“Good basic hotel by station - lacklustre breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cornavin Hotel Geneva

You added Cornavin Hotel Geneva to your Saves list
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   23 blvd James Fazy | Gare de Cornavin, Geneva 1201, Switzerland (James-Fazy)   |
Ranked #38 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Isle of Man
“Good basic hotel by station - lacklustre breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

As others had said - hotels (and everything in Geneva) is expensive - but this hotel with grand location by the station, and functional, clean, rooms, seemed fair value at £110 through Hotelopia for a city hotel and it delivered as described on the whole.

It is immediately outside one of the exits from the station, though sign not obvious and you're too close to the building to see it. That said, reception good, travel card issued for complimentary local public transport - barely needed as everything is walking distance; but handy for train back to airport.

Room was fine, compact and with good view of church. great soundproofing but aircon struggled to get room cool enough - I would hate to imagine this in the summer. Bathroom good with excellent shower, toiletries etc.; unusual frosted glass bathroom wall.

Breakfast - we arrived early; breakfast room has great views, but selection was at best fair and staff did not bother to replace food as it ran out, with the exception of juices - the limited hot selection sausages / scrambled egg lay unattended and almost empty and dried up the whole time we were there. Food itself was 2/3* standard - tinned fruit; cheap looking selection.

In summary - a functional hotel; nothing to get exited about other than convenient location. Breakfast poor; but prices for food outside the hotel are high so hotel has very little need competition to make an effort here and it shows; certainly on the weekend I visited.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

It is 7 minutes by train from the airport and it is free if you pick up your ticket before leaving the arrival hall of Geneva airport (Switzerland, not France, there are two).
It is centrally located with easy access to shops, the lake and public transport. When you stay at Hotel Cornavin (and most other hotels in Geneva), you will receive a free ticket to move around town by tram, bus, trolleybus or train. I loved it.
I must admit, I have not tried their food, nor any extra services. It was a business trip and I needed a simple, clean place to sleep. Much to my surprise, the room was nicely designed and - so important if you come from Africa - the bathroom had a tub :)
I was placed on the seventh floor in a corner room. Try to get this one if you can - it is glass from the floor to the ceiling offering a spectacular view on the square and the St.Mary (?) church.

Room Tip: Try to get the room on the 7th floor. Ideally, 715 which is on the corner.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. The staff were helpful and carried our bags up to our room. The hotel is quiet and clean and we had a very spacious three person room. The hotel is very well situated right next to the train station and central to cafes and shops, yet still manages to have quiet rooms. Great views from our room. Internet was free and fast. Overall a very pleasant stay and we wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Unfortunately I had a disappointment on my holiday return, when I noticed I was charged twice for my stay at Hotel Cornavin. I booked well in advance for one room through 'Booking.com'. Some time later I receive a fake email that my reservation was canceled. With the proximity of the date of travel, I immediately made ​​another booking - with another email address. Thus, I had two reservations without knowing.
I was upset for never having been alerted by the website 'Booking.com' about fake emails, but my biggest disappointment is with Hotel Cornavin. Now they say I had two rooms available and therefore they charge me double. But at my checkin, no one told me there were two reservations in my name and just offered me one room. This attitude shows dishonesty of the staff management , because they they knew about my mistake but didn't say anything about it . Since I would be charged for two rooms, I could have enjoyed two rooms . I hope to get some answer about that. Sincerily, Karin Sauer.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

The reception was cold when we arrived -- staff not smiling, just went through the check-in process and that's it. No assistance with bags. Also upon arrival at the room, a couple of guys asked to be let in to fix the toilet mirror. I was apprehensive at the moment if the guys are really from the hotel so stood outside of the room at the door while they are fixing the mirror -- which lasted for about 45 minutes ! -- time wasted during our holiday trip to Geneva. I don't like the toilet at all, it's very cold, it's just tiles. The room is very basic. The price I paid for the room is very reasonable though, so I guess cannot complain much :)

Location wise, the hotel is great as it's just beside the main station, so it's easy to move around. We were also given a free mobility ticket.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I have stayed here on various occasions. it is quite a good hotel - and in spite of the fact that it is next to the station the rooms are reasonably quiet. This time I had wonderful views of the mountains from my 5th floor room. The wifi is not good enough for a hotel of this price and quality - it is free but that is not much help if it does not work.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room with a view - and if you need to work in the roo check the wifi before you unpa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

... or else you will caught with supprise bill.

Overall the hotel is the best situated hotel in Geneva. Adjacent to Genevè train station and Gare Cornavin. A lot of halal cafe arround which is a plus point to me.

Metro shopping centre is just under the train station. You can purchase your bullet train/express train ticket here and yes the machine and the counter is English savy.

For the price I paid (Which is half of the price of any hotel in Geneva) I think it was worth every penny. Definitely will comeback with my family and don't forget to get your Geneva Transport card and use it for bus and tram ride in Geneva and your ride to Geneva airport train station which is conveniently a stop away.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Been to Cornavin Hotel Geneva? Share your experiences!