“A lot of added value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 103 Hotels in Geneva
Warsaw, Poland
“A lot of added value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I usually hesitate to write report after the first visit and wait until third or fourth, but this time I am really impressed so I decided to change the pattern. First – the location. Hotel is 5 minutes’ easy walk, direction Lake, from the Geneva Central Station (Cornavin) where you might get from the airport for free by train (several every hour, each train from the airport stops at Cornavin, free ticket machine located next to the baggage belts at the arrival hall), but if you are really lazy you might rent a limo from the hotel. One block from Rue de Mont Blanc, you might easily get across the river through the Pont du Mont Blanc (although I prefer the next one: Pont des Burgess) to the other part of Geneva. You might also use the water tram, all city communication free to registered guest of Geneva’s hotels. My advice is to use water transport as this adds a lot of tourist value, takes longer but gives you the view from the Lake.
The hotel itself: nice, generous size rooms, with high ceilings, a lot of air. Well decorated in style which I like much more than gold-and-red interiors of similar places. Large bathroom very well equipped with toiletries, also bath robes, slippers etc, of very good quality. All together: larger and nicer than most of the similar class hotels in Geneva I know.
I was there at the end of January, had corner room overlooking Ouai de Mont Blanc , Rue des Alpes and the Geneva Lake with Jet d Eau. Great location and great view, perhaps just one or two more places in Geneva can match. I have seen few reports complaining of the noise, but this is downtown after all and you might not expect total silence. On the other hand Swiss are not happy to honk all the time or burn tires on green, so you might still have good sleep with window wide open. Plus this is area with no night bars, which – if you stay closer to Cornavin – are very noisy during all nights, much more disturbing than traffic. If you are extremely noise sensitive – the windows are soundproof and hotel has air conditioning of course.
Breakfast room nice and quiet, Breakfast right sizes and variety of products, including both buffet and a la carte, Swiss quality. We were advised to try hotel’s restaurant for dinner, but on 2 nights stay my schedule was too packed for it.
Care for small but valuable details: on arrival we were greeted with fresh orange juice, nice after you dry out on the plane. Free wifi (fast network), free mineral water (two bottles, once we used it at the afternoon and by evening the bottles were replaced already), good night chocolates, power plug adaptors etc. small items, which are not very expensive under normal circumstances but priceless if you need them at midnight and find on hand.
And finally the most important – the staff: while the quality of hotel staff in Geneva is usually high in business way, at Hotel de la Paix people were carrying and friendly on top of that. A lot of family feeling, from doormen through reception and concierge, to room staff, everyone really doing best to help. Staff complements very well the hotel.
Generally, it is good value for money, considering location, room and staff quality and all other factors. I will definitively try to return and verify my report. .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I arrived at the Hotel de La Paix with high expectations of a five star hotel by the lake in Geneva with service in the fine tradition of Swiss hotels. I was to be disappointed. Yes, it is by the lake and it does have five stars (I am not sure that all five are deserved...), but the service quality was below average. Rather than embracing the standards of Switzerland, Concorde Hotels (who currently own the De La Paix) seems to have imposed their their own worldwide standardized practices. The worst performer was room service (incredibly slow to produce food that was not worth the wait), but the receptionist at check in was not a lot better. The room, while renovated in recent years, was gloomy and made one want to escape as soon as possible.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HoteldelaPaix1211, Directeur général at Hotel De La Paix, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear guest,

In my position of General Manager I feel very concerned about our guests’ experience and I thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback.
Thanks to the details you gave us, I was able to take the appropriate actions within the hotel to avoid this to happen again.

If you let us a new chance to welcome you, I will personally prove you that the Hotel de la Paix really deserves its 5 stars.

In the meantime, I remain at your entire disposal to discuss the conditions of your next stay.

Riffa, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stayed there on New year eve 2012 for one night only coming from our ski trip in Courchevel.on our way back home to bahrain next day Jan 1,2012.
stayed in Deluxe room with lake view.
The fire works for the new year were just outside our window.
Best view in Geneva, best value for money
Very helpful staff , the girl at the reception helped us with our Limousine company who were late to pick us up, She was really good at that. sorry, I forgot her name.
The TV channels are Exellent for arabs from GCC countries, we watched local GCC channels and felt at home.
The room is newly refubrished and was really good, especially the toilet area with water for wash up, which is great for us Muslims, I guess Geneva is a city that really caters for both Muslims and jews .

Room Tip: Lake view with a price tag to go with it. Did not get the connecting rooms we asked for, but both r...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you are on business or leisure, this is the place to stay in. Excellent value for money. Staff are very friendly and will do their best to help you. Front desk and concierge staff are great. If you need any guidance on how to enjoy your stay and places to visit, they will do so.
Breakfast is excellent with a nice variety of food. If you book a room with a lake view, you will enjoy the water view. Rooms are spacious and new. There is also a very close street parking which is free from 7pm till 8am.
The hotel is also in a very convenient location and close to everything.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
HoteldelaPaix1211, General Manager at Hotel De La Paix, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear guest,

We thank you for your nice comment and are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hotel de la Paix.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again to live a new experience with us in Geneva.

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Ended up at Hotel de la Paix for two weeks for work. It is centrally located and offers rooms that have lake views. I had a room with partial lake views, facing the park. There is a lot of traffic in this area and I could sometimes hear it through the windows. Not enough to wake me but just something to bear in mind if you are a very light sleeper or plan to sleep in a lot.

It is an older building that contains charming decorative elements of the original building (soaring high ceilings, balconies) but has been renovated with modern pieces. My deluxe room was very large with a king size bed and a sofa/settee that could have slept another person it was so large. The bed was very comfortable. The room offered a separate bath and shower, a walk in closet, room safe, flatscreen TV with a few English channels (wish there were more), free wifi, nice bath products, in room Nespresso machine. It was a comfortable and stylish space to work out of. Everything was impeccably clean. I found the heat was a little much but there was a control dial in the room so I turned it down and was able to open the balcony to also cool down the room quickly. The staff was very nice and helped me when my key got deactivated and arranged taxis for me. There is a decent menu for room service (pasta was good, burger was so-so). Considering the high prices for hotels in the downtown area of Geneva this was the hotel that offered the best rate of hotels available at this time of year. Still very expensive by any regular standards I felt like I got excellent service at a good Geneva price.

Room Tip: The superior rooms are smaller than the deluxe rooms but they are much cheaper if you need to watch...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We were very happy to welcome you at the Hotel for this long period.

Women and men of the Hotel de la Paix, including myself, are doing their best to make you feel pampered, at home, away from home.

I thank you for having taken the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor members and I hope that you will come back soon to the Hotel de la Paix for another unforgettable stay.

Sincerely.

Mumbai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

Our room offered a wonderful view of snow capped Mont Blanc. The hotel is located in the center of Geneva only a few minutes away from the multitude of tourist attractions. We enjoyed fine cigars and some wonderful whiskey at the Nobel Bar. The rooms are large and modern and blend elements of the old and new in a wonderful way.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

My team and I thank you for your kind feedback.

The hotel was entirely renovated in 2006 with the intention of offering to our guests a new Boutique-Hotel, with all the modern confort but at the same time, an hotel proud of its historical past. It is a real satisfaction for us when our guests can feel this ambition.

I hope to welcome soon again soon at the Hotel de la Paix.

Kind regards.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Great location. Friendly and helpful staff. The hotel is in great condition and the bed is extra comfortable. At first I thought the price was steep, but for Geneva, I think it is reasonable and worth the price. I would recommend.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel De La Paix? Share your experiences!