“great service and not a bad place at all” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Phoenix
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   79 Avenue Louis-Casai, Geneva 2116, Switzerland   |
Ranked #74 of 103 Hotels in Geneva
UK
“great service and not a bad place at all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012 via mobile

i read the reviews on here and feared to worse. However, I was pleasantly surprised. the hotel is in a great position for the airport and right on the bus route into town- perfect. service was exceptional and from the minute I walked in the door, the staff were so friendly. the room was fine, spacious and clean. when I left the manager gave me a lift to the airport as well! granted this is not a big faceless chain hotel- but take my word for it, it is fine. I am in hotels all the time and I have rarely encountered such friendly service. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Auckland, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I had to spend four nights in this hotel according my current work. There were no aircondition in the room and about 30-35 degree celsius all day from morning to late night although i got a fan in my room.
The (Minibar) fridge was not working in the room, couln't cool down myself with a cold drink.
The breakfast was always very poor, only some cheese and croissant, no any kind of meat or veggies or fruits!
When I wanted to ask something from reception I always had to wait because they played games on the computer or hanged on the internet.
There is no elevator, you have to take your lagguages up to the stairs yourself, no one help.
I wouldn't recommend to anyone!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I travel to Geneva for work often, and this hotel happens to be in the same building as my office, so I stay all the time. First, I would recommend it if you need something cheap and close to the airport. It is not the best place if you come to Geneva as a tourist. The service is efficient and basic, and the rooms are very clean, despite being in need of an update. This place costs less than the other "airport hotels", and it is a 20 min. walk from the hotel to your gate (most of the time). Geneva city centre is about 20 min. by bus. The street can be noisy at night, but I live in a city so I am used to that.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2008

Travelling alone I needed somewhere to stay for the night near Geneva airport. I went to the hotel information desk at the airport and they sent me off with a guy in a car and another person who had been waiting at the desk. Nothing was said and I felt a little anxious (I travel alone regularly, often in Geneva so I'm not nervous of that - it just didn't seem right). We parked at the back of an office block, walked up some stark stairs to a reception desk - everyting was closed even though it was only around 8pm. I completed a card and was handed a key to a room. I really felt terribly uncomfortable so thought I'd just lock myself in the room and sleep, however on entering the room it was stuffy and grubby. I decided I would not stay. Went back down to the reception to tell the guy who'd brought us who became rather angry and ripped up by booking form in my face and told me to leave immediately, which I was happy to do! It took me a while to find the exit, wandering along a corridor of offices.

I walked to the ramada who were full, so I then walked to the Ibis where I usually stay, they were also full but I stayed in the hotel next door to the Ibis which was clean and comfortable and I enjoyed a good meal in the restaurant . This was for a few francs more than the Pheonix.

I cannot believe the airport send people there! Dreadful, grubby, in need of updating, creepy and unfriendly!

• Liked — Nothing at all.
  • Disliked — It made me feel uncomfortable and I was unable to stay after I was showed my room. I left.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

I stayed three nights at Hotel Phoenix this week, and I was happily surprised by the level of services offered (free shuttle to and from the airport or the Palexpo exhibition center, free two-days public transport card...).
The rooms are correct with a good firm mattress, and the breakfast is fine (continental) for the small price of 9 FS.

The only drawback is that walls are thin and you can easily listen to what's happening in the next room. But I could sleep without any problem.

For my next exhibition at Palexpo, I'll book at the Phoenix again.

• Liked — The free wireless access
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2008

Finding a reasonably priced room in Geneva is a constant challenge, and take the word "bargain" out of your vocabulary. But after trying various alternatives, the Phoenix may be the best -- and certainly the friendliest -- of the sorry bunch.

The room was large; so was the closet. Desk space, in-room safe and tea/coffee maker were better than most. Fortunately, the September weather required neither heat nor air conditioning, but the windows open wide and the street was not very noisy. Free wifi and a free internet connection in the "lobby" are Geneva rarities, and I found the staff low key but very helpful and eager to please. Although they misspelled my name and had trouble finding the reservation, once they did, everyone knew my name and greeted me on each arrival and departure. When I got a fax, the desk clerk delivered it to the room without being asked.

If you need well-decorated rooms, handicap access, big-screen TV, room service, meeting rooms, fitness equipment, sleep number mattresses or any other sign that the hotel is in the 21st century, don't stay here. But if you're self-reliant and need a home near the airport without paying for unused amenities, try the Phoenix.

Two warnings: In addition to being in a commercial building and up a flight of stairs, the main building door locks at 6 pm, so you need your room key (a clunker) to enter. Ringing the bell works until midnight, but the hotel reception is unstaffed from midnight to morning, so this could be a problem if you're out late or get an off-hours call. Also, despite the sign outside the airport arrivals hall, the hotel shuttle comes only if you call or pre-arrange it. There are no regular trips. On the other hand, the shuttle can adapt to your schedule, and even take you to individual destinations, which I found advantageous.

Stayed September 2008
Porto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Hotel Phoenix is located very near the airport. Besides that they offer a free shuttle to and from the airport. We arrived quite late, our flight was more than 6 hours delayed. When we arrived we went to the tourism office in the airport and they called the hotel for us. In 15 minutes they were picking us up.
Very friendly service, when we got to the hotel they also tried to contact some friends who also booked a room in the same hotel. Rooms were not luxurious, but bigger than average and confortable. Breakfast (included) was basic, but no complaints, the staff was always very helpful.
There are a few restaurants near the hotel, but it is too far from the city to walk. There is a bus stop 5 minutes from the hotel, and at the stop there is a machine selling tickets.

• Liked — Free Shuttle to airport
  • Disliked — Lack of decoration in the rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Phoenix? Share your experiences!