“This hotel has everything going for it: Quality, Location and Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel d'Angleterre

Special Offer
Champagne & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 104 hotels in Geneva
Forney, Texas
“This hotel has everything going for it: Quality, Location and Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel d'Angleterre for a week while on business in Geneva and I have nothing but positive things to say! The service is as good as it gets! The room itself was very traditional and well-appointed, something one only sees in the U.S. in hotels like The Plaza in NYC. The room was very comfortable including the bed (I had a king size that was actually two beds put together--something I find very common in Europe even in the finer hotels). If you want quite, you might not want to face the road in the front, but it does have a great view of the geyser in Lake Geneva! Amenities were above average . . . and the Internet free. In fact, my only gripe could be the food prices for room service and in the restaurant (the food was generally very good); however, the high prices are like that elsewhere in Geneva; for example, I worked out of two other hotels during my stay and the food prices were even higher. Even though this hotel may appear expensive, it really isn't relative to other hotels in the area. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jean-Vital D, General Manager at Hotel d'Angleterre, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Paul,
Thank you very much for you warm comment regarding your experience at the hotel d'Angleterre. It is true that our rooms facing the lake offer some breath-taking views on Geneva's "jet d'eau" as well as on the roof of Europe, the "Mont Blanc".
Thanks also for your fair comment regarding the prices of our hotel compared to others in Geneva ... it is true that the exchange rate between Swiss Franc and other currencies sometimes gives to Geneva a feeling of being expensive.
I hope we will have the opportunity to greet you soon again.
Jean-Vital Domézon

307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Camberley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I'd booked a weekend break in Geneva to celebrate my wedding anniversary last month, and chose the Hotel d'Angleterre primarily for its TripAdvisor reviews and brilliant location. From the moment we arrived on Friday afternoon to the moment we departed on Sunday lunchtime, not a single thing caused us even the tiniest displeasure, which is extremely rare for ANY hotel.

Everything about our stay was as close to perfection as I can possibly imagine on earth. From the genuine warmth and friendliness of ALL the hotel staff, the attention to detail in the furnishing of the beautifully appointed rooms to the delightful little touches that made you feel like you're their only guests, I was bordering on misery when we had to leave.

Quite how they manage to get everything so right, I have no idea but it just shows it can be done. Many equivalent priced hotels offer similar accomodation and expectations of perfection, yet the simplest thing like a forgotten room service request, broken shower control or a sullen shrug from a disinterested staff member can soon end your enjoyment.

I can honestly say that without exception, every single member of staff we came into contact with, from the efficient and charming receptionist that checked us in, to the immaculately uniformed cleaning lady from El Salvador that chatted to my wife in Spanish, were a pleasure to deal with. When we initially had trouble connecting an iPad to their Wi-Fi network, the resident IT expert was despatched within minutes to our room and sorted the problem with a smile. Whoever is responsible for recruiting and training the staff here must be true perfectionists and could certainly teach a thing to other hotels about how guests like to be treated.

The view from our large room on the second floor overlooked the lake and despite the foul weather outside (the Jet d'eau was almost blowing sideways!) the calmness and serenity inside ensured a perfect sleep, free of any interruption. Everything about the room furnishings oozed quality and class, and the bathroom was possibly the finest I've ever seen.

Although we dined out with local friends in the evening, we did sample the splendid breakfast buffet on both mornings, which was also a delight. The freshest and largest selection of breads, meats, cheeses, pastries, fruit, juices and cereals kept us so full, I didn't even manage to order the bacon, sausage and pancakes that a neighbouring guest was clearly enjoying. Service in the restaurant was also exemplary with none of the 'searching for a waiter' routine you often have to do for a refill of coffee.

As many other reviewers have noted, it's the staff that really make this hotel so special and they truly deserve the credit given by other guests. It's not cheap, but then Geneva's not known for being a 'budget' city and for this level of quality and service, I thought it was excellent value. It was a memorable trip in many ways, but the next time we head to Geneva, this is where we'll be staying!

Newport Center, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I can't imagine a better place to stay in Geneva. After our overnight flight from North America and a short walk from Gare Cornavin in the rain, we arrived looking quite bedraggled at Hotel d'Angleterre. We were met by 2 extraordinarily friendly and welcoming gentlemen at the reception desk who made our check-in process a breeze. We were then escorted to our room where a detailed tour of the room ensued. We were brought coffee and provided with an enormous bowl of Swiss chocolate. Our room was on the top floor and, upon opening the windows, were greeted by a superb view of Lac Leman. The location of the hotel is excellent both from the standpoint of the view to Old Geneva, as well as being directly at the site of the ferry across the lake. Proximity to the train station as mentioned above is also excellent. Our room deserves only superlatives, being fully equipped in every regard, even to the point of providing a 110V AC electrical outlet. To me, however, the greatest asset of this hotel was the incredible staff, every member of which was as polite, friendly, and helpful as the two men at the reception desk. This hotel deserves all the accolades that have been bestowed upon it in other reviews. If the occasion arises for my wife and I to return to Geneva, I have no doubt where we will be staying.

Marlow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed for a weekend having chosen the hotel based on reviews and having stayed in two of their London hotels.
The hotel is beautifully furnished, immaculately clean and in a great location but the highlight is the quality of the service.
I'm not sure how they do it and why other hotels fail to, but the quality of service is truly exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble, we were made to feel like the only guests and our name was remembered consistently by staff in all the functions.
I can't recommend the hotel or Red Carnation as a group enough.

• Stayed November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times for business over the years. I have always like the location proximity to the train station, the wonderful views of Lake Leman, the staff, facilities and restaurant . This time was the first time I ever stayed there with my wife during our 25th anniversary trip to Europe.

When we arrived, the doorman who I did not know greeted us with "welcome back Mr. R" The front desk was equally as inviting and kind. We were escorted to our room where the staff had made the bed with a heart of rose pedals, swiss chocolates and other canapés. While up there, the front desk called and asked if I had the keys to my car. I told them that I did, but that we would be leaving soon to return the car to the airport. I had not locked the car. When I got downstairs about 20 minutes later, there was a bell hop GUARDING my car!! I was blown away. He told me he was worried leaving the car unlocked, so simply waited for me to return.

Later that evening we went to the Leopard Room bar for drinks and a Great band. The service was impeccable.

When we returned to our room, there was another desert for us to have before bedtime. It was a wonderful experience. We were sorry that we only stayed one night, and will definitely be back soon. When we checked out, it felt like we were leaving home away from home.... a great feeling. Be sure to check this place out!!

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This small leading hotel is not very small, but it feels like home away from home. Beautifully located on the Quai, this hotel offers fantastic rooms, excellent and very personal service and one of the best hotel bars I've ever come across: the Leopard Bar. In a quiet and romantic setting, this bar boasts splendid cocktails and great live music (not so quiet but very nice). Highly recommended!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Over the past year it has been our tradition to meet several times per year, during the fall and winter months, at the hotel for traditional afternoon high tea. We have never been disappointed. This time (Sunday 4 Nov) we were surprised with an upgraded offering and new china (appropriately matched by a new price). The afternoon was superb. Lovely and attentive service, excellent quality of food, attention to detail in table setting and decoration. It is always such a treat to spend a few hours, and the environment is simply welcoming, warm and cozy.
We will certainly return. Wonderful work being done at the hotel and the dedication to guest service shows.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel d'Angleterre? Share your experiences!