“Excellent hotel, the extra touches make the difference” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Basel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Munzgasse 12, Basel 4001, Switzerland   |
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Basel
South West London/Surrey
“Excellent hotel, the extra touches make the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was very happy I chose Hotel Basel for my latest visit to the city, you will definitely not be disappointed if you choose to stay here. Rooms are not huge, and prices are expensive, but this is to be expected in Basel. The room was perfectly adequate size for my needs, as it would be for most guests.

It was the little touches that made the difference for me, the lindor chocolates left on the pillow when you arrive, the free mini bar which is restocked every day (still water, sparkling water, coke and one beer), the umbrella in your room, even a short bed time story left on your pillow each day!

Another thing I liked was the Swiss adapter plug which is integrated into the tv panel...and most people will need this, Swiss sockets do not fit the standard European adaptor! If coming from UK, make sure you bring your European adaptor though, you need this to fit the Swiss adaptor in the room.

Excellent flat screen television with countless channels in Swiss, German, French, Italian, English and probably more.

Wifi is provided free in the rooms (reception give you an access code, valid for the duration of your stay), connection was always fast and reliable. You also get a free travel pass for the duration of your stay, all hotels in Basel provide this, and please be aware that you are also covered as soon as you arrive at EuroAirport, take the 50 bus to the city, and a printed copy of your hotel reservation is sufficient for the ticket inspectors, you do not need to buy a ticket.

Location of this hotel is probably the biggest plus, you are 1 minute from Market Square, so you are surrounded by shops and restaurants, and many trams stop in Market Square, so you can get to anywhere else in the city quickly and easily.

I didnt eat dinner in the hotel, there is a ground floor restaurant with a large outside patio, it should be great in the summer. Breakfast is served in the basement in a very characterful room, choice of food is good, everything fresh and nicely presented, staff friendly and efficient.

The tiniest criticism I will make, and it is being picky, is that the bathroom would look a lot nicer if the cheap looking shower curtain would be replaced by a shower screen, it would make a lot of difference.

To conclude, I have stayed in a few Basel hotels now over the last couple of years, Hotel D beats Hotel Basel for being trendy and stylish, of that there is no doubt, but Hotel Basel is the overall winner for me, I will return for sure. Choose this hotel, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear AFCW
Wow! I don't know what to say!
This sounds like a professionel travel report. We are absolutly overwhelmed!
Thank you soooo much! This will help us and other guests a lot.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you soon again.
Your Hotel Basel Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

A wonderful hotel right in the heart of Basel. Stayed here for business and with it a block off of the Marktplatz it was convenient to catch a tram to out client meeting. Within short walking distance to some nice restaurants and also has nice restaurants and a bar on site. My room was decent sized, clean and stylish, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Torgeron
Thank you very much for your frindly words. We do appreciate that very much!
Looking forward to you next stay!
Burford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have stayed on a number of occasions in the Hotel Basel as a business traveller. I have stayed in many other hotels in the area and I have to say Hotel Basel is the best. The rooms are delightful, spotlessly clean and comfortable. The staff are without exception excellent and truly embody the principles of 'customer service'.

Each time I arrive I am met with a warm welcome and a small hand written card in my room to welcome me. The venue is ideal for small business meetings and the food served in the restaurant is delicious.

All of this in a pretty atmospheric area of beautiful Basel - what more could you ask for? In fact all my people in my own company are so disappointed if they are booked in elsewhere when they come to Basel - they only want to stay at the Hotel Basel! I totally understand why!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Rosiechck
Thank you sooo much for your friendly words.
We do very much appreciate that you took the time to rate us!
Rosiechck, we are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your people soon again.
Onchan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed here just after new year 2013. We emailed the hotel with a number of queries before we arrived and all were answered promptly and courteously. When we arrived, the personal reception was equally good. Really friendly staff. Rooms are a decent size and the location in the old town is perfect.

We went to a show and arrived back in the hotel at 11pm. We wanted to eat and even though they were busy, we were welcomed and served promptly. The food was delicious.

One of the best city hotels we've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
HotelBasel, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Hotel Basel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear JimT
thank you so much for your frindly comment.
We do appreciate that very much!
Challex, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Top service, lovely, clean room and great location. We stayed two days but just one night to visit the zoo and Fondation Beyeler, with our three kids (7, 4, 2 yrs). We were impressed from start to finish. Many little touches that thrilled the kids - special "Penguin' wash cloths and towels, activity book, finger puppets and a kids menu that actually included a vegetable ! Being in a pedestrian area, it was quiet and we could let the kids meander around. At Marketplatz (one block away), we got direct trams to the Fondation and Zoo --could not have been easier. The breakfast was also delightful with lots of fresh fruit, wide selection of bread and cheeses.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Jane C
We appreciate very much that you took your time and gave us such a frindly comment!
Thanks
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Yes the Hotel Basel is expensive...like everything else in Switzerland! That said we had a great stay. Room was clean and modern. Staff is friendly and helpful. Location cannot be beat for a tourist in Basel, one block from the Marketplatz/Rathaus and the terrific tram system. Easy walking distance to the Muenster, riverfront, and Basserplatz. I would reccommend the Hotel Basel as an excellent choice and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JimnArizona
Thank you so much for your frindly comment.
We appreciate that very much!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Basel and could not have been happier! I needed to extend at that last minute and they took fantastic care of me! The property is VERY clean and comfortable. Housekeeping is right on it and tremendously efficient and thorough. The General manager, Esther is fantastic and sets the bar high for all of her staff. The in-house "Brasserie" is great! The food and wine are great and I am returning in a few weeks for more business and will certainly book my stay with Hotel Basel again. Also the property is very centrally located and within walking distance to tons of restaurants, bars, shopping, trains and trolleys. Stay and enjoy!

Thanks again Esther, see you in a few weeks!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Basel? Share your experiences!