“Unfortunately overlooked for 8 years” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Metropole

Cafe Metropole
6, rue du prince, Geneva, Switzerland (Rues-Basses Longemalle)
+41223100670
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #692 of 1,311 Restaurants in Geneva
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Rues-Basses Longemalle
Nyon, Geneve, Switzerland
“Unfortunately overlooked for 8 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2014

Myself and my wife were looking for something in the centre of Geneva and found this place. The price, ambience, food were all great but the thing that set it apart was the helpfulness and warm welcome of the staff. Just unbelievably good! Friendly, efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them. This place is well worth a visit during the day or evening. Just a shame I never discovered it before when I lived in Geneva for 8 years.

• Visited October 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Confort, Rhone-Alpes, France
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My husband and I went to the Cafe Metropole on Tuesday, the last day we could use our BuyClub voucher. Perhaps it was because it was an "off" night or that everyone else was watching the Swiss-Argentine World Cup game, but we had terrific service throughout the meal. We were greeted, taken to our table, asked if we wanted an aperitif and then given the menus. We really liked the decor and the music was nice and not too loud. Now onto the actual meal.

We both had a Caesar salad as a starter. It was a very generous portion, but I thought the actual salad was lacking a bit, though my husband raved. They should definitely mention on the menu that it is a chicken Caesar, as vegetarians wouldn't appreciate the chunks of chicken in it! It was a good salad, just not great, and if I were to return, I'd try the arugula and Parmesan as the Caesar was mostly if not entirely iceberg.

They were out of the fish I wanted, so I ended up with the tuna, which was tasty but not a particularly generous or special dish. My husband had the entrecote, which he said was cooked to perfection and perhaps the best steak he's had in years. I tasted his fries, which were perfect. I guess he made a better choice than I did, though again.

They were also out of the dessert I wanted (the lemon tart) so I got the tiramisu, which was quite good. My husband had the chocolate cake and just loved it. We also both got cappuccino, and I mention this only because so many places in Geneva seem to make cappuccino by putting some milk froth on espresso. But the Cafe Metropole got it right -- we did tell them we wanted it milky so perhaps that's why, but they were very nice.

I would rate the place 3+ (3 for the food as I think overall, mine was just average, and the + for the service and ambiance), but my husband rates it a 5, hence the setting of 4. I would return with another coupon, but I don't think the overall meal would have been worth the price otherwise. Then again, I would say the same of most Geneva restaurants -- even after 7 years here, I'm still floored at how expensive they are.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Beware!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I agree with the other customers who purchased vouchers and were extremely disappointed at the response when we wanted to use our vouchers with friends purchased through BuyClub. We experienced no customer service, the restaurant was empty, the food is below average. We will never go back to this restaurant. Then again, I am not sure they will be open much longer.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Geneva
“Will not go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have never been impressed with Cafe Metropole. In general, we have found the food and service to be just average, but with the typical Geneva high prices, and the temperature in the place was usually too warm, especially upstairs. Some friends liked it, though, so we have dined there 5 or 6 times. After our last visit this weekend, however, we will not go back. We were there on a Saturday night and there were only 2 tables occupied in the entire place. The server was pleasant enough and the food was ok, but the manager failed to honor a Buy Club deal (we never saw or spoke to him but were told that this was "his rule"). We were three couples and each couple had purchased a Buy Club Voucher, which we mentioned when making the reservation. We were not told until we arrived at the restaurant that we could only use 2 of the vouchers and would have to come back to use the third. The voucher does not state any such limit, and we were not told that there was a limit when making the reservation. They did not seem to care. This is false advertising and demonstrates a complete lack of concern for customer service. One of the couples with us were the friends who liked the place and they will not be returning, either.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“First restaurant I have ever walked out of”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

When we arrived at the restaurant, having booked a table, it was empty. The staff did not welcome us, show us to our seats or take a drinks order. We had booked with a promotional voucher (three separate vouchers, each one was valid for two people), which we stated upon booking the table without issue. The waitress informed us that they would not redeem the voucher for our party of six people, only for four. We asked where this was stated in the terms and conditions (it was not). She shook her head and simply repeated herself. We could only use two vouchers, not three. We would have to come back another day to use the third one. Eventually we asked to see the manager. The manager refused to see us. We asked whether we could rebook our dinner for two separate tables, and use our vouchers individually if that was the problem. The waitress answered, "no, because you booked for six". So an impasse was reached. They were refusing to redeem our voucher, for which we had already paid. We had no choice but to leave, without having spoken to the manager. This was genuinely the worst restaurant experience I have ever had, and it put a downer on the whole evening. I left with the impression that the staff and manager simply couldn't care less. I would certainly never offer them my custom.