“Practical, clean, in a convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Comedie to your Saves list
Comedie
12 Rue De Carouge, Geneva 1205, Switzerland   |
Ranked #81 of 103 Hotels in Geneva
“Practical, clean, in a convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great location in a quiet part of the city with very good transport links. Spacious room with simple furniture but enough for a short stay. There is free wi-fi in every room. 5 minutes to the old town. Free public transport card. Next door Coop City supermarket.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked this hotel at short notice when my mum had an accident on holiday and ended up in hospital in Geneva. I booked a single room and was given room 710 which is the room in the photo. The hotel is quirky, I have to admit, but typical of city centre european hotels. The reception is tiny and there is a small lift that bypasses the lower commercial premises and takes you to the rooms on the 5th, 6th, and 7th floor. The general cleanliness exceeded some very good hotels I had stayed in and the staff were extremely helpful. The breakfast are basic (essentially coffee, croissants, and brown bread with jam) but quality and fresh. There were some token pieces of fruit in a bowl and a glass jar of cerial, but it looked a bit tired if I'm honest.
The directions given on the hotel website are excellent and the free transport tips from Geneva airport very good. It really is very easy to get to.
My room appeared to have been refurbished with laminate flooring, however it looked like some others had carpet. I would agree with previous comments. Even my none smoking room smelled smokey, and I have to say that I think the towels and bedding did so slightly too. I wouldnt be surprised if the staff have their cigarette break in the linen cupboard, and thats the best way I can describe the faint smell. If you are completely anti smoking don't choose this hotel. If you want a cheap place to stay, that is in a good location, and close to cheap student eateries and the hospital, I'd say take a chance.

Room Tip: If you are reavelling alone ask for room 710
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Venice, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Having decided to take a holiday in Lucerne, we thought that a couple of stops on the way at Geneva and Interlaken would not come amiss. So arriving in Geneva we took a taxi to the hotel. My first impression of Geneva was not very positive and the only other place that I have had such a negative impression of a place from stepping into a taxi and going for a short ride to a hotel was a certain city in Canada which shall remain nameless.
The taxi driver pulled up and waved his hand over the road at where our hotel was supposed to be. Was it the Hot Cow Burger Bar? Surely not. Perhaps it was the pattisserie. No. It was a glass door sandwiched between the two. My heart sank and I thought that the initial impression of Geneva was going to be confirmed by the hotel.
We rang the bell and were let into the smallest reception area that I have ever known. The lady who received us was very kind and helpful and after the usual formalities we were given the key to our room. The words of an old saying came back to me, Never judge a book by its cover. This proved to be a very fine hotel and if I should ever return to Geneva, which seems to be very unlikely I would use it again. Our room was spotlessly clean, furnished in a modern way and very spacious with armchair and large desk, something essential for me. Also considering that we were on a main road our room was very quiet and situated at the back.
The breakfast room was small and elegant and presided over by a delightful young lady, calm and able to direct the room and its guests smoothly and efficiently.
I have to say that I developed a more positive view of Geneva after a little exploration, not perhaps enough to tempt me back but the enhanced impression of the city was due very much in part to Hotel Comedie.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

I had the good fortune of spending 6 nights in a Junior Suite (thank you travel desk!) in this hotel at the end of April. The hotel is in an excellent location, is fairly priced (even by Geneva standards) and is comfortable, though my opinion is perhaps clouded by the room I stayed in, which was very nice. It consisted of a large room with the bed separated from the main room by a sort of wall divider thing. There were 2 TV's (though out of 40-odd channels only 3 in English), a couch and a couple of chairs, and a decent bed (well, two singles that I had to pull together, but it was comfortable nonetheless).

The shower was powerful and the room was always clean. Being a basic hotel, breakfast was served directly across the hallway from me. It was your standard continental affair, though the dining space was quite cramped. There was also a soft drink vending machine outside the door, though at something like 3 Swiss Franc's per can I gave that one a miss.

I got a bit of a surprise when I tried to close the curtains and found that they only covered 2 of the 4 windows! Apparently they're only for decorative purposes and you need to use the steel shutters - perhaps not unusual for central Europe but definitely unusual for me!

I would definitely stay in this hotel again though one thing to note - both of my work colleagues, despite requesting non-smoking rooms, got smelly smoking rooms. I'm not sure whether they were actually smoking rooms or non-smoking rooms where the residents had smoked but either way they were rightly not happy. Unfortunately they had to stay in those rooms as there were no others free.

Outside of this I had a thoroughly pleasant stay in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I fully agree with the reviewer from Michigan who says it is no frills ( bare bone, he/she says), but great staff. Breakfast was correct, but not a full hot breakfast. Since it is a self-serve breakfast, and quantities are not limited, it fulfilled my need pretty well. The products that are there are very good quality ( bread, cereals, cheese, cold meats, yogurts, fruit juice, coffee). Furniture was minimal in my room, but functional. Bathroom worked well. Location is very good, which is a major point that would make me go back: downtown and many attractions are accessible by foot. Excellent access to public transportation, and staff give you a ticket for any tram or bus, good for the length of your stay. The advantage of location was not obvious to me the first day, but I came to realise it after a few days ( I stayed 4 days). I did not encounter problems with noise. I would go back. About the price, ... well ... Geneva is expansive. After seeing the price of the other places, I think this is reasonnable, for Geneva.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Damascus, Syria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

i spend 2 days in this hotel it was very comfortable i like the breakfast you open the fridge and take what you wish like home very friendly personnel i loved it

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Michigan USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Hotels in Geneva are very expensive, but for a conference at the University, I was told to try the Comedie. It's a bare=bones place, elevator holds three thin people, front desk is a do-it-yourself job, the rooms are sparsely furnished and they only serve a limited breakfast, but what a staff. They can't do enough for the guests. Even printed out my airline tickets. A trolley line runs right outside and there is no shortage of restaurants nearby. If you're in Geneva for the surroundings and don't require a $500/night place, this is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisier but have a vew.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Comedie? Share your experiences!