I had not intended to comment on this hotel just yet but I have mistakenly made the wrong choice on the MO survey. Well, whereas there are several issues that could be improved this is a decidedly excellent hotel, esp. because of the warmth and professionalism of the whole staff, who genuinely cared about us right from the moment we stepped out of the car after a long drive into Geneva, until the day of our departure. We certainly felt pampered throughout our stay, be it during breakfast time, after working out or while having an evening drink. That is certainly an aspect the hotel management should be proud about.
Some previous reviewers have complained about the hotel's location but, to be honest, that criticism makes no sense to me. Granted, it might not be located in the same block as the rest of the city's 5-star hotels (who are within a stone's throw of each other), but it is still in the center of Geneva, just a minute or two walk away from the main shopping thoroughfare, three or four minutes away on foot from, for instance, the Four Seasons and certainly close to other areas like the Old Quarter or Cornavin Station. Besides, the hotel provides its guest with a free transport card for those of us who find it harder to walk around or are simply too lazy for doing so :-)
As for the hotel's facilities, breakfast was very good and with an ample choice both at the buffet (a selection of cheese, fruit, cereals, hot dishes, dairy products, cold cuts, juices, etc.) and à la carte. Staff was efficient, professional and all-around nice, and they even remembered my choices. Other than that, the fitness center and the wellness area, while not huge, are very well equipped and perfectly adequate after a run around the city. Finally, the MO Bar provides an excellent selection of drinks (expensive, yes, but just like everywhere else in the city) prepared and served with expertise by the very pleasant staff working therein.
The hotel building (another focus of complaints from what I've read) does certainly not have the glamour and glitz of the other 5-star hotels at first sight, but it is an interesting and intriguing piece of 1950s brutalism that does not stick out in the area where it is located, so that pretty much adds to the charm even if the inside layout leaves the hotel with little room to manoeuvre, thus meaning that, for instance, the lobby is a little bit underwhelming for a hotel of its category.
Run out of space, more to follow!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A living example of Swiss hotel tradition at its very best, Mandarin Oriental, Geneva has a superb location on the River Rhone, located within the heart of the city's shopping, historic and business districts. Following an extensive refurbishment, the hotel features 196 elegant and spacious rooms and suites, with many suites enjoying private terraces with supreme views of the river, Old Town and snow-capped mountains. Michelin starred dining, unparalleled service and luxury make it the ideal choice for discerning travellers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Mandarin Oriental, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Geneva reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Geneva Hotel Geneva
- Mandarin Switzerland
- Mandarin Oriental Switzerland
- Geneva Mandarin Oriental