“Not as exciting as expected” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Geneva, Switzerland
“Not as exciting as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I went to the opening of Little Buddha some years ago and had high hopes for this place. Admittedly I have only been back twice since. This time, I confess that I think of their food as a flop. Not only is it expensive, but you don't really get very much and it is far from being authentic. Geneva is an expensive place but this really was a joke. The food was tasty but the lack of authenticity and small portions made it a rip off.

I also detested the very dim lighting - like WAY too dim .... if I wanted to sit in the dark I would have stayed at home!

Service was nothing special - no smiles but not too slow, place was relatively empty ..... Nah, you can do much better elsewhere!

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Annemasse, France
“An attractive modern space, inventive fusion food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

It is certainly one of the only places in staid Geneva , which I know since 1978, that has a big city design feel. It is indeed an attractive space with lighting to match, a very nice downstairs bar and smokers' cubicle etc. We ate well: shrimp and tiny calamari thai style, and seared foie gras (generous portion and fairly priced) with a "Japanese" apple pear compote in which this Japanphile tasted nothing of Nippon, not a big deal.
Main courses: lobster in red curry, tasty PERFECTLY COOKED, bravo (on purpose or we all got lucky?) basic but tasty and served with a lovely sweet potato puree, and beef fillet with truffle oil and an excellent mashed potatoes with just the right amount of wasabi. The temperature of the rare cooked meat could have been hotter.
For puddings , as the Brits are yont to say, meaning desserts to us Yanks, we did enjoy our yuzu tart and rather spectacular pineapple tarte tatin with some yuzu thread we could not taste personally.
The wines by the glass were good and fairly priced. They have sakés, too.
They also serve lots of sushi and noodles.
Nothing is cheap in this town, everyone knows that. We chose the most expensive dishes (52 and 58 CHF) but you'll see on their website there are many more reasonable.
About the service: our waitress was competent but lacking in personality, sad in such posh surroundings.Other waiters seemed more affable.
It is a fine location, on the place de Neuve near the park and is open quite late.
The service was a bit on the slow side, especially considering the half empty room.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Geneva, Switzerland
“Completely over-priced!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Because I was working on Valentine's Day, my boyfriend and I decided to have a nice dinner the Tuesday before. I had no problem to reserve my table but lucky I only mentioned at the end of the conversation that I was planning on using a voucher I purchased on the internet a couple of weeks before... I don't think that we would have got a table otherwise. When we got there, the room was far from being full but the atmosphere was very pleasant and we were well looked after. The starters and main were nice but nothing exceptional. I had the beef lettuce wraps for starter while BF had the foie gras poelé and we both had the lobster for main. The desserts were a real disappointment though. My trio of crème brulée were ok but I couldn't identify the 3 different tastes while his caramalized bananas were something we could have done at home. Thanks to the voucher we only had to pay for the drinks and that was more than ebough: CHF 120 for 2 cocktails and a bottle of wine!! We calculated that we would have paid CHF 360 if we didn't have the voucher and I would clearly have been sick over it. It was a nice evening all in all but it certainly isn't worth what you end up paying.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Adelaide, Australia
“Tasty food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The food was tasty, but not authentic asian, and they were not very generous (e.g. with the rice). Overpriced as usual in Geneva. Good for groups. Nice decor.

Visited January 2013
Colne Engaine
“SamColneEngaine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We visited Switzerland to attend the 18th birthdaydinner of our grandaughter and went to the Little Buddha which is one of her favourite places. The atmosphere was excellent, subdued lighting and every table taken. The staff were excellent especially the sommelier. Interesting menu but the main courses didn't seem to be particularly Japanese - not that I would know. Two of us had the lamb curry which was perfect. My grandaughter and grandma had Black Cod which was fine but didn't have any rice??? The other grandfather had steak and truffles which he didn't think was very special. The wine and service was excellent. As to value for money I didn't pay so I can't comment but I gather the wine was excellent. All in all a most enjoyable meal and venue.

• Visited January 2013