“Great location, reasonably priced” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Cristal Design
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Rue Pradier, Geneva 1201, Switzerland   |
Ranked #40 of 106 Hotels in Geneva
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great location, reasonably priced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I was really impressed with the Hotel Cristal Design. It's very clean and modern, with comfortable beds and nice bathrooms. The room wasn't huge, but big enough for a kingsize bed. As I was on my own, the wardrobe/storage space was plenty, although it may be a bit tight for two people or a longer stay.

The street outside can get a little noisy at night, but the windows are completely sound-proofed, so it's not too much of a problem. The only issue I had was that the air conditioning only works during the summer months, so I couldn't get the temperature below about 21C, which is a few degrees hotter than I would've liked!

The location is great, less than five minutes' walk to Gare Cornavin, which has direct services to the airport. It's also next door to a Starbucks, which was perfect for breakfast every morning (the hotel does offer breakfast, but CHF19 was a bit pricey for me).

Given this is one of the cheapest options in central Geneva, you can't go far wrong.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel had a major upgrade a couple of years ago and is now seriously stylish. However frosted glass walls and furniture (pale green) coupled with a glass effect floor, ice blue soft furnishings and many mirrors give the impression of staying in an ice cube or mint sweet. It is warm and comfortable and has all amenities. Contrary to previous reviews, I found all the staff pleasant and helpful. Free wi-fi, a free Geneva bus pass and a central location surrounded by places to eat make this a good choice. Much better than other hotels nearby. Access to the gym at sister hotel the Cornavin.

Room Tip: Try and get a rate which includes breakfast as this is expensive when paid separately...alternately...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The room itself was nice enough with the exception of the glass bathroom doors which were a bit strange but the staff were the rudest most unfriendly staff of any hotel that I have ever stayed in. The Asian man and the blonde woman were the two worst and so rude. The owners of the hotel need to have a word with them as they have certainly put me off every staying at the hotel again and apparently according to other guests we spoke to while staying we aren't the only one's who won't be back because of how rude they were.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family of six had three rooms at this hotel on an overnight in Geneva last week. The location is just outside the main train station so it was perfect as we arrived on a train and then took a train back to the airport to fly back to the US. The location is also very close to the lakefront in Geneva, a 5 to 7 minute walk. The only issue is that the rooms are small. The front desk person was extremely helpful and suggested three restaurants one of which we enjoyed. I wouild stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great hotel...10 mins walk from Cornavin Station.
Reception staff let us check-in early 10.30am.
Stylish,functional rooms..very clean.
Lots of bars,cafes and restuarants within a few hundred metres.
Great value..excellent !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I had been there 5 years ago and the hotel was awful. They closed the place down and remodeled it. It is now a design hotel. Once you get in you have the feeling of a deja vú.... but when I opened the door to the room, what a delightful surprise. Modern desing, use all the space in the room. Nice to the eye. Breakfast is OK for Geneva. Central location. Near everything one can need in Geneva.
Not to mention service: recpetion desk great, cleaning great etc...

Room Tip: Even the single rooms are not bad. But if you can get a nice rate for a double, go for it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is my first tripadvisor review. I am not a complainer. But I am willing to spend a few minutes so you can avoid unpleasant experience in Geneva. My husband and I have many many countries and stayed many hotels. The front desk staff in this hotel needs some help!

1. The guy at the front desk told us to go to bus 8 at the train station to mount veyrier for cable car. When we got train station, we found out bus 8 has two destinations. My husband got back to the hotel to ask the gentleman. He refused to tell him. Here is his words " you just like the other customers who stayed in this hotel, you guys don't listen. I told you one time and I am not going to repeat myself".

2. Our daughter is 3 and we paid a baby cot. We found she only has a very thin blue blanket. We asked if we can get some towel or anything. The lady with long curly hair at the front desk said " the cleaning lady has gone home and I don't have the key." No further word and not even look at us. Colder than the room at night.

3. Breakfast. Again the curly hair lady. She said " I worked a few hotels in Geneva, if you book through booking.com, then your breakfast is not included". She wants to charge us 16-17 dollars per person. Why no one ask us room number when we get to breakfast area? Why no one tell us anything when we check in? Breakfast is very simple. Cold cheese and ham, no egg. We used booking.com to book more than hundreds hotels. Never heard one time that because of booking.com so breakfast is not included. Because we know there is breakfast option when you book a hotel.

This hotel has a great location. Room is simple but it is fine. But front desk people need some customer service training. So you will have an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family