“Great boutique hotel in Geneva” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eastwest Hotel

Save Saved
You added Eastwest Hotel to your Saves list
Eastwest Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue des Paquis 6, Geneva 1201, Switzerland (Pâquis Navigation)   |
Ranked #7 of 103 hotels in Geneva
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great boutique hotel in Geneva”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I used this hotel many times over the last 12 month. I like the location, the rooms, the personnel and the food. I can only regret that they don't offer free parking as it's almost impossible to find a spot in this neighborhood. Will return anyway!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a modern chic hotel and chose eastwest after reading many of the reviews. I stayed for 2 nights at the end of January. For me it was so refreshing to find a place with this kind of style and ambience. With 42 rooms it is also a perfect size if you are travelling on your own or as a couple and neither want the corporate feel of a large hotel or the self-consciousness of a tiny place. The rooms are a great fusion of natural woods, eastern colours and western amenities. I particularly liked the bathroom and the walk-in closet with Nespresso machine. The bed was wonderfully comfortable and the duvet/pillows were excellent. The gym is small but it has some good equipment and makes the best use of the space.
So what would I improve?
WIFI. It is terrible, whether in my room, the restaurant or the gym, web browsing just about ok sometimes, but if you use an iPhone or iPad and need to run applications like email, maps, weather updates etc it is very bad. For a hotel clearly trying to attract tech-savvy affluent younger and eastern clientele this is a very big minus.
NOISE. The floors in the rooms are wooden. As beautiful as this is, it is not quiet. You can hear other guests as they walk around their rooms above and next to you. The room entry doors also slam quite hard. So it is far from peaceful.
I'm sure that some well placed rugs on the floors and felt pads on the doors could make big improvements.
NO BATH. I had a superior room. Don't get me wrong, as I have said, the bathroom was beautiful but not having a bath was somewhat disappointing.
I would seriously think of staying in the Eastwest again, but it is frustrating that it could actually be an excellent hotel overall if it managed to improve on the points I make here.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Loved this hotel. Location perfect. We had a 1 day business/rest trip to Geneva in between London and Alps. This hotel was in every way perfect; a French chain - part W and part Kimpton. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. The staff was super. Great restaurant across the street.

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I generally stay in the Paquis area of Geneva as it is a lot more lively and provides much more options for dining versus the hotels near the airport. I have stayed at most of the Paquis area hotels during my frequent business trips. I have to say that Eastwest is my new favorite - to be honest, my favorite is the Kempinski but its generally too expensive. I like the Eastwest for its convenient location (close to the train station without hearing the noise) and just a short walk to old town Geneva.

The room and the hotel was very nicely decorated and was quite large for Geneva standards. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was nicely adorned with a nice tub/shower.

I didn't dine at the restaurant so I can't say anything good or bad.

Note: This hotel is at the end of the road where the 'red light district' meets Rue des Paquis but that is NOT a problem or concern as the people aren't pushy or even really visible.

Bottom line, I think I have found my new go-to hotel in Geneva.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Last minute pick after a flight cancellation with limited expectations. I have travelled a lot for work and play and stayed in many hotels; this one was a very pleasant surprise. It's very stylish and quite "funky" but, unusually for such a hotel, in no way sacrifices on quality service and facilities. The staff were friendly, responsive and very helpful (lending me chargers for BB and iPhone with no issues). It's in a great location but slightly "colourful" neighborhood which actually just gives it more character on the otherwise quite bland Geneva canvas. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Beijing
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed at the Eastwest Hotel for 3 nights in January; 2 nights on our way through Geneva and 1 night on return. We arrived early on a Saturday morning with 2 young children and 3 large suitcases. No one helped with the bags, so my husband had to bring them into the lobby himself. The lady at reception did not acknowledge us when we entered and after standing at the reception counter for a short while, I announced that we had a reservation and would like to check in. Her response was "Really? What name?". Not the sort of welcome that I expected. We had 2 twin rooms with one adult and one child in each. Both rooms were at the front of the hotel and were extremely noisy at night. We had to sleep with earplugs in to avoid being woken up continuously. You could hear people talking loudly on the street at all hours of the night and could even hear the click clack of people's shoes as they walked up the street. On our return journey, one of the rooms that we were given was at the rear of the building and was whisper quiet. I would highly recommend that you request a room at the back if you want to have a decent night's sleep. One of the rooms that we had, #47, was also very hot. The rooms are supposed to have individual temperature control, but it was still very hot even after turning the heating off completely. The rooms are compact, clean and functional, but not what I would describe as luxurious, though the bathrooms are very nice.

I found the service at the hotel to be a little too cool. While the staff were helpful when we made requests, they were not warm or particularly friendly. Early one morning when leaving my room the housekeeper asked (in French) if she could service my room now. I don't speak french but indicated that I did not want the room serviced now (I was going downstairs for a few minutes to collect one of my kids and would be back shortly). She persisted, so due to the language barrier, I simply put the "Do not disturb" sign on my door. She rolled her eyes, shook her head and huffed at me.

There wasn't a great deal on offer at the breakfast buffet, but the food was of good quality. If you want bacon for breakfast, be sure to get in early as they only cook about 8 rashes!

The location is very convenient. It is only about a 10 minute walk to the old town in one direction and to the train station in the other. There are several cafes and restaurants in the area and the bakery across the road from the hotel has good pastries and coffee. We ate there one morning because we had to make an early start and the hotel breakfast doesn't start until 7am (a little late in my opinion).

I probably wouldn't stay at Eastwest again due to the noise and the impersonal service.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel. The rooms at the front are very noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This is by far one of the best hotels I've stayed in Geneva.
Attentive staff. Clean, well appointed rooms. Great bathroom.
Lovely attentions - the pillow spray and cookies they leave when doing the room is simply wonderful. Breakfast is perfect. Gym (fitness) is small but not crowed and well equipped.
Would recommend to anyone and everyone - business, couple or solo.

Room Tip: Solo rooms are small but charming with the dormers.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eastwest Hotel? Share your experiences!