“Excellent Budget Hotel in town!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St-Gervais

You added Hotel St-Gervais to your Saves list
Hotel St-Gervais
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue des Corps-Saint 20, Geneva CH-1201, Switzerland (Saint-Gervais Temple)   |
Ranked #52 of 105 Hotels in Geneva
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Excellent Budget Hotel in town!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stayed here with family of three including one 3 year old child for 2 nights.
The stay was comfortable and cost us 230CHF including breakfast.
We never had breakfast but were given few croissant and tea in the morning after hours which was nice of the staff.
Staff was very helpful and very informative about local places, they also gave us free bus passes to use to travel anywhere in Geneva.
Staff called us to confirm the arrival and also gave us a code to enter the hotel after hours as we were due to check in late they left the key in the reception and informed us about it which was nice of them.
Overall we had a lovely time in hotel and Geneva and will be definitely back for more memories :-).

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Wageningen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Explained a lot about Geneva and places to visit.I used a single room. It was clean. Breakfast was nice and with a lot of options (not like other hotels I visited in Europe). Very closer to city centre and attractions. Staff even kept my luggage until the check in time arrives. That happened when I wanted to check out. So a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

After reading reviews including some negative comments here, I decided to have a go because of its convenient location and price (breakfast and free WiFi included) although I was not fancy having shared bath/toilet.

As others commented, the location is excellent, only a 5-minute walk from the station and a 10-minute walk to beautiful Lake Geneva. It is a bit difficult to find the hotel as there are many streets. So, I used a free Sat-Nav app in my mobile to find the hotel.

Yes, the reception was very tiny that I had never seen before, the lift was small, the room was small with a semi-double bed (I think), and a bit noisy as the hotel is located not far from the main street. However, the staff were very friendly, the room was very clean with a soap and sampoo, free WiFi, and nice free breakfast provided. Also, the bath/toilet was kept clean.
Because of its location and no air-conditioning in the room, I thought that the room would be very hot in the summer with lots of noise if the windows were kept opening overnight.

When we asked a young receptionist where she would recommend for dinner with reasonable price, she suggested us to try a restaurant called Chez Ma Cousine, nearly a 15-minute walk from the hotel (you can find this restaurant's reviews on Tripadvisor), and her suggestion was right! We enjoyed the meal.

If you come from Geneva Airport to the hotel by public transport, make sure that you obtain a free transport ticket (valid for 80 minutes) from a machine located in Luggage Collection/Customs area inside the airport.

Overall, we were happy with the hotel and their services.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

How does one rate a hotel which correctly advertises itself as a 1-star hotel, but it turns out that its location, price and overall stay value is almost 5-star? That's the feeling I have with the St. Gervais hotel Geneva. Here's my full story then -

Booking -

after much much research over the net for a cheap (!) hotel in Geneva (!!), it basically boiled down to the Ibis Budget and the St. Gervais. After emailing and whatever little bargaining, I managed to book a family room for 1 night for CHF 125 including tax and breakfast. This was about 3 months before our stay. A credit card was required to guarantee the booking, and they blocked my card for the CHF 125. Ok, can live with that...

Arrival -

I had already asked for directions to the hotel from the main train station. Upon exiting from the main entrance, we walked as per the instructions, but somehow could not find the hotel. There were just too many lanes and streets between the station and the hotel. Finally, went into a store, and a lovely cheerful salesgirl helped me locate the hotel. It's about 10 min walk from the main station, OR - you can take the bus from the station and get off at the very next stop called Coutance. The hotel is right in front at the start of a small lane.

The hotel itself was very small from the outside, and my gosh, the reception desk was even smaller!.... (haah! - we hadn't seen the elevator yet...) Mr. E Camacho greeted us at the reception - a very friendly man with whom i had many emails exchanged as well, He's the manager here, looked like the owner, forgot to ask him I realised later..

So we were checked in quickly, room no 1 on the first floor. A city map was given, and Mr Camacho explained the tourist and shopping sites in detail. Also gave us a free city card to use on the buses and trains, and the red and yellow boats.

Also told, that the hotels front door shuts at 11 p.m, so if we have to enter after that, a 4-digit code has to be punched at the machine on the door. This was a good safety feature I thought.

To get the luggage up was a task as the elevator was so small, that I couldn't call it anything else... So we put our bags in it and took the stairs. Worked out just fine!

Room -

I had the triple/ family room, so this was with the bath and WC inside. Other rooms have to share the common facilities in the corridor, which were just outside of our room. A peek insdie revealed that they were big and very clean indeed! So don;t worry about that...

Our room was smallish, with 2 queen size beds, one below the other, yes it was more like a rectangle room than a square one. Space was fine, there was a TV too, plug points, a table, chair, small window that opened onto the entrance above the hotel.... But, but, it was indeed a very budget and un-furnished room. More like an Inn. We were here for only 1 night, so it did the job for us, though upon entering the room and hotel we were quite disappointed at how budget the hotel really turned out to be.

Bathroom -

was clean and spacious, with a lot of towels and hand towels! In fact, I think in all there must have been 7 or 8 towels in all, wow... Never seen those many in a 5-star.

Location -

is the BEST part about this hotel. It's well located, just near the station and bus stop, lots of shops around, and a short 5 min walk straight to the lake. Excellent location.

Breakfast -

I had been told strictly that B/F would only be served between 6.30 - 9.00 a.m so we rushed down at 8.30. Apart from my family, there was just another couple at the small dining area, which was in front of reception and could also be called the lobby of the hotel I guess.

There was a single girl behind the counter/ bar, and she brought out breakfast to both tables - croissant, butter, jam, tea or coffee and juice. A true basic B/F to start off the day! It was of course very sparse, but enough to start off with, and in geneva, included in the hotel price, so can't complain...

Staff -

Apart from Mr Camacho, there was another blonde girl at reception and the girl at breakfast. All very friendly and cheerful. 5-stars for the staff!

Check-out -

was again at 11 a.m sharp I was told. Our flight back was in the night, so Mr Camacho kindly offered to keep our luggage while we went into the city. We came back at about 4.30 and then took the bus no. 5 or 10 straight to the airport. 25 min. The bus station is just outside the hotel.

So we had a fair stay in the St. Gervais. I don't think I've ever stayed in a 1-star hotel before, so it was a surprise to see the whole set-up and the room. But things were fine in the end, and we were quite happy with our 1-night here. Staff were really good and the location is unbeatable. price was also just right.

I would highly recommend this hotel for all budget travellers. I would have given them a 5-star rating, but the room quality must improve a bit. The 4-stars are for the great location and friendly staff and the price. It's a good experience to stay in a 1-star hotel too which offers so many facilities and convenience in an expensive city like geneva!

Room Tip: Ask for the family room no.1 on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Stayed at this hotel late May with my girlfriend. The price for a night was ~60 euros per night which was pretty good in Geneva for a double room including breakfast. Location of the hotel was very good; 5 minutes walk from the train station and 10 minutes walk from the main shopping street of Geneva. The tram was also within walking distance for those who prefers a more casual mode of transport. There are multitudes of restaurants serving different cuisine with varying prices just down the street from the hotel. Food should not be a worry.

On arrival, the receptionist gave us vital information regarding the bus and train lines as well as the usual tourist information. We also had a transport card which allowed us free access to the trams and buses in the city for the 2 days we were in Geneva. Service was commendable.

The room was clean but small and the bathroom was not en-suite but still clean. The bed however was very small and me being 6'2", my toes were dangling off the edge of the bed which made it difficult for me to get a good rest.

Breakfast was a serving of various breads with jams, cheeses and butter at your disposal accompanied with coffee, tea or juices.

The value for money for the room is great. Services rendered was really good. I'd definitely recommend this hotel for travellers looking to stay in a hotel providing breakfast which is in the centre of Geneva and within close proximity to the lake of Geneva and all modes of transportation or budget travellers not looking for a dormitory. Do be mindful that everything in Switzerland is pricy and this is about the best price for a hotel that can provide breakfast and gives good service and close to everything that a tourist needs.

Room Tip: Expect the rooms to be small with shared bathrooms but it's the cheapest rooms in Geneva
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Geneva is ridiculously expensive so Hotel St-Gervais is definitely good value. It's located 5 minutes away from the main train station and we found it easily. To our pleasant surprise, even though we booked the room with shared bath room, we were given the attic room with ensuite toilet. The receptionist was also very kind and friendly. The breakfast was also good. Manor Department store is right opposite if you need to buy stuff or groceries. The lift was very claustrophobic though, it is the tiniest lift I had seen so far in Europe but I suppose a lift is better than no lift? Recommended for 1 or 2 nights stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We had a nice stay at Hotel St-Gervais. Geneva is VERY expensive, but this hotel was in our budget and had fairly good reviews. Although the rooms are very small and there are shared bathrooms, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff was kind and helped us fit a third person in our room (it was tight...). The shared bathroom was really clean and there is a sink in the room which was nice. The hotel definitely isn't luxurious, but it was cute, comfortable and did the trick! As long as you're okay sharing a bathroom, I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel St-Gervais? Share your experiences!