“Depends on the price...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Diplomate

You added Hotel Diplomate to your Saves list
Hotel Diplomate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   46 Rue De La Terrasserie, Geneva CH-1207, Switzerland (Formerly BEST WESTERN Hotel Diplomate)   |
Ranked #92 of 103 Hotels in Geneva
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“Depends on the price...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I don't really know what it is with people's perception of a Best Western hotel but they are clearly misinformed. I wish they'd realize it's a budget chain, especially in Europe. We're not talking about the Kempinsky or the Mandarin Oriental here.

The hotel is located on the other side of the lake and a 20 minute walk from the main station. Also easily accessible by public transport or private car.

We were very happy with our stay at the Diplomate. I suppose if you end up paying $250-$300 per room per night then you wouldn't be so happy, but we only payed $130 per night for the room, inclusive of all taxes. We had booked through bookingdotcom and that was the rate. In an overly priced country like Switzerland, $130 is an absolute bargain! Red light district hotels cost more...

I was efficiently checked in by Albert, a middle aged genetleman behind the reception, and he was professional, friendly and informative. Thank you Albert for great service.

Our room was on the 6th floor, very clean, decent quality, very clean bathroom with bath/shower, flat screen telly, mini bar, hair dryer and a small balcony.

As the previous reviewer stated, they do charge a high price for use of the TV, but it is clearly indicated on the TV instructions leaflet in the room. Furthermore, the price of the breakfast is also clearly indicated. Just don't use the TV and don't have breakfast, simples!

We had a decent stay of value in line with the price we paid and we'll certainly be back.

Room Tip: The higher floor your room is on, the quieter it is...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel clean and neat.
Was charged 28 swiss franks for watching CNN! Maybe they should not have TV's if they charge rates- not even pay-per-view. I complained to the front desk person to no avail. Breakfast also was a rip off the money they charge- canned fruit salad, coffee and juices for 24 swiss franks.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I was apprehensive about booking this hotel given the terrible reviews and low rating but had no choice due to a watch convention in Geneva. I was pleasantly surprised to find a clean hotel with a dent room, a small but acceptable bathroom and a reasonably good location few minutes away from Rue du Rhone and a short walk from the lake. As a backup hotel I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This hotel is not a four star hotel, but the location is great, and several staff members are very helpful. That being said, there are issues. Most importantly, there is certainly a level of incompetence among some members of the staff. Most disturbing, when I was checking out the man at the front desk told me my credit card did not work. After two attempts, we usd another card, no problem, case closed. However, when I returned to Canada I called the first company to make sure there were no issues with my card. Of course, I was then told my last transaction was made at the Best Western Hotel Diplomate! I immediately called Best Western Customer Care (who incidentally were very helpful), but to date the charge has not been corrected by the hotel in Geneva! If they are unable to even charge a credit card correctly, I can only presume that there are other issues that I am not even aware of.

There were other issues, including the 5 minutes it takes for the shower to get warm, the doube bed that is actually two beds, the bumpy floor . . . but I can overlook all these things when it comes down to it. However, incompetence is not as easy to overcome, and needless to say, I will not stay at this hotel again!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I have just returned from weekend in Geneva and stayed at this hotel, to be honest I was rather concerned because of the the bad publicity, nothing could have been further from the truth. The room was spotless, the staff were absolutely lovely and couldn't do enough for you. Yes the tap in the bathroom was a little loose and the room was a little small however in Geneva if you want a huge bedroom you have to pay a lot more than I did. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I met my boyfriend in Geneva (he does business there) for 6 nights at Hotel Diplomate after three weeks of travelling through France on a student budget. My two-star bed and breakfasts in Provence and my student hostel in Paris (all around 60-70 euros per night) were all superior to this poor excuse for a four-star hotel that costs close to 200 CHF per night for a basic room. The only positive factor was that we had low expectations to begin with after reading the reviews.

Here's what irked me the most:
-The idea of two twin beds pushed together to make a King sized bed is just plain idiotic. My boyfriend and I essentially had to sleep in separate beds or else one of us would fall through the crack.
-The bedding was not comfortable, though the pillows were nice and fluffy.
-The bathroom, though newly renovated, was tiny. The shower curtain didn't have a liner would get in the way and stick to your back in the shower. The shower head was oddly positioned.
-Some of the front desk attendants were just useless. One night we asked the "conciege" if there was a good Japanese restaurant nearby. His response? "I don't know. Sorry."
-They didn't inform us that the air conditioning was broken until we inquired. It was deathly hot in the room (and it wasn't very hot outside...), only made bearable by cranking open the window - which was not ideal as I had terrible spring allergies. Also the window faced out onto a very busy street where trams go by. I am a very deep sleeper but I was still woken up every morning around 5 am.
-One night we brought home some champagne and deserts. We called the front desk to ask for a couple of glasses, plates, forks etc; but they replied saying that the dining room was locked and they didn't have a key. Ridiculous.

The only saving grace was that it was clean and in a good location. Hopefully next time we can stay across the border in Yvoire and my boyfriend can just drive into Geneva for his meetings.

Room Tip: Just stay in France and drive into Geneva if you must...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

These are now a renovated rooms in all the floors. The rooms are clean and freshly decorated, . Daily room service is very good keeping cleanliness standards high. Thank you !

Room Tip: In the back side !
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Diplomate? Share your experiences!