“Love this hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Geneva

You added Mandarin Oriental, Geneva to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Geneva
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Quai Turrettini 1 | Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, Geneva 1201, Switzerland   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Complimentary Wifi
Ranked #2 of 103 Hotels in Geneva
South Florida
“Love this hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

As I write this review we are packing up to go to Interlocken and explore the rest of Switzerland and we almost don't want to leave the Mandarin in Geneva! I cannot say enough about the service at this hotel. The staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. We had a premiere river view room which was spacious, had a great view, and everything is within a short walking distance. Housekeeping is impeccable with attention to detail. And did I mention that the staff is amazing? ;) Great place to stay in Geneva and we hope to be back someday!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Jessfl11,
What lovely feedback! Thanks a million for having taken the time to share it with us. It was absolutely a pleasure to welcome you and we are delighted to learn that you found our welcoming and accommodating services to be of top level. My colleagues and I look forward to welcoming you back to your “home away from home”, hopefully in the not too distant future.
Warm regards,
Mandarin Oriental, Geneva

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I have been lucky enough to stay a lot a this classy hotel on business, and my last stay was really splendid. My room was one of the larger bedrooms at the front of the hotel, overlooking the river as it exits the lake. Everything about the spacious room was luxurious and welcoming. The bed was comfortable, the bedroom furniture of very high quality and, best of all, I had a large, modern desk looking out of the window on the lovely view outside. The food in the hotel restaurants was good too, and there is a renowned Indian restaurant open here now. The staff were impeccable polite as befits a hotel of this class. As you enter the foyer of the hotel, the floral arrangement makes the whole reception area smell nice. a smell that will always remind you of the hotel. As you can imagine, this classy hotel is very expensive.

Room Tip: Try to book a room at the front of the hotel for its view of the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Wayster,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback about your recent stay with us. We are delighted to welcome you regularly and that you consider our hotel and its services as splendid. It was a pleasure for our colleagues to provide their best service for you and to make you feel comfortable while on business trip. Your nice and detailed comment is a ringing endorsement of our day to day efforts and we are very grateful for this. So pleased you liked our flower arrangements and our smell in the lobby. We look forward to your next visit in charming Geneva.
JAKARTA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have recently grown quite fond of the Mandarin Oriental brand, having nice stays are their properties in Hong Kong and Shanghai. The Mandarin Oriental Geneva is one of the premium luxury hotels based in Geneva. Since I had a holiday there for 5 nights, I decided to try it out.

Arriving

I arrived by train from Zurich after a long flight and then took a cab to the hotel. The hotel was located very near to the Geneva train station actually, just about 5 mins taxi ride. On arrival, I was told my room was not yet ready which was understandable since I arrived at 11:30AM in the morning. After waiting for about 15 mins at the hotel’s bar where I enjoyed a refreshing cup of coffee, I was escorted to the suite by the friendly Guest Relationship Manager.

The Room

I booked a Premier River View Room and was upgraded to the Mandarin Room. Initially, I actually prefer the layout of the River View Room but I end up liking the Mandarin Room also since it is a recently renovated suite. The suite comes with a large kind size bed, a generous sitting area, a walk-in closet and twin ensuite bathrooms, well decked with a generously sized Bang & Olufsen television.

The bed is very comfortable and the air condition works great, so does the mood lighting switches. I do not however like the layout of the bathroom which is physically divided into two separate areas on each side of the entrance foyer. So the shower stall and toilet ends up on one side while the bathroom and bidet ends up on another. The shower room / toilet is rather crammed and lack space. Water pressure is also low but I was told this is the norm in the hotel. Bear in mind the hotel was housed in an old building, which probably explains the lack of water pressure and the low ceiling. However, the water pressure just feels too low to me as in Asia, we are used to high water pressure.

The room has a nice view of the river overlooking Rue Du Rhone. Sound proofing can be better though as I could hear the neighbor’s next door activity when it gets loud but it’s never disturbingly loud.

I had the opportunity to preview some of the other rooms in the hotel including the Deluxe suites and the terrace junior suite. In my opinion, it is worth paying more for the terrace suites as the terrace is a wonderful place to enjoy the river view and have a drink at the same time. The terrace suites and rooms are also far more spacious and well equipped. When or if I return to this hotel, I will definitely booked the Terrace suite.

The Common areas and Location

The hotel despite housed in it’s own building, is rather small. It has 200 rooms but the common areas are not spacious. The lobby is small, with stand in for check-ins. There is the usual MO Bar and an all-day dinning restaurant. The famed Indian restaurant with Michelin Star was unfortunately closed during my stay. There is supposed to be a gym but I didn’t visit. No swimming pool or spa apparently.

The morning breakfast consist of a general buffet section with a good selection of breads, cold cuts and hot food. One can also order ala carte off the menu like omelets or waffles that is included in the breakfast price. They all taste great and is of top quality. However, I stayed 5 days at the hotel and it did became a bit of a bore towards the later stage of the stay as everyday the exact same items were served. Also tried dinner at the restaurant. The portions were small and the price rather expensive. But in truth, everywhere in Geneva is very expensive.

The hotel’s location is great, just a short walk across the river, one reaches the fabulous shopping district of Rue du Rhone. If you are into high-end timepiece, this place is heavenly as it houses some of the most exclusive watch brand boutiques you can find in the world. More shopping, shops and cafes can be found along lake Geneva and Les Berges area which is about 10 mins walk from the hotel. The museum district is about 20 mins from the hotel. Actually, it is possible to walk anywhere in Geneva within 30 to 40 mins and the city is just great for walking full of nice roads, green parks and clear road signs.

Really nothing to fault here. Typical Mandarin Oriental efficiency and graciousness at it’s finest. Right from my check-in, I was greeted by name everywhere I got. Any request made were attended promptly and efficiently. Only nitpick I have is that I don’t think they should charge hotel guest corkage for bringing their own wine when dinning in the restaurant. The concierge was also very helpful in making suggestions where to visit and also helped me setup my phone with a pre-paid SIM card.

Conclusion

The hotel is a great choice in Geneva and I would not hesitate to return. I do hope they can do something with the low water pressure in the shower though, and also to introduce more varying variety in the morning breakfast. Then it will be worthy of a perfect score of 5 out of 5. For now, it’s 4 out of 5. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If it is within your budget, book a terrace room / suite
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear BENLEE123,
My team and I would like to thank you so much for having taken the time to write such detailed feedback and to share with us your experience of Mandarin Oriental, Geneva. It is wonderful to read your observations in such detail and we truly appreciate sharing these with the online travel community. Everyone may benefit from this. It was a great decision of yours to choose our hotel and stay with us for your holiday in Geneva. We are so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time in our charming, and yes, expensive, city. We are sorry that you did not find our Mandarin room’s bathroom setting, water pressure, breakfast choice and restaurant dishes portions size to your liking. I have taken good note of your comments and rest assured that I will brief my teams accordingly, so that we can deliver an even better service in future. Once again, we are very grateful for your kind feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to charming Geneva soon.
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We have made the reservations for the Mandarin Oriental in Geneva online and were picked up at the airport by our limousine company. The ride took some 15 minutes and was very smooth and pleasant as always. We have chosen this hotel mostly, because we already stayed in Mandarin Hotels in other cities and were very pleased, but also because the wonderful pictures that we saw on hotel's web site. I simply fell in love with the Royal Mandarin Suite and that's what we ended up choosing.
The suit is amazing, no other word to describe it. Very luxurious, spacious, comfortable, many surprise and useful items are part of the offer; my room was looking at the river, so the view was wonderful as well.
I think I am allowed to say that the suit was even more than I expected and hoped for.
P.S. It was here that I experienced one of the best massages ever.

Room Tip: The higher rooms located on the river side have amazing view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
MOGVA, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Yoshi T,
What a very nice comment, thank you so much for sharing it with the online travelers community. We are delighted and honored to learn that you really liked our hotel, especially our luxurious Royal Mandarin Suite. It was a pleasure for all of us to create a most comfortable and unforgettable experience for you, with our view overlooking the river and city. We will look forward to welcoming you again on a future visit to charming Geneva.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had the good fortune to stay at the Mandarin Oriental this weekend, We have stayed at good luxury hotels before but this was 6 Stars. A few days out we were contacted by the Reservations Agent in the Hotel to confirm our stay, I asked if they would mind us checking in early as we were on the first plane in from London and I had a business meeting while my Partner would have been left waiting.

Xavier was fantastic and said he would arrange it, a day later I remembered I had not booked a smoking room, he changed it immediately for us

We arrived early and were offered coffee as we checked in and the front desk and Concierge told us about Geneva and where to go. The staff were very friendly and warm with out being over familiar.

Our Room was lovely and ready well before 11am. The suite was very well sized and well laid out. When we went out for a walk around town the doorman offered us an umbrella, his weather prediction was spot on.

Breakfast and room service were impeccable and the staff made you feel special.

We were able to savour the Hotel a little longer as they allowed us a late check out so we did not have to spend hours in the airport.

For those traveling for Business this is the most stress free way to stay. For those traveling for pleasure you can not go wrong in staying at the Mandarin Oriental.

Room Tip: The views over the river are great and the double glazing means you will not hear any noise
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear pcbjensen,
What a delight to read your amazing feedback, thank you so much for having taken the time to describe and share it with us. We are very pleased that you had a fantastic stay with us and that we could create a stress-free experience for you and your partner. Xavier, as well as our Front Office and Concierge colleagues, would like to thank you so much and it was a pleasure for them to personalize their service for your convenience. We all look forward to having another opportunity to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva soon.
Billericay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

As you'd expect with the Mandarin Oriental, everything was top class. Room was spotless and very comfortable. Lovely little touches with the Nespresso coffee machine - home away from home. Staff were fantastic - concierge was extremely helpful with directing us on where to see and places to eat. House keeping staff were very friendly and although turn down service was scheduled for 18:00pm, as we were getting ready they came back at 21:00pm which was much appreciated. Good location, most things are a 10-20 minute walk away. Overall, great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MRB3917,
Many thanks for your very nice comment about your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Geneva. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and services, especially our rooms, and our concierge and housekeeping services. We look forward to welcoming you back and to offer you another wonderful experience in Geneva with oriental charm in the not too distant future.
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Rooms are spacious and very clean. But it doesn' have any swimming pool or any facilities for kids. Close to places to visit and see. Compare to other Mandarin Oriental hotels, it is not really perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jiyoung K,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are sorry to learn that you did not find our hotel to be at the same level as other Mandarin Oriental hotels. On the other side, we are pleased to read that you enjoyed our location and rooms. We hope to welcome you back to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva in the not too distant future.
Mandarin Oriental, Geneva

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Geneva? Share your experiences!