“Cosmopolitan but not touristy” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #53 of 707 Restaurants in Perugia
Cuisines: Italian, Café, Winery, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Description: Anything, from breakfast, brunch till aperitivo and after dinner in a homey and relaxed enviroment. With an international clientele and a unique combination of traditional italian products and contaminations from around the world, alphaville is definitely the most cosmopolitan place in town BREAKFAST-BRUNCH -- traditional italian breakfast as well bagles and english style breakfast. LUNCH -- a light lunch with our large assortment of vegeterian or classic salami panini, as well as special fish recipes. TEA TIME -- large assortment of teas and italian caffetteria, torte and american bakery. APERITIVO -- AFTER DINNER -- good selection of cocktails, local wines and craft beers to enjoy along with our convenient taglieri at the aperitive time, concerts and other events from 2200.
Perugia, Italy
“Cosmopolitan but not touristy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I've never left a review before, but I thought this place was unique. I'll give the summary first with details below.

A very chill vibe. Alphaville is spacious with couches and chairs (if you've been to Italy, you already know how strange that is), with functioning wifi.

It is a two or three minute walk from the middle of the historic center, and this puts it just outside the tourists' beaten path.

The coffee is consistent. There's always a selection of good, cheap slices of pie, as well as microbrew beers.

The bathroom is spacious, functioning, clean, and with handsoap and hand towels (another rarity for Italy).

I've been there a few times and I'll definitely go back. There is a young, Italian couple who seem to always be working there. I assume they are the owners. They seem nice, quiet.

As for the details, it is about 100m from Palazzo Gallenga where the University for Foreigners is. So, the atmosphere seems to be a mix of local Italians and what seem to be (graduate?) university students mostly from other EU countries. So, the average age seems to run about 25-35. However, these are people living in Italy, so I wouldn't call them tourists. There are also the locals from the neighborhood. So, it is very cosmopolitan without being touristy.

The Italians here will argue politics just like in other cafès. However, here they will probably be closer to 35 instead of 65. I mentioned already that it is spacious. Most Italian cafès are made for people to drink their espressos while standing and leave immediately after, (therefore very little seating). This place is the opposite....very spacious with couches and chairs. As for the Wifi, I've been to lots of cafès with signs claiming to have it, but this is one of my few experiences where they actually did.

Now, as for the bathroom, this may not seem like a big deal, but again, if you've lived in or travelled through Italy, you know that most cafès' bathrooms are either extremely dirty, or don't have tp and/or handsoap, or the toilet doesn't flush, etc. This may not seem like a big deal....until you have to use the bathroom. Not feeling like you're going to catch hepatitis is a major difference maker at this place.

Overall, a very good experience.

• Visited January 2014

Sydney, Australia
“A Door to the Past”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have been to Perugia several times, but I could never find a place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine and some good music. I finally have found Alphaville: a nice cafè close to the etruscan arch and the foreign university of Perugia. Not only is it in a great location but it also has tasty breakfasts with a huge variety of coffee to suit everyone. In addition, the vintage style decor takes you 30-40 years back and that was what captured my attention the first time that I passed by it.
All in all, it's definitely an ideal place to spend some free time.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere; ideal for students and anyone looking for a quiet place to meet up or spend a few hours of the day...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to Alphaville for a few months now, because I needed a place which was conducive to studying. It's just a few mins walk from the University per Stranieri (University for Foreigners) and the city centre and turned out to be the ideal spot.

The atmosphere is quiet and inviting and it's very spacious. It has a quaint, rustic feel about it, and, though I usually tend to auto-implant earphones and put on my own music when I go somewhere, from day one, I never needed to do this here, as the music was just... again, conducive to whatever I was doing - *and* not played at a ridiculous volume, so conversation was always possible!

As for food and drink; in a word, brilliant. There's a varied menu with both hot and cold snacks/breakfasts available.

I'm currently studying Italian in Perugia and so have found Alphaville ★invaluable★ for meeting and chatting to native Italians and Italian speakers. That said, the very personable and helpful staff speak English (a "problem" for me, as it's too easy for me to just switch to English rather than struggle to chat in Italian as I should do!), so it's no problem whatsoever if you don't speak Italian.

As the bar is so spacious, it's also ideal for those who wish to host events, be they art displays or small, intimate literature readings.

So, basically, if you're looking for a cafe bar which isn't far from the city centre or the University for Foreigners, which serves great food/drinks, has a more personal/intimate feel - and where you can find the opportunity to meet people from various countries - AND practice your Italian (if you're not too lazy!! ;-)), you know where to go...!!

• Visited May 2013
Manchester
“A gorgeous find with a great relaxing atmosphere & tasty food/drink”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had been sightseeing and walking all day and the thought flickered though my.mind.... I would love to come across a cute boho funky sort of cafe right now for a pausa and 3 or 4 steps later i was in front of Alphaville :) friendly helpful staff. Tasty apple & forest fruits juice and a delicious pear, walnut and gorgonzola - whilst sitting in a vintage 70's comfy chair listening to fab music and soaking up the atmosphere. I loved it here. Grazie

• Visited June 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Feels like home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a great place that had just opened a month ago. The moment I stepped into the coffee shop I was welcomed by a beautiful collection of art designs and paintings as well as a slightly contemporary furniture design. The coffee and cakes are very regular in taste (so far), but the fact that the design concentrates on making it feel like home is just what I needed. They also offer free high speed Wi-Fi (quite rare in Perugia) and that was the last piece of the puzzle for me. I really felt at home and welcomed. Apparently they have various classes coming up as well as aperitivo days in English (so far). More to come soon! The owners are a wonderful couple who are working really hard to keep the place in great shape. Really appreciate it! The location is right next to the University of Foreigners (Universita di Stragneri) which marks a fantastic place for students who want to study outside their apartments. The person who thought of this investment and location is a genius.

• Visited May 2013