“Basic amenities but great staff and excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20%
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Basel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Paris, France
“Basic amenities but great staff and excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2010

Overall I was very satisfied with my three-night-stay.

I chose this hotel for its competitive price (considering Swiss expensive fares) and convenient location close to Basel central station. Booked my stay on Accor Hotels own website - booking process short and easy, single room at an unbeatable weekend rate of 94CHF/night. The weekday fare was more expensive: 129CHF/night. Breakfast was optional and cost additional 15CHF.

Check-in was quick and I felt welcome - main asset of this hotel is the friendliness of the staff. During my entire stay every staff member was welcoming and helpful, though unobstrusive.
I was given a room on the top floor (5th floor). The room was surprisingly large and even had a balcony. It offered the usual Ibis basic amenities: limited closet with a few coat hangers, small desk with a chair, comfortable bed. The good surprise was definitely the flat screen TV, which I am not used to in Ibis hotels! The room also featured individual air-conditioning.
Bathroom is small but shower and WC were spotlessly clean. On the downside I am missing some paper tissues.

Breakfast buffet is well-presented and tasty. Great choice of breads - otherwise usual offering of cold cuts, cheese (a special mention to the excellent Gruyère!), yoghurts, muesli, cereals. On the downside there were no warm food such as scrambled eggs and no morning newspapers in the breakfast room.

One Internet computer is available in the lobby - unfortunately it is not free of charge and costs a rather hefty 0.10CHF/min.

All in all I can recommend this hotel for its excellent value for money, in particular when considering the Swiss expensive hotel fares.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Arriving in Basel, (if I remember right) they have a ring around the center, which is a big plus when driving.
When finding the Ibis hotel, I found nowhere to park except just outside the door. Since others did it too I suppose it was OK.
The female receptionists (one originally from spain, and the other I don't know) were service-minded, helpful, nice, had a positive mind, and seemed to fluently speak several languages (including English). They showed great flow in their work.
Parking might be a problem. I was told there were two parking places/squares left in their small garage. I managed to drive there pretty fast, and inside I took the last parking place, probably to the disappointment to the driver who came 5 seconds after me. If I remember correctly, I had to pay for the parking (ask the receptionists). I'm glad I didn't have to try to find a public parking place.
The hotel otherwise was OK. The trams (?) could be heard, but I slept good. In the room, there was several places to charge my phone, etc.. Worked fine.
New receptionists when checking out. She/They was helpful too (although not quite like the other two). There was a public computer with Internet that I used.
I walked around in the city for some hours.
Back at the hotel, I visited the toilet and the down to my car in the garage. When going back, yesterday's receptionists arrived, and greated me in a positive minded way. :)
I brought my parking ticket to the receptionists to have it treated (I don't know the English word). Don't remember if I had to pay anything. When leaving definitely (for this time), the receptionists of yesterday (who apparantly was just about to start their shift) shouted a warm and nicely bye ("have a nice day", etc). :)

Yes, I liked the receptionists. I do get glad when they are positively minded, helpful, and even humorous. To be honest, what I remember most from Basel is the great hotel staff.
(And I know, next time might be other staff, etc. But this time, it's 5 points out of 5.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Spent there 3 nights during the Art Basel fair. The hotel is not far from the Messeplatz where the fair takes place (10min by tram). In general a good choice, considering the difficulty of finding a room during the Art Basel week and good value considering how expensive Basel is during this period.
The hotel in new, nicely decorated, with friendly staff and a nice atmosphere. The room was quite big and comfortable. The only downside was the hard mattress and the fact that they only provided one towel per person.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

At most of İbis hotels, what you expect ( good value, cleanliness, closeness to central places) is what you get...The newly-opened Basel hotel is also one of them...We really enjoyed it & highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

When we arrived at approx 16:00 local time, there was a bit of a queue to check in, however we had expected this as we travelled for Fasnacht and the hotel was fully booked.
Check in was a little slow, but staff were helpful and friendly.
We were allocated a top floor room, overlooking the main road and tramline; however the windows were very good at keeping noise out, so we had no problems sleeping.

Our room was very spacious, with a good size bathroom, and 2 open closets, it was very clean and well presented, house keeping was good, considering we were dragging lots of confetti back through the hotel each day!
Plug sockets were an odd size and our adapters didn’t fit, but the staff have a supply of adapters to loan out.
We also requested extra pillows for our room, which were delivered promptly.

We didn’t try the food, however we did buy a few drinks at the bar, and yes it was expensive, but not outrageously so, considering Switzerland is very expensive anyway, and hotel prices are in my experience always slightly higher.

Internet access was available on a pay as you go basis in the foyer.

I would recommend this hotel to others, as good value for money in a good location!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Swindon - England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

I stayed at the Ibis hotel for 1 night only. I visited basle to watch football at the Basle Stadium v fulham in the europa league. The hotel is close to the railway station. Simply from the front of the main station turn left, walk for 400 yards and turn left and go over the bridge. The hotel is then on your left hand side. It will take you 5-10 minutes stroll to get there. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was spotless and very clean. It had everything I needed for a 1 night stay. I was staying in Basle for a 2nd night and regret not booking this hotel for 2 nights. I would defeiantely recommend this hotel if your're staying in Basle. The bus from the airport drops you right outside the main station and it only takes 5 to 10 minuters stroll to get to the hotel. It is ideal place if your're visiting Basle where some of the hotels can be expensive. I was in Basle for 2 days it is a city well worth visiting. the stadium is on 20 minutes away on the Tram from the main station.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights in December, with our main visit to Basel being for the christmas market.

Location : Excellent. The number 50 bus is free from the airport and drops you off outside hte main railway station ( Bahnhoff SBB). You walk back on yourself past the station, over a bridge and you are there. Its literally 5-10 mins. Its only a 10 min walk then into the city centre, and the number 2 and 16 trams stop right outside the hotel. There is a small corner shop and a small supermarket nearby. Location was excellent.

Rooms : We had a lovely room on the 5th floor facing the main road. To our amazement we also had a balcony!! The rooms were lovely, all brand new, spotlessly clean. There is an open wardrobe, some shelving, flat screen tv and a decent bathroom. There is no bath but a large shower which always had hot water. The TV had loads of channels, though only about 3 were in English. Note that the electrical plugs while European in plug style, are not round, and round converters will not fit. We had to loan one from the reception desk. At night the area outside was quiet and there was little noise. Only downside to the room was that the bed was very hard, and we only had one pillow each with no extra in the room. Though we did have an extra duvet. The room had decent heating and air conditioning controls.

Facilities : IBIS hotels are plain and simple and this was no exception. The reception desk was very welcoming. There is a small bar which is actually excellent value for money and much cheaper than drinking out in the town! A beer and a glass of wine was 7 Francs. In town, a beer alone would cost 7 Francs. They also do simple snacks but they are nothing special. We didnt bother with breakfast, though this was 15 Francs if you did opt for it. There are some seats and sofas within the reception area and a PC with internet. Overall it was all we needed.

Basel : 3 nights was enough in Basel. There isnt much to do there unless you like walking around museums. We visited Munster Cathedral which was really nice, we crossed the Rhine on the boats, went into France and Germany, and visited the xmas market, but with the town being so small, you can do it all in a day or two. The main language spoken is German (Swiss German) but most people speak English and the people there were friendly.

Basel itself it stupidly expensive. A coke will cost around £4, a beer £5, as for restaurants, very expensive, and surprisingly, not that many around the town unless you really hunt high and low. For a steak dinner you could expect to pay £32 for the steak, around £30 for a bottle of wine, and £10 to £15 for a desert. We opted to eat in a place called Mr Wong's for 2 nights, which was a chinese place, where they cook the food infront of you. A main course was 15 francs (around £10), and the place was very busy, no doubt because it was cheap. The food was actually ok. The Co-Op's had restaurants, where you could get a meal with drink for around 15 Francs.

Transport : Great! You get a travel pass from the hotel, which allows you to use the busses and trams for free. You can use the number 50 bus to and from the airport for free. Transport was excellent and very safe, we used it all the time.

Safety : Generally the town felt safe, though late at night, and particularly on week days and Sundays the town gets very quiet after 9pm, with groups of lads walking around. While they seem to pose no threat, we did feel a little nervous sometimes walking past them on quiet streets. In addition, the town is absolutely covered by grafitti, it is everywhere, and really spoils the place and gives areas a more threatening feel about it. We did get approached on occasion by the odd homeless person asking for money.

Overall - the IBIS was excellent, though the beds could do with being just a bit softer and not so hard but I would stay there again. As for Basel, I wouldnt return, but if you are using it as a starting point for expoloring other locations, such as France, Germany, Itlay etc. then Basel with its location and transport links is excellent.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Ibis Basel Bahnhof? Share your experiences!