If you are visiting Bern without a car and with a budget this is where you should stay. (If you do have a car keep reading and we'll tell you what we did with our rental car.)
We are a traveling family with children and this was our first time staying at a hostel and it turned out to be the best place we stayed at in all of Switzerland!
We have 4 main criteria for choosing an accommodation:
1) Location- Backpacker's Bern is right in the middle of town. A few strides away from the clock and walking distance from everything. We rented bikes from the nearby Bern Rollt (free for the first 2 hours) and were able to see most of the old city in 2 hours!
2) Cleanliness- Everything was spotless including all of the shared public spaces.
3) Breakfast- It was impossible to find a hotel that included breakfast in our budget. Backpacker's has a fully loaded kitchen that we used to make the best breakfast we had during our stay in Switzerland. Dining in Switzerland is ridiculously expensive so staying here and preparing most of your own meals is the way to do it!
4) Value- If you are reading this then you probably know that this place has the best rates in town. Don't hesitate because it is a hostel.
Things you should know:
1) You have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the main floor of the hostel. There is a very small elevator that can be used from there.
2) They charge for towels and they are small thin towels. Our advice is to add the cost of the towels into the price of the room and just deal with it.
3) This place is in the middle of town and right above a night club. It can get very noisy! We were on the fourth floor in the back by the fire escape. We slept beautifully (we were also exhausted) but we heard from some college kids that they had a hard time sleeping at night.
4) They make you carry your bedding to your room which is impossible to do in one trip with luggage in tow. You will also have to make and strip down your own bed.
5) The internet service is free but only works in the common room.
6) If you have a car you will have to pay for parking which is incredibly expensive in the immediate area. We crossed the Kirchenfeldbrucke bridge and parked in the pay lot by the Swiss Alpine Museum at 5:00pm. It is 2 hour parking until 7:00pm and then free until 8:00 am. You will have to walk back again the morning to put money in the meter at 8:00am and then again to move the car at 10:00am. This worked well for us because check out is at 10:00am. There are a few spots in front of the hotel that you can use to load and unload the car.
We would stay again at the Backpacker's Hostel. It is very different from staying at a hotel or a Bed and Breakfast, but given the cost of the other options in Bern and the central location of this hostel it is absolutely the best place to stay while in Bern.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our location is unbeatable! Bern Backpackers is the most centrally located hostel in Bern. Big common room with a great communal kitchen, laundry, internet, TV, free tea, free WI-Fi, fussball table etc - all available 24hrsClose to restaurants, bars, clubs museums and theatres. Our hostel is clean, safe, comfortable and well equipped which ensures your stay is a pleasant and enjoyable one. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo, HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Bern Backpackers - Hotel Glocke reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.