“Great hotel with a nice pool” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #16 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel with a nice pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Like all InterContinental Hotels the service here is top notch and perhaps more so because you are in Geneva.

Besides the service what stands out is the beautiful setting of this hotel - both the exterior and interior are designed to make you relax. Located adjacent to the United Nations complex it's somewhat off the beaten path unless you have transportation.
The hotel also has an outdoor heated Olympic pool for the few days when the weather permits its usage.

The rooms on the other hand are a bit snug but manageable for the short-term visitor. Like most hotel rooms in Geneva it's decorated in a modern style and is very aesthetically pleasing. What's not so pleasing is the bathroom. While small and efficient, it lacks a few basics - like room to put ones things (i.e. shaving kit).

Overall, a great hotel if you have business at the U.N. and don;t mind paying the high price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor community.

Good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they have been forwarded to all persons concerned.

We have also taken good note of your remarks concerning the bathroom.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Michel Perret

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Don't take me wrong, I'm a Royal Ambassador of the IC chain an I've seen worse IHG hotels. IC Genève is an amazing stunning beautiful hotel with superb customer service. I didn't mind staying 10 minutes bus away from the city centre for all of this but realistically a hotel in the rive gauche area can be more handy for those visiting Genève. On top of that and even though I've stayed at a Lake Genève Suite, I couldn't really say that the value was excellent as to me there's seem to be a disconnect between the decoration of the communal areas and the rooms itself. This, the fact that they've forgotten to bring me the breakfast in the morning (on my first day) and because the price could be more reasonable (even though all the prices in Genève are prohibitive) it is the first time in giving a IC hotel a 4 stars - however I must say that the interior and the staff and just perfect.

Mr. Martins Macedo

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Sir,

We are really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel, which was up to your expectations. Good comments such as yours are most important for us and have been duly forwarded to all persons concerned.

However, please accept our apologies for the incident encountered with your breakfast on the first morning. This will not reoccur in the future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, we remain,

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

After having read some of reviews on here I was concerned I would be disappointed, however my worries were unfounded.

The hotel is located half way between the airport and the city centre, and has its own stop on the number 5 bus service, which runs between the airport and the centre. This combined with the tram located a 5 minute walk down the road at the Palais des Nations and Swiss transport infrastructure means that getting to and from anywhere is simple. The hotel also issues you with a free travel card so it costs you nothing either.

Admittedly in the surrounding area there is little to do, no restaurants or bars, the only thing close by is the UN. However in my opinion Geneva isn't exactly a hive of atmosphere so I dont think you really miss much except maybe a lake view, the quick public transport in my opinion negates the distance from the centre.

I was checked in very quickly by a professional reception staff. Being the platinum ambassador I was given the usual upgrade but then offered a upgrade to a junior suite for 90CHF per night, I was feeling flush so elected to do so. Room was very well sized, with a changing area, table and stools, office table, mini sofa and coffee table with 'proper' coffee machine. Bathroom was average sized but big enough, had a shower only but the shower head produced enough water to nearly drown me!

Bed was very comfortable with the usual sinking pillows and had a very good nights sleep. My room had electric blinds fitted so virtually no light got in the room, allowing for as much sleep as possible. The blinds are controlled by switches next to your bed so you could be very lazy! Rooms were clean, modern with and well appointed furniture, everything you expect in a Intercontinental.

My room was on the 15th floor and on the corner so I had 4 windows and a excellent view of Geneva, but sadly no view of the lake...maybe next time! I must admit I never used any more of the hotels facilities as I had other engagements on. The hotel provides free wifi, which is nice for a change at Intercontinental. Staff were professional, exceedingly discret and very helpful, I didn't see any staff outside of the main reception but everything was done and was up to date almost by stealth.

Overall I throughly enjoyed my stay, I would highly recommend staying here when in Geneva, Its location is reasonably placed in my opinion and its staff are discreet, professional and helpful. I have a couple of criticisms. Whilst the Internet was free, the connection was a bit inconsistent and the speed went from very slow to fast, more times than not it was slow, but as it was free I didn't complain. Also my room card wasn't updated when i requested a 4pm check out, so after 12pm on the day of checkout my card stopped working and was locked out. Slightly annoyed having to go all the way down back to reception to get it changed, when other Intercontinental's in the past have done that for me.

However these two small complaints dont knock it down a rating. The hotel rate I thought was competitive for similar hotels in Geneva and the whole city is expensive ! Ive stayed at more expensive hotels where the service was no better, nor the rooms any better appointed. Highly recommended hotel when in Geneva.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at the InterContinental Genève with the Trip Advisor Community.

We are most delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its services. Your very good and detailed comments are most important for us and were of course forwarded to all team members concerned.

However, we have taken good note of your remarks concerning the wifi speed and the room key which did not work after 12pm. This kind of inconvenience will be prevented in the future.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel , we remain,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently stayed at this Intercontinental for several days. I have stayed at other Intercontinental hotels, but none have compared. The staff was welcoming and kind. I forgot my phone charger, but was loaned one for my stay. Housekeeping came regularly and was extremely thorough. The staff was attentive and warm. I am truly looking forward to visiting again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

It is a real pleasure to hear that you spent an agreeable stay with us. Such good comments are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

Looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon to the hotel, we remain,

Central
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The Intercontinental Hotel has everything a 4-5 star hotel could wish for. Nicely appointed modern rooms (on the larger side - albeit small bathroom), amenities, excellent service, very good breakfast, clean, ability and space to accomodate large conferences...but it is located in a non descript neighbourhood. Not a problem in itself but not being on or close to Lake Geneva, you do not feel the Geneva atmosphere. Of course cabs (20-25 sf), buses or a 30 min. walk will get you on to the downtown lakefront but...it's not the same. I would prefer to stay next time in a downtown hotel.

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Very good comments such as yours are most important and useful for us. You may rest assured that they will be forwarded to all persons concerned.

For your information, we are actually not located near in the lake and the city center but, thanks to the Geneva transportation free pass and the bus stop just in front of the hotel, you can easily and quickly go downtown (10-15 minutes).

Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I traveled all over in Europe and this was the most expensive hotel with an average service and accomodation. Small room for what you pay and the service it's ok. I would not stay in this hotel anymore.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalGVA, Directeur général at Hotel InterContinental Geneve, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

We truly regret to hear that your spouse and you did not have a comfortable and pleasant stay at the hotel. Your comments have been well noted.

Wising you a nice day, we remain,

Rapperswil, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

first time i stayed at the interconti, and i have to say that i was quite dispointed. the hotel is located between the airport and the city, which is not so comfortable, as one always needs to take a bus or taxi to go downtown. the cab ride is abt 20 sfr.....
the rooms and the hotel are ok, although one could expect more at this pricelevel. the bathroom for example only has a bathtub and no designated shower....showering in the bathtub is ok, if u are not taler than 185cm...because u start hitting your head on the airduct.
the wifi was very slow and after a while i just used 3g as it was faster.....

the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, but my next stay in geneva will be again in the kempinski or president wilson....their location is just more comfortable and the prices are very similar. also i find the rooms in these 2 hotels much better and more comfortable.

Dear Sir,

We are really sorry to hear that the hotel did not completely meet your expectations and have taken good note of your comments.

For your information, we are actually not located near in the city center but, thanks to the Geneva transportation free pass, you can easily go downtown in 10-15 minutes. Furthermore, the bus stop is just in front of the hotel.

Concerning our wifi connection, kindly note that it is usually very good. However, there were maybe a lot of persons connected at that time in the hotel…

Wishing you a nice day, we remain,