“Good value business hotel. Unless you are coming for fair, bad location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center

You added RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center to your Saves list
RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Messeplatz 12, Basel CH4058, Switzerland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Basel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good value business hotel. Unless you are coming for fair, bad location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel is big, clean and modern. Front lobby is very sterile and "cold". Rooms are small. Rooms were not ready upon arrival (at 3.45 pm) and we had to "hang around" for another hour which was disappointing in a hotel of this size. Staff was very friendly (both front desk and lounge restaurant on top floor). Sauna/hamam area is small and not quite functional with lockers at the front door and constantly wet floors. Swimming pool would be nice in a hotel of this caliber as would valet parking given that there is a large parking garage across the street....Views from top floor lounge/bar are beautiful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you once again for having chosen our hotel and thank you for taking the time to share your impression of your visit on Tripadvisor.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and allowing us the opportunity to ensure that your next visit will be a totally positive and pleasant one.

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I remain

with kind regards from Switzerland
Petra Emmel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Staff is very friendly. The breakfast variety is quite nice. However the rooms don´t seem to be that clean - maybe because of the old carpet there…. Room amenities are very limited. Hotel infrastructure is outdated. If you are on a business trip and/or won’t stay too long at the hotel, it’s an OK option.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Maggie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay here at the RAMADA PLAZA Basel. We were delighted to hear that the staff made you feel welcome and that you enjoyed our breakfast.

On the other hand we were disappointed to hear that you found our infrastructure outdated. The hotel has a rolling refurbishment plan which has already started. Please accept my apologize for the inconvenience.

Once again thank your for the review and we do hope that we have the opportunity in welcoming you back at the RAMADA PLAZA Basel very soon.

Kind Regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed 3 nights here last week. The room was good size, and very modern. Ate at the SkyLounge since there was nothing open in town on Sunday. Had a great time up there and the service was also excellent. Good options for dinning, even though I foung the main restaurant a little too pricey and with not enough international flavors (it is a german restaurant and yes it is switzerland after all). The cafe on the lobby floor was my lunch/breakfast spot all 3 days. Great service and food again. Lines 2 and 6 of the metro stop in front of the hotel which made it very easy to move around (mobility passes are included with your stay which is a plus). Was able to use this hotel as my hub to explore Basel, St Louis and Weil Am Rein. I would come back and highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest & "Reviewer"

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your recent stay here at the RAMADA PLAZA Basel . We especially appreciate your comments and will consider your remarks concerning the food selection at our restaurant "Filou".
Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Kindest Regards from Switzerland,
General Manager & team
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel was chosen for me by my company. The rooms were typically small (compared to US hotels) but very clean, with no frills (including no coffee maker in the room). the lobby is sparse and non-inviting. I also found the twin beds very hard and uncomfortable with small comforters barely coved me (and I'm a small woman). The highlights include a beautiful, extensive breakfast bar ... be sure to get a rate that includes this, it was amazing! It was a good 15 minute walk to the center of town but public tram was very convenient and stopped in front of the hotel

Room Tip: chose a higher floor to get a good view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you for having chosen our hotel and thank you for taking the time to write a detailed survey on Tripadvisor.

It is with great regret to hear that you considered our single rooms rather small. We will be happy to reserve another room categorie upon your next arrival. For example our executive rooms are bigger in size and equipped with coffee & tea facilities. We also provide longer comforters upon request. Situated in the "Fair Tower" Building the lobby is not only used by the hotel but also for the offices situated in the same building.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay but we will try our utmost to make your next stay even better!

Looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel, I remain

with kind regards from Switzerland,
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights while in Basel for business. The rooms are very modern, very nice but be forewarned that they are small. I felt that there was plenty of room for the amount of time I was spending there and being only myself. I did find the mattress rather hard, therefore the 'good' for sleep quality. The bedding is down, so if you are allergic like myself, request alternative bedding in advance. This was noted in my reservation, however I realized that the bedding was still down upon settling into my room - this error was very quickly remedied with many apologies. The wifi connection in my room was very good (colleagues at a nearby hotel had issues) and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Filou, was very good, great service. The breakfast buffet was good with both hot and cold options, however do not expect American fare (pancakes, waffles). If you go to the Ramada Plaza understanding what to expect, I think you will have a very pleasant stay at a convenient location to the trams.
The convenience of having Bar Rouge at the same location allows for a little fun once business is done! Note - separate outside entrance so cannot access from hotel itself for those who may be concerned by this!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest & "Reviewer"
Thank you very much for your positive review of your stay. It is nice to hear, that you overall appreciate our services and offers! On the other hand I am sorry that you did not found the allergic bedding immediately upon arrival. We will train our staff even harder to avoid such a situation. It would be our pleasure to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future – see you soon again, your RAMADA PLAZA Basel Team
aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights, and I have no hesitation in recommending it. We arrived early and had no problem checking in. Every hotel in Basel provides free transportation tickets, so make the most of them! Tram no. 6 (the stop is outside the hotel) takes you to the old town within minutes-just make sure you are going in the right direction!
We had a lovely standard room, which was big, and had everything you needed-apart from tea/coffee facilities. But we had free bottles of water every day and a small fridge. There is a Lidl supermarket a 5 minute walk away, or take the tram one stop, and you can stock up your fridge. We thought the breakfasts were a bit pricey at 31 Swiss Francs per person, so can't comment on their quality as we didn't breakfast here.
I loved the bathroom! The underfloor heating/lighting and the good shower meant this was a big plus for me! Also, there were always plenty of toiletries left every day.
The choice of channels on t.v .is also very good: Swiss, German, British, French, Italian to name a few.
We used the transport a lot, and even took it up to the St. Louis Grenze and then it was just a 15 minute walk into the the centre of the town-nice day trip into France!
It was also a bonus to be able to use the transport to the airport on our departure-10 minutes on tram number 2 to the trainstation SBB, and from there, bus number 50 takes you to the airport in 15 minutes! What service!
The hotel is modern and the view from the rooms could be nice-but from our room, there was building work going on beside the hotel, which meant you had a view of a mini building site! However, you can just close your curtains/ blinds and there is no noise from the street.
This is a perfect hotel for a holiday in Basel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest & Reviewer

Thank you for your effort writing on Tripadvisor.

It is very important to me to get your opinion, since it will help us to maintain the standard of the hotel and its quality of service. Furthermore we will be able to correct small mistakes immediately.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you again at Basel, I remain

With kind regards & the best wishes for a Happy New Year
RAMADA PLAZA Basel
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Effective, professional, and courteous staff; simple yet elegant interior; central location; breakfast buffet to die for - I have tried a few other hotels nearby but I keep coming back to Ramada.

I stayed here twice a year at most, yet every time I check in, the sweet front desk staff would greet me with "so nice to have you back with us", and it never fails that some sort of little surprise would await me in the room - sometimes a plate of beautifully presented freshly cut fruit, sometimes small bites of Swiss chocolate. They are genuine and make me feel more and more at home, I know I can always count on them for a fantastic experience.

In this most recent trip, I arrived early (10am) and wanted to try my luck to see whether a room is available; the manager apologized (nothing to apologize for, I arrived early) and upgraded me to a suite for the entire week. What a pleasant surprise! Middle of the week, the mirror in my bathroom cracked (temp difference) and I called the front desk. An engineer arrived in 10 minutes, as if he has been standing by. To me, service like this, set Ramada apart from others and I will always remain a loyal customer.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
PEmmel, Manager at RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Let me thank you for taking your time to write a review on Ramada Plaza Basel.

As hoteliers, we strongly believe in the importance of guest feedback and are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your time with us.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards from Switzerland and a Happy New Year!
Petra Emmel, General Manager & Team

Been to RAMADA PLAZA Basel Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!