“Decent hotel with very good restaurant...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ruggero D'Andreotto 19, 06100 Perugia, Italy   |
Ranked #17 of 68 Hotels in Perugia
London, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel with very good restaurant...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

If you have a reason to stay in this area of Perugia this hotel works. The rooms (as the name strongly hints) are themed - jazz or wine. Not sure I was sold on the theming bit but the room itself was fine. Decent space, clean and comfortable. Odd closet with curtains instead of doors but for one night, who cares? The front desk people were efficient and welcoming and had a very good dinner at the hotel restaurant.

Don't normally like to eat in hotel restaurants but was tired and just off long flight so gave it a shot. Very pleasantly surprised. Had a well prepared and abundant dinner of pasta with fresh porcini mushrooms and some lovely lamb chops with delicious pan fried greens all washed down with good local wine and made it to suitably chocolaty decadent dessert. The maitre d' was extremely helpful and service faultless. Breakfast next morning was more than adequate. I was more busy looking at the jazz theme going around the room than anything else.

Again, not a place I would make a detour for but certainly would recommend to anyone that has a need for place in the neck of the Perugia woods.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Constanta, Constanta, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Mamma miaa!!:))wonderful hotel.i love it.rooms are great.it s the best choice to choose this hotel if you are going in perugia...near the old center...u can walk or u can take the minimetro...5 minutes till the station
People in the hotel very nice and helpful.
Every room has something nice....jacuzzi or massage chair or steper etc
You can listen jazz music all the time using the cd player fixed on the wall
Down in reception you find a shop with pasta, wine, chocolate and souvenirs.
If u have a car...near perugia is Assisi...great place.
I loved this trip

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2015 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel four times, each one as pleasant as the other one. On my last staying I had a slight problem which was solved promptly and efficiently by one of their staff's member, Nicola....
Needless to say that this hotel honors its name as honest, efficient, clean and respectable....Thanks again to them and surely will be back as many times as I go back to Perugia....

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, January 8, 2015
Dear ms Isolina,
thank you very much for your review. It has been a pleasure to help you with the issue.
We look forward to meeting you next year!
Happy 2015 to you and your family!
Caracas, Venezuela
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

I really can not recomend this place. There is simply nothing good about it. Maybe the Jazz theme is cool.. but since you pay to stay and feel confortable and non of those things happen, the jazz part won't make a difference.

Consider other options.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, December 20, 2014
Dear Linda,
I am reading your review with a bit of disappointment. I really don't understand what could have been bad during the stay.
Our Restaurant is Convivium Slow Food and uses premium quality products. What do you mean for terrible food?
I don't understand if you like the theme, then how could be the rooms possibly be awful?
I am at your disposal for further information about your stay.
We do appreciate the disapprovals, mostly when they are productive, in order to improve our services and hospitality.
Best regards.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We got to the Gio Jazz Hotel on a recommendation from a lady at a winery we visited in Montefalco. Although it's not in the historic center, which is a plus if you're driving (good parking area) the mini-metro station is walking distance from the hotel. Breakfast is very good, friendly and helpful staff, good size room with free wi-fi. On the negative side: tub with one of those "telephone" showers, no curtain or glass partition, so the entire bathroom gets wet if you're not careful. We had a first floor room, facing the front, so we had to keep the window shut because of noise outside, guests talking and laughing, cars pulling up, etc.

Room Tip: Higher floors, not facing the front, less noise from outside.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Hotel Gio is a good option if you're looking to stay in Perugia, especially if you rented a car. The wine, jazz & chocolate theme adds a sense of uniqueness to the place.

Good Points:

+ Convenience: It's surprisingly easy to reach city centre - you're about 5 minutes walk from the MiniMetro station that takes you right into the centre (~5 mins) and lets you avoid the long, sweaty hike up the hill
+ The massage chair: included with the room, this made it very challenging to leave anywhere on time..
+ The character: the wine, chocolate and especially jazz theme really prevails throughout the hotel - our room even came with a small music system loaded with a Jazz CD, which added a nice romantic touch to the place
+ Breakfast: a good quality breakfast with plenty of choice
+ The rooftop swimming pool: came in very useful on hot days far away from the sea
+ Parking: plenty of free car spaces (can be a problem in central Perugia!)

Less good points:

- Wifi signal was very weak in our room and kept disappearing
- There isn't much of interest in the immediate proximity of the hotel
- Room views in all directions are fairly plain
- Inconsistency: some areas of hotel, like the basement level, are very nicely styled in the prevailing jazz/wine theme, while others appear fairly plain and a bit '80s'
- Walls between hotel rooms are fairly thin..

As you can see, the goods outweigh the bads by some distance, so if you're looking for a solid base to enjoy your Umbria experience from, I would recommend Hotel Gio as a strong option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I start with what’s good:

The room was excellent; very spacious and comfortable. Good bed, safe, fridge, long desk, table, chairs and massage chair as a nice bonus. Also the bathroom was roomy with both shower and bath tub(!) We stayed on the fourth floor so we had a balcony. I think it was just the first and fourth who had that, which of course is nice.

The breakfast was super! I read some reviews where people complained about the breakfast, and I really can’t understand how you cannot find something that suits you on those tables. They even had a gluten free table. There were bread, many different pastries, yoghurt, good coffee, cereals, ham, cheese and the best of all: a lot of fresh fruits! Ok, they don’t have anything warm, but I can live with that even if a boiled egg would have been nice.

I liked that they had a gym. It is tucked away far down in a corner in a basement. It’s of quite good size for being a hotel gym, but it’s a shame it’s so under prioritized. It has got two treadmills, both of them needed to be changed, since they we really noisy and bouncy and old. One step machine (never use them) and two all right bikes. One very dirty yoga mat a one pair of 2 kg weights. I really think they could upgrade that. A pilates ball, some more weights or rubber bands maybe?

I don’t know what to say about the location. I think it depends on what you’re in Perugia for. If you, like us, want to you Perugia as a base and use the train a lot, I think it’s quite ok. It takes about 15 minutes to go from train station to the hotel (up hills from the station). If you want to be in the middle of Perugia, it is not a very good location. It’s down the hill from the city, a steep hill. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the main square and it’s a quite tough walk. If I were in Perugia just a couple of days to explore the city, I’d stay in a more central place.

I’m a bit disappointed in the service at the hotel. Not very engaged or helpful staff at all (with the exception of the very hardworking, and nice breakfast staff). When we checked in, we pretty much just had our keys handed to us. It’s great with a fast check-in, but there were no other people around, so I think it would have been nice with just a few words about where the breakfast is eaten and when, where the pool and gym is etc. One day we did not get any new towels at all after cleaning so I asked in the reception if we could have some so we could take a shower. There were two people in the reception and neither of them seemed to understand what I was asking for, or they just didn’t care. “Can we have some towels because we never got any new ones today”. “No that is not possible”, was just the answer. It wasn’t like I asked for more towels! Just towels. It’s really strange if that’s something that can’t be arranged even after cleaning is done, I’d say. Really bad costumer care that made me really irritated.

So to sum up; good rooms, good breakfast. Location a bit off. The staff needs to learn how to smile a bit.

Room Tip: Floor 1 and 4 has balconies.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Egus,

thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the services.
Thank you for your suggestions for the gym: it is very important for us to listen to our guests in order to improve even more our services.
On the other hand, I really don’t understand your comment on the reception staff. If you read all the comments before yours, Staff is always indicated as helpful and friendly.
Tourist information is always given to our guests, we have maps and other things, and the reception staff is always ready to help. Talking about the towels, I think that there may have been a misunderstanding. We always try to meet our guests needs, including additional towels.
So, I am at your disposal to discuss further about these issues, and I wish you a pleasant day.

Been to Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area? Share your experiences!