“What a wonderful place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eastwest Hotel

You added Eastwest Hotel to your Saves list
Eastwest Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue des Paquis 6, Geneva 1201, Switzerland (Mont-Blanc)   |
Ranked #11 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
“What a wonderful place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I spent one night with my wife and I have to say that I will go back there! Nice people, good service, wonderful rooms and a perfect location. The hotle has a car parking which is useful if you know it before getting there...
The breakfast is nice and next time I will try the restaurant. it looks really nice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Loved it here. Big, bright, modern, clean bedroom with the biggest bed I've ever seen. A really nice smell in the room too, like floral cologne.

The room has everything you need for a hassle free, enjoyable stay: big tv, safe, mini bar, espresso machine, bath and shower.

The location isn't dead central but it's a short 15 min walk over the lake to the old town, so it's really no issue unless you loathe walking. Nearby is a cash point, supermarket and plenty of patisseries.

We ate a meal in the restaurant too and it was beyond excellent. Very very expensive though. Local wines, great service and food that you won't believe.

The staff were great. Professional, really friendly and very eager to help me with my broken and shambolic use of the French language.

One of the best hotels i have ever stayed in my life. Will return again!

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I must qualify this review by saying first that we found Geneva to be very disappointing. In fact, the biggest letdown of eight different cities/towns we visited over four weeks Oct/Nov 2012.

First to the hotel. It is a quality property with excellent accommodations as stated in many prior reviews. Staff is very helpful and the only serious, at it was serious, issue was odor. Our 3rd floor room was near a utility closet that must contain some of the sewage piping coming down from upper floors. The odor emanating from that closet, just outside our entry door had permeated our room. We wondered why artificial odor was being provided by various means inside our room (which made my partner sick) until we got rid of it and smelled the real odor. This is completely unacceptable and made the facility most unpleasant.

I have not downgraded the overall hotel for this because other rooms without this burden would likely be OK. That said, there is another issue not addressable by the hotel...its outside environment.

Using an old phrase, Geneva is going to the dogs. To be correct, it is becoming totally tacky! We love walking throughout European cities. We did not enjoy walking throughout Geneva. It has become noisy at night with intimidating youth, dirty, and other than the beautiful setting on the lake, is a totally forgetable city. Tack on the premium cost of everything there, it is a place to skip on any vacation in Europe. Ranked dead last on what was otherwise an tremendously wonderful itinerary.

The Old Town area is good, but there is so little of it compared to the expanses of not so nice areas within this city. Yes, we walked over eight miles one day trying to give the city a chance to redeem itself, all to no success.

The hotel is good, the city is not.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will all be terribly noisy at night because this street is so noisy that it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I was confliced as to whether to give this hotel three stars or four. Ultimately I'm giving it four, because I feel like a lot of my issues (internet, parking) were ones that the average traveler won't be bothered by as much as I was.

The good:
The boutique hotel is very beautiful, the rooms are large for European rooms, the bathroom area is nice and an expresso machine right in the room. It's also very quiet. There's a bakery right across the street for a cheap, delicious breakfast. The location is solid, you can save some money when compared with the hotels on the waterfront.

The bad:
The internet was free but TERRIBLE. I can't tell you how many times we had to call the front desk. Given that I was there on business, this was a real issue. While I'd say that the hotel is overall in a positive location, it is about a block or so from the Red Light district. It doesn't feel unsafe at all, but do be prepared to see the ladies selling their wares if you head away from the water. Finally, if you're arriving with a car, it's rather stressful. There's nowhere to pull over, and they don't explain to you that in order to park you just have to block one lane of traffic, hop out with your flashers on, and find a hotel staff member to valet park it. Not ideal.

The verdict:
At the end of the day, it wasn't a bad stay. In fact, the hotel is beautiful and quite luxurious. But would I stay there again? Probably not. If I were to return to Geneva for business, I'd try to find a comparable deal on a larger, perhaps waterfront hotel with easier parking. The price difference wasn't all that exceptional when putting up with all those annoying business inconveniences. I'd say I'd recommend it if you're staying for pleasure, but if I was vacationing (and without a car) I'd probably try to stay across the bridges in the old part of the city, which is just charming.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'm a first time visitor to Geneva and stayed east west for one night. Despite the scale of operation is small, I love this hotel as it has everything that is just good enough. It is clean, tidy, and well decorated. Location is convenient as it is near the lake which you can easily get across to the other of the area through the bridge, where the core commercial area is located.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville< KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The hotel was nice and our room was great, but small. The bed was amazing. However, we experienced the worst service there of probably any comparable hotel in the world we have visited. The was no Concierge, and while the desk clerk tried to be helpful, she just wasn't very knowledgeable of the area. She was, however, the high point. Restaurant service was non existent. We tried breakfast there, but it was dreadful, our server completely ignored us but spent a whole lot of time straightening the silverware on an empty table and cleaning dirty dishes from another table. Ah, the Swiss, I guess order trumps humans. At dinner, we did get menus eventually but the server wasn't intuitive to know what people do with menus - he never returned and we walked out and went somewhere else with our thirst, appetites and our wallets.

GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO DO ANYTHING BUT SLEEP HERE!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marc-Antoine N, Directeur général at Eastwest Hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

First of all, we warmly thank you for choosing Eastwest Hotel during your recent stay in Geneva.

We feel disappointed that our hotel did not reach your expectations in terms of service and we present you our most sincere apologies for all the inconvenience it may have caused to you. We inform you that we have taken all the necessary action.

Once again, we are deeply sorry that you did not have a memorable visit and do hope you will nevertheless give us another chance to welcome you to the hotel in a next future.

Best regards,

Marc-Antoine Nissille
Managing Director

Been to Eastwest Hotel? Share your experiences!