“Comfortable hotel. Looks better than it is.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Novotel Geneve Centre

You added Novotel Geneve Centre to your Saves list
Novotel Geneve Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue de Zurich 19 | 1201 Geneva, Geneva 1214, Switzerland (Pâquis Navigation)   |
Special Offer
Save up to 30%
Ranked #46 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne
“Comfortable hotel. Looks better than it is.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Nice staff. Beautiful lobby. Expensive hotel, so we were looking forward to our stay. We were handed a map of Geneva, which seemed not to show or list any sights. Later we realised that this is because there aren't really any sights in Geneva... apart from the lake.

We were also each handed travel cards for all of the public transport in Geneva during our stay. Very pleased with this. It would be nice if more hotels did the same. Unfortunately the travel cards really didn't prove to be useful... partly because the hotel is just so close to everything, anyway... and partly because the public transport system in Geneva is abysmal. The one time we actually used the system (trams), mainly because it had started to rain, we found out just how badly organinsed it is. if you want to catch one tram and then connect to another you have to walk a block and a half in between. This is not what I call "connecting" and contrary to any public transport system I've ever used in the world (and I've used a lot). None of this is the hotel's fault, though.

The room was huge. Very nice. Comfortable proper double bed. Our booking stated that we would have a couch in the room. We didn't. Instead 2 chairs. No big deal, though. Pretty bathroom with bath and separate shower. The bath also had a movable shower head, which would be great for washing kids hair. This had amazing water pressure! The actual shower, however, didn't seem to have much water pressure at all. Odd. The toilet was also in a separate room near the front door. Unfortunately, the toilet seat was broken in half on one side and pinched skin every time one sat down. Not pleasant.

There was a spa section in the hotel... with no actual spa. It did have a sauna and steam room, though.

Now for sleep quality... Not great... and not what we were expecting for such a nice hotel. Very thin walls, horrible pillows, lights that made an electric buzzing/clicking sound constantly throughout the night (yes, this is while they were turned off), also the elevators made a loud dinging sound every single time they opened... on the way up or down.

Overall, I was very disappointed with the fact that we spent so much money on this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Trieste
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

novotel confirms being one of the best choices when travelling with children. They offer spacious rooms with excellent value for money. Also this Geneva Novotel confirms this good standard and I would reccomend it, if not willing to pay abnormal prices that other Geneva hotel request.
The location is not the best one...in the evening there is quite an 'evening life' around it which is not what you would reccomend to a family with children. However it is very close and walking distance from everything you need in Geneva plus rooms , service , parking, free internet, breakfast and everything you need confirm me once again that Novotel is one of the best choices for families when staying in cities.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I will be short :

1. The rooms are unclean and horrible with strange bed sheet's and zero personality ! A mix of odors are governaiting inside because there is zero ventilation since no windows open !!!!

2.They hold money on your credit card , because of the minibar !!!! If you ask them why, the answer is : '' because you can use it without payng and we must have an insurance'' !!!!!!!!!
I consider that an insult !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Strange neighborhood , with a mixture of people , night clubs, dirty streets , unsafe feeling !

4. I am sure you can find better deals for the same price !

5. Conclusion : STAY AWAY ! I was stupid by choosing this hotel ! Very cheap !

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GM_Novotel-Geneve, Directeur général at Novotel Geneve Centre, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Client,

We are really sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow us to express our sincerest apologies.

The majority of our guest enjoys staying at the Novotel Genève Centre and we do regret that you are not part of them.

We do assure that we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any kind of information you may wish to know.

Sincerely Yours,

Mirco IADA
Novotel Genève Centre
Porto Alegre, RS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We enjoyed a lot our stay in Genève, specially because we stayed in this Novotel. It is great located, a few steps directly to the centre and the lake, very friendly staff. The room was big and comfortable, with fridge, tea/coffee. There was a great LCD television and a sofa, the bed was King-size and comfortable. The breakfast was above our expectations, with different kind of scramble eggs, sausages, rice and vegetables, and breads, iogurts, fruits, whatever we could want to eat. We loved it!
The city and the hotel really pleased us and made us want to come back soon! Don´t miss it!

Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

It is in a very good location,5min walk to the lake .we can walk every where from our hotel to city center . the room is specious and clean and it has a modern furnishing.They are moderately priced.but the receptions are not friendly .and because of that at first look in check in we became a little disappointed

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

I travel to this hotel regularly for busines - my hotel has a contract at this hotel. My main complaint is that the hotel is constantly kept at an unreasonably warm temperature - I don't understand what clientelle they are catering too that wants their rooms at 23c/75f degrees or warmer. The windows don't open and even after setting my room at the coldest temperature, it never cools down. There are no sheets on the bed on top of it, just a duvet (which is as soft as sandpaper), so it is horrible unconducive to good sleep unless you like being very warm & toasty at night. If you do, look no further. Also, the rooms get horribly stuffy and the hotel has muggy, moldy smell because there is zero ventilation since no windows open. Otherwise, the hotel is clean. The bathrooms are very nice - clean and bright. The rooms have zero personality, as most novotels. However, they are much more spacious than most European hotels - they are more along the lines of American hotel room sizes. The staff is always very professional, approachable, accomodating & professional. There is free internet in the lobby computers which is a wonderful facility, and the hotel is centrally located to most things in Geneva (although it is in the red light district, but that doesn't bother me). All in all, clean but not refreshing unless you are cool-natured and like rooms very warm.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I have mixed feelings about the hotel. The rooms are spacious, but the beds are uncomfortable. There was no top sheet on the bed, which I didn't like as I was not at all confident that they washed the duvet cover EVERY time a guest checked out and this was what was touching my skin at night...ewww. The AC never got cool enough for me at night and since there was no top sheet, it was too warm for me. The bathtub shower head had a major leak, so we just used the shower instead. It didn't feel clean to me either. In fact, one of the glasses had lip stick marks on it, which made me even more concerned about the duvet cover. There are most definitely "professionals" working the area. I know this because I walked right by them many times during the day and night; however, they are located on the back side of the hotel not the front. Not too big of a deal in my opinion. I walked around by myself while my husband worked and never felt unsafe. I did enjoy the fitness center (it is small), I enjoyed the sauna area, and the meals were good, it was quiet, and I walked to the old town, the lake, train station, and restaurants. It's not a bad place to stay, but I don't know that I would stay there again because of the lack of confidence in the cleaning and bedding situation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Novotel Geneve Centre? Share your experiences!