“Beautiful hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Victoria

You added Hotel Victoria to your Saves list
Hotel Victoria
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Centralbahnplatz 3-4, Basel 4002, Switzerland (Formerly TOP Hotel Victoria) (St. Alban)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Basel
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Lovely hotel right near the railway station. Breakfast excellent. It was really hot and the air conditioning wasn't was not adequate for the size of the room. The room was beautiful and clean, overlooking the station, work is going on outside the hotel so rather noisy, but we were told this, excellent location for exploring Basel

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this pathetic hotel for 2 nights in June. We were given a Standard Rm. It had 1-Pillow, 1-Towel and 1-Glass. When I asked for more they just laughed! There was a portable a/c that looked like R2D2 that stuck out into the room and you could not close your drapes for privacy! The room was on the 1st floor. When we expressed our disappointment we were told "too bad, the $215.00 CHF is non-refundable" I wanted to walk across the street and sleep in the train station! I will never, ever stay in any WORLD HOTELS! Do your self a favor and avoid this chain!!!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money! Stay some place else!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recommended it because its location, just across the train station. Rooms are good and service in front desk was very kind. I recommend asking for a room in the back of the building away from the noise of the train station and streets. There's a tram station just in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a high level and away from the noise in the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Right across from station and trams into town centre.
It was very hot when we stayed but there was aircon in our room, (contrary to what some other guests have reported- maybe it varies by room). I wouldn't say it was terribly effective but then it was extremely hot outside.

My tablet remembered the wi-fi log-in from my previous visit a few days before so had no problem there.

We didn't take the breakfast but there are plenty of options in the station, one of which has a serving window outside so you can grab a quick coffee there.

Room Tip: We had a room on the station side on first visit; and the opposite side on the second. Both were fin...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I choose the hotel because of the location... Just accross the road from the train station.
I reserved a Junior Suite fir 3 people and was given a room on the "residence" wing.
That part of the building is in the back if the hitel so you wint have priblems with the noise of the trams.
The room 163 was just about big enough for 3 as when the sofa bed is open you dint have much room to curculate.
The shower was good and theres a small balcony with table and chairs.
The free internet was good but I had the same lroblem as everybody else... Username/password all in caps and disconnects if the screen goes black in tablets/phones.
The main problem is the air con. Its a huge unit in the room that makes a huge noise but it just not strong enough to chill the room....the unit was set at 16 degrees and stayed on all day/night and the room was still a sauna (it was about 36 degrees outside)
I only spent 2 nights there and I couldnt wait to leave (the hotel.... Basel is great)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Germany/US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here by myself for two nights last weekend. As Steve_Blag mentions in his review, they have no aircon and the unit next to the bed sounds like an asthmatic lurching around trying to find a cigarette. Plus, the unit seems to have just an on and off function....if there were instructions for further settings the meanings were extremely obscure. I came back at 11pm the second night and it simply wouldn't work. So, I called down and the guy on duty came up five minutes later, breezily, with a bucket! He siphons off a bunch of water from the unit and on it comes again. Really, in Switzerland?! Guys, get some aircon! The second beef I have with the hotel comes with the wifi.....it is free, but they don't tell you you have to sign up afresh whenever you shut down your device. And they don't tell you that ALL the letters for both the ID and the PASSWORD are in CAPS. Since many of us travel nowadays with only tablets or smartphones, we don't have a caps lock button. Which means that every time I went from breakfast (expensive but excellent) back to my room I had to go through the same mind-numbing routine. Note to hotel: clean this up. Last note: the staff is good and professional, there just don't seem to be enough of them (often just one). Other than that, the hotel is all you'd expect.....very clean, comfortable, very adequate bathrooms and beds, and I suspect if they listen a little they can easily upgrade the two areas I mention here....if I go back to Basel I'd call them and ask.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

As far as locations go, you can't beat this - it's right outside the main station and tram stops, and in full view if you get the bus from the airport.
Welcome was great - very friendly and overall the hotel was ok.
Downsides: no aircon but for a large portable unit right by the bedside, meaning it was very loud indeed, and not very effective. I needed earplugs to sleep.
Housekeeping - overall ok, but as I washed my face, i noticed that the nail file on the tray in front of me had clearly been used. No disaster, but made me wonder what other shortcuts had been taken.
Lights above shower were naked bulbs and not suitable for use in a damp area (raised this on checkout) - i.e. not IP-65 lights. I'm not allowed to use them in my house, so certainly not allowed in a hotel. Technical, I know, but potentially hazardous.

For one night though, it was fine, but I wouldn't rush to return unless it were colder and not requiring ventilation.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Victoria? Share your experiences!