear day so I could see the mountains, the town, the lake, etc. Perfection. Definitely get a lake side room. The difference in cost is nominal. It is more than worth it.

Check-in - Maria checked me into the hotel. She was professional and polite but more importantly friendly and helpful. She offered me a bottle of water while I waited for my room to be ready which only took 10 minutes. I thought this was great since I checked in at noon and thought it would be three hours before I could get into my room. She also gave me a map and showed me some of the sights. She recommended Mt. Rigi and I am glad she did. It was great. The hotel is fortunate to have Maria welcoming guests. She offers a great first impression.

Other staff I encountered in the hallways, etc. always had a smile on their faces.

I had a single room. It was small but well laid out so it didn't feel cramped at all. It had a full size bathroom including a large bathtub. The bed was comfortable. There was an IPad docking station and a Bose sound system. I was there on vacation; however, there is a large desk that would be great if you were there on business. I've already talked about the view which you can see while laying in bed. Housekeeping did a great job considering the floors are hardwood or laminate and the dust from having the doors constantly open must make it tough to keep clean. Good job by them.

I really liked the funicular that takes you from street level to the hotel. Very unique and convenient. It is a very pretty and easy walk to the city center. It only took 15 minutes to walk to the train station.

I liked that they had apples located all over the hotel. One morning I grabbed one for breakfast on my way out the door. Speaking of food, I didn't eat in the restaurants because I was out early / late on day trips.

Air Conditioning - I hate to bring this up because it sounds like there is nothing the hotel can do about it (due to building or historical reasons); however, the room can get a little warm. There is a fan in the room. I was fortunate that the evenings cooled down so I could open the balcony doors and it wasn't too bad. It quickly cooled down the room. Hot or not, I would even stay here in the heat of summer, all because of the view.

Hotel Key: I read complaints about the room key. Simply review the room key from the unique block of wood and leave the wood in the room. Simple fix:)

Suggestion: It would be nice if an employee showed guests to their room. Not to carry their bags but to show them how everything works in the room. I've been to Europe quite a few times but always like it when the staff can show me how everything works in the room and where outlets, etc. are located.

In closing, I would definitely stay in this hotel again and of course request a room with a lake view.

Tip: There is a grocery store at the train station. Handy for wine, beer, snacks, water, etc. before you catch train to see the sites. I recommend a trip to Mt. Rigi and a trip to Lugano. Absolutely beautiful to take a boat ride on Lake Lugano. Also enjoyed Bern, Geneva, Interlaken, Zurich and Rapperswil. Switzerland is beautiful, clean and the people are kind and efficient.

Room Tip: Lake Side Room is a must
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Europabound

It seems like you have enjoyed your stay in Lucerne and we would like to thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that we could contribute with our service and amenities to your fabulous stay.

We would be pleased to welcome you again soon and hope you had a safe journey home.

862 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I made last minute, somewhat frantic, reservations made for my daughter and 4 others, in very busy Luzern, directly through the hotel - The group was able to find other accommodations and despite having paid in full for two rooms, the hotel manager was understanding and kind enough to refund all. Hope to have the opportunity to stay at what others have reviewed as a fabulous hotel!!

Room Tip: I didn't stay here but wanted to review because they were so wonderful to a frantic mom with a 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear dianebusch

Thank you very much for your kind review on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you at the Montana soon.

Kindest regards

Hobart, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Our room was spacious, immaculate, importantly the room was lovely and quiet. We had a hillside room but this did not offer any views to the mountains.The room did have a small balcony and the furnishings in the room were of a high standard.
On arrival our room was not ready which was not a problem so we sat on the balcony and had a drink and a snack, the views from the terrace restaurant over the lake/ mountains were just beautiful. When our snacks arrived the chicken looked good and it was after one mouthful that my husband discovered that the chicken was not cooked fully, we explained to the waiter and a replacement arrived, thankfully there were no ill effects from this. We did explain to the wait staff that were were concerned about the potential of illness from inadequately cooked chicken. Following written feedback survey on the hotel we did have an opportunity to discuss our concerns the next day with the manager who understood our concerns and was following up . We were impressed with the concierge who provided very good customer service.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear tasannie

We really appreciate your comment on TripAdvisor and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

We apologize once again for the incident in our Scala Restaurant and we are assuaged that we could solve the problem directly with you.

It would be lovely to welcome you again at the Montana again soon.

Kind regards

Füssen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A one-of-a-kind hotel with beautiful views and a great breakfast buffet overlooking the lake. Not cheap, but worth the money-- especially if you get a lake view room. Be careful, though, in hot weather. Our room was not air conditioned and on the lake side you get the afternoon sun.

Dear John A

Thank you for review on TripAdvisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel.

The view is spectacular, especially from our Scala Terrace.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Woodstock, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It is probably an very unusual occurence when a hotel receives five stars from someone who has never stayed there. I had booked for a one night stay in early August, 2013, through Booking.com.
Unfortunately, I was not able to do any travel this summer due to the illness and eventual death of my father. In the midst of the confusion of dealing with all of this, I did not cancel the reservation in a timely manner.
Emails were sent to three hotels. One did not bother to respond, one said basically, they were sorry but policy was policy. I still had to pay for a one night stay at these places.
But Art Deco Hotel Montana not only responded with kind words, they did not charge me the rate for a room as the others did.
I will be recommending Art Deco Hotel Montana to all I know who are planning to visit Lucerne and my hope is that in the future, I can stay here, at a hotel that really cares about its visitors.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RiverBirch1106

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on TripAdvisor even you have not stayed in our hotel yet.

An excellent service to our guests is our first priority. We feel very honored that you will recommend our hotel and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you in person in our hotel soon.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed at the Hotel in a "double room with hill side " at a price of 310 Swiss francs per night (breakfast not included ). It is a beautiful building in art decor style, as the name of the hotel implies. Very spacious and beautifully decorated room in the same architectural style.
Very good services in the front desk.

In the restaurant the food is very good and the view of Lake Lucerne is a memory forever. The dinner service on the first night was superb as the waiter was certainly one of the best - if not the best - that I met in Europe (see the photo bellow, a tribute to the outstanding professional).

Breakfast service was low: insufficient and very young staff.

Despite the unquestionable beauty, the architectural design of the room had a feature that seems to me as a mistake: bedroom and bathroom are integrated (no doors or walls at all) and the windows above the shower did not have curtains. Consequently, in the morning, the light coming from the bathroom lights the room. But the project is not the same in all rooms, so as you book you can just ask for a different kind of room.

The hotel does not have air conditioning in the rooms and public areas and I felt hot, at times. Therefore, I imagine that during a severe heat wave (something relatively common in the European summer in this era of global warming), the guest can feel very uncomfortable. It is something that depends on the susceptibility of each person.

There was a flaw in the service after my departure : I received an email from the hotel in which was reported a minibar consumption of some snacks and alcoholic beverages that I did not consumed at all.

The e- mail was extremely polite, but I was slightly annoyed at first, because when checking out I had informed clearly that consumed only mineral water. I think that if the system is based on honor is unreasonable to assume that a guest would commit such a error (stating that had consumed only water while consuming many other different items).

After I answered the email I received a new message in which it was said that they would not charge the expense. Despite of the incident I would stay in the hotel again.

If you decide to stay in the hotel: (1) have a drink in the late afternoon at the pleasant terrace bar; (2) Use the free bikes for a memorable stroll around the idyllic Lake Lucerne and (3) Do as the locals (and many tourists): sunbathe and swim in the lake using the "SEEBAD" (see photo below), a kind solarium on the lake shore (the hotel provides free vouchers) .

Room Tip: If you are a light-sleeper ask for a room different from the one I stayed in.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DirektorMontana, Sales & Marketing at Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear BrazilianJudge

It is a real pleasure to read your great and extensive comment on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is a big motivation for the whole team and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Montana.

Your constructive criticism is also very appreciated as we are able to improve our service even more.

It would be great to welcome you again in the near future.

Kindest regards

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

First let me commend Friederike (Management) and Boris (Concierge) - two people who know ultimate service. No request was too small or too difficult. They were there to help EVERY step of the way. Friederike was kind enough to email me before arrival, helped me onsite, she made the stay special. Boris was so helpful in our departure transition. Just outstanding employees of Art Deco Hotel Montana and hope they are recognized.

Pros of this hotel:
* great location, easy to walk to the lake
* food and wine great....the restaurant was divine...outstanding view, great food
* nice decor and warm feeling

Cons:
* no a/c and we had a basic room on the street....was really noisy so didn't get much sleep
* wish they served food up top at the bar lounge area, ordering was a bit cumbersome up top
* ask for extra pillows

It is a beautiful hotel. Price was right at 280 francs, however, I would probably look at other hotels in area if it weren't for the outstanding hotel staff.

Room Tip: Room away from the street (too noisy)
Dear ArizonaTraveler_11

It is a pleasure to read your comment on TripAdvisor and we feel very honored that you point out the Montana team so much. Thank you.

The missing A/C in our rooms has already been discussed in the management and we will find a solution as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding.

Please note that we do serve a small variety of food on our Lake View Lounge. Nevertheless we will consider your point in our next F&B meeting.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon and we hope you had a safe journey home.

Best regards

Your Montana team

Been to Art Deco Hotel Montana Luzern? Share your experiences!