“Excellent location!” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Am Weinmarkt, Lucerne 6000, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 63 hotels in Lucerne
“Excellent location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel recently. The location is unbeatable, facing the river and the Jesuit Church. Our 4th Floor river-facing room was very spacious and was very tastefully furnished in a modern style. Standing on the balcony, overlooking the river and historic buildings, was an unforgettable experience. The hotel is really central, and is perfectly placed. It is housed in a beautiful historic building, which itself is a landmark in Lucerne. Breakfast was good. The experience of having a drink at the terrace outside, with swans swimming up close to you, was fabulous. I would however suggest that the hotel provides complimentary transportation from the train station (which is very near), so as to avoid guests having to pay ridiculously high taxi fares or having to lug their baggage themselves. Incidentally, no assistance is offered with your baggage when you check-in and check-out, unless you specifically ask for it, which is disappointing considering the stature of the hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

504 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This small smart hotel is perfectly situated for dining, shopping and sightseeing. It has a beautiful interior blending modern and antique, smoke-free exceptional dining with a professional staff. As is true with many hotels there, there is no air-conditioning, however, I highly recommend this hotel for its food, privacy, charm and location.

Room Tip: Choose a room toward the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hotel location was in the heart of the city. We had a river view and is recommended over the city side as we had a balcony for breakfast. The hotel bar is nice, but expensive for food and most drinks as you would expect - good idea for draft beer. Room, staff and wifi were perfect.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Although quite expensive this is one of the best hotels ever.we booked a junior suite which was amazing , it had a bath tub with jaccuzi and a balcony with beautiful views of the lake and city,we also had dinner in the restaurant which was great but very expensive, 50 euros per person without wine but is worth going there once. The only problem i find is that water is very expensive to buy, 6 euro per 250 ml but it is everywere in switzerland.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful hotel in August. It was our first time in Switzerland and could not believe the location of this hotel. It is right on the water and has a breathtaking view of the Chapel Bridge. It is central to lots of restaurants and places to see. We had a great view of the St. Francis Xavier Church from our balcony and could watch the horse and carriage go by. The hotel itself was wonderful. The staff was a great help with everything and although the room was not fancy, it more than met our needs. The outside restaurant was great to just sit with a glass of wine and enjoy the beauty. Stay here if you can. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the hotel has no air conditioning. The temperatures in August were great so we h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

It hindsight, I should have booked a room overlooking the water. Unfortunately, by the time I got to the hotel to check in and upgrade, the hotel was fully booked. The deluxe suite was small but furnished with everything I needed. I really appreciated the in room coffee and tea maker. I thought that was a standard amenity but the Balances was the only hotel to offer that for the duration of my trip in Switzerland and Belgium. It also can get noisy if you have loud neighbors like I did; the walls appear to have little or no insulation. But the fact that the hotel sits right on the River Reuss trumps these minor complaints. I found the staff to be very helpful, even printing out train schedules for me, and friendly. Not know how close the train station is to the hotel, I took a cab when I got to Lucerne from Zurich. When it was time to check out and head to my next destination, I walked my backpack and rolling luggage to the train station. I will be going back to Lucerne. Next time I'll book a room with a balcony at the Balances.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reichenbach-Steegen via USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

What a wonderful weekend we had in Lucerne and I highly recommend Hotel des Balances. The location is perfect -- right by the Chapel Bridge, lots of restaurants, shops, the pier, and the bahn. The staff was very helpful, the rooms very well appointed and the restaurant was superb as well. We will definitely stay there again. When arriving in Lucerne, our GPS was not helpful in getting us across the water to the hotel, and wanted us to turn the wrong way on a one way street and drive across a pedestrian bridge. We circled around several times looking for an alternative before we called the hotel reception, and they gave us directions. The hotel is located in a pedestrian area, but it is permitted for hotel guests to drive their cars to the hotel and unload -- then the hotel will park the car for you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel des Balances? Share your experiences!