“Beautiful Hotel... Breathtaking Location :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Garni Hostatt

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Garni Hostatt to your Saves list
Hotel Garni Hostatt
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Schweizerhausstrasse 22, Engelberg CH-6390, Switzerland   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Engelberg
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Hotel... Breathtaking Location :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband & I stayed here in February 2012, when we first arrived at the train station in Engelberg we took a bus which stopped about a 3 minute walk from the hotel, you could also take a taxi right to the hotel if you have a lot of luggage to carry etc. The hotel is apx a 10 – 15 minute walk from the town centre or you can also get a bus from the bus stop which would take about 5 minutes depending on where it stops. The hotel’s surroundings are beautiful and just really breathtaking, a lot better than stating in the town I would say. The manager was so lovely and very helpful and kind, the room was clean & comfortable, we booked the standard double room & it has a safe, own bathroom with shower, double bed (or twin beds put together I believe but have a double sheet / blanket etc, TV with English channels, free wifi, cupboard with hangers, plenty of room for two people’s luggage etc. The breakfast buffet was amazing, fresh breads, croissants, spreads, fruit, yoghurts, coffee machine, teas, juices, cereals etc, I looked forward to it every morning !!

I just cant say how beautiful the view was from my room was it was so magical the snow and mountains, we sat there for minutes just looking out the window. We are very happy with this hotel, and would definitely stay there again, the price was reasonable & staff friendly, breakfast amazing !!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mt Eliza, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

We had an enjoyable four night stay at Hotel Garni Hostatt, for a winter ski holiday.

Our hostess, Suzanne, was welcoming and very helpful and kindly allowed early access to our room to deposit luggage and change for afternoon skiing.

We had a clean comfortable room with 2 comfortable beds. Reliable Internet access was available for a small fee.

There was a generous continental breakfast with a fantastic coffee machine.

There was a small kitchenette, with a couple of saucepans, a heating element and microwave for reheating food and to make tea and coffee.

Athough there is a free shuttle bus to town, the last bus was at 6 PM, before most restaurants in the town opened for an evening meal. Fortunately, there were 2 nearby restaurants, Gaushaus Helmut that served hearty homely food and Schweizehausstrasse Restaurant for fine dining in walking distance that were sufficient to avoid long cold walks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Our stay in Engelberg was amazing thanks for the help from Susanne, from Hotel Garni Hostat. She made us very comfortable and presented all the options we had to enjoy the time we would be spending there.
The hotel itself is simple but very well mantained, very clean, comfortable. It is about ten minutes from downtown but it worths the walk.
The view from the large double room where I stayed with my wife and son was breathtaking and the amenities provide by the hotel were just enough. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

ill stayed in the garni hostatt last week with my parents,i must say very lovely and peacefull. its a great place to relax und unwind from your day to day stress.
very well run place the owners try to make the guest every wish come true.
really great to stay there,hope i will be back soon
thanks for all

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My husband and I are in the process of planning our vaccation to Switzerland for next summer and we came across this hotel, which seemed to have everything inorder. We contacted the hotel directly to give us a rate but later found a much better rate via booking.com and decided to book through this site. The site did not specify enough details regarding views etc so we called the hotel to see if all rooms a view and the receptionist, Sussanne, told us that if we book via this site we will not be given a good room and did not want to confirm if we will have a view or not when I kept insisting she told us that yes all rooms do have a view so I really do not see why she had such a problem with us booking via the site. She also commented that she can not guarrantee the room we will have when the site clearly stated 'large double room'. I was getting very frustrated as having my 1 year old child with us on the trip, one needs to ensure that everything will be inorder. We went ahead and booked via booking.com when shortly after we recieved an email directly from the hotel advising us that the rates are incorrect and thus the room we booked can not be booked at the rate we locked. I contacted bookings.com who were very helpful in this matter and they confirmed that the hotel did not want to give us the room at the advertised rate and that if we didnt like this then we should go else where, which infact we will. There are plenty of good hotels around central Switzerland so I suggest you do not look at booking your stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here for a long weekend of skiing in Engelberg. While it is a little out of the main part of the town, it is only a 10 minute walk and we found it no problem. There is a ski bus during the day, and because the ski stations have places to leave boots etc it was not an issue at all.
The hotel is rustic and charming, they do a lovely buffet breakfast with local produce. Our room was very nice, my only issue was the tiny shower room / toilet, it was extemely cramped and for the money I would have expected better.
Apart from that it was all very good. There is even a little kitchen you can store goods and purchase beer and wine for much cheaper than the bars.
The lady running the hotel is very helpful and I would certainly recommend this hotel..just check you have a room with a decent size bathroom!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Milton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

We stayed here as a weekend layover from a business trip to get in some skiing. The owners are very friendly, and the hotel was actually a bit bigger than I had expected. My room was very large, and included 3 single beds.

When we arrived, there was nobody around to check us in. The phone on the desk said to dial a number, and the person who answered didn't speak very good English (which is fine given that this is a german-speaking area). She was clearly on her cel phone, and rushed right over with her daughter to let us in to our rooms. We took care of payment once the owner returned.

The hotel is located in a residential area, and it's a bit of a walk into the center of town especially when it's bitterly cold out. We opted to drive back into town for dinner, and drive to the ski lift as well.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably choose a hotel closer to the center of town but then again I couldn't find any rooms there when I looked. I'm happy with Hotel Garni Hostatt as a place to sleep and enjoy a good breakfast in between ski days.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Garni Hostatt? Share your experiences!