“Average - but worth it if you have time spare” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Museum of Fine Arts (Kunstmuseum)

Museum of Fine Arts (Kunstmuseum)
Hodlerstrasse 8-12, Bern 3007, Switzerland
41 31 328 09 44
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 30 Attractions in Bern
Type: Art Museums, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: This large art museum houses the world's largest collection of Paul Klee works and has an extremely impressive selection of 20th-century artists.
Washington, DC
156 attraction reviews
“Average - but worth it if you have time spare”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Art Museum was just ok nothing special. I wished they would let you take photos inside the musuem like they do in Zurich Art Museum. If you have the time or it is a rainy day, may as well visit the museum, if you are short on time, I would pass.

noordwijk
14 attraction reviews
“Chaotic, average museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I paid my entrance fee for the permanent exhibition and asked for an audio guide, there was none. I asked for a leaflet on where to find what, there was none. I looked around and couldn't really see where to start, or if there was a logical order of visit. After asking twice I finally found out that I needed to go through the temporary exhibitions ( pay entrance) to reach the first floor where most of the good stuff is. I had read that there was great artists / masterpieces in the museums And in fact there was ( Munch, van Gogh, Kandisky, Miro, Picasso etc) but i found them so poorly displayed that i hardly recall what the paintings were. There is no English explanation anywhere, not even French but only German. Wherever I go I always enjoy discovering new artists, and here the Swiss artists are exposed in the basement again without any explanation so in fact i am not even sure they were Swiss.. I found the museum quite old looking inside, the paintings not shown to their best. I was very disappointed and would only recommend it for the temporary exhibition which looked more interesting ( at the moment Klee and Itten). I was in and out in less than 1 hr and very disappointed.

Geneva, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
“Well worth seeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Two exhibitions when we went (Dec. 2012)--"itten-klee" and "Meryl's Sparks." Very special and a learning experience. Very informative booklets (multiple languages available) for each room. Take a pleasant break in the nice café, by the way.

France
48 attraction reviews
“Collected Together”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This collection is housed according to themes rather than chronology which makes for interesting companions hanging side by side! We found this a refreshing approach and enjoyed it; others may not! There are some excellent works of art here; you just have to find them!!
Unusually, access to sections of the permanent collection is through a part of the (pay extra) special exhibition area, but don’t worry, just walk in and up the stairs; there will be a member of staff to direct you.
Enjoy your visit!

Visited September 2012
Arnside, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
“We loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

As we had bought a Swiss Saver Pass, we got in free. This is Switzerland's oldest museum with over 3000 paintings and sculptures. The works range from the Middle Ages to Contemporary art. There was a particularly fine Bieler exhibition on when we visited. We had a light lunch in the pleasant cafe and bought presents in the shop. If you enjoy art, this is not to be missed.

Visited October 2011