“Ok theme, disgusting food, terrible taste, aweful rooms. ” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Ruggero D'Andreotto 19, 06100 Perugia, Italy   |
Ranked #23 of 69 Hotels in Perugia
Caracas, Venezuela
“Ok theme, disgusting food, terrible taste, aweful rooms. ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I really can not recomend this place. There is simply nothing good about it. Maybe the Jazz theme is cool.. but since you pay to stay and feel confortable and non of those things happen, the jazz part won't make a difference.

Consider other options.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Linda,
I am reading your review with a bit of disappointment. I really don't understand what could have been bad during the stay.
Our Restaurant is Convivium Slow Food and uses premium quality products. What do you mean for terrible food?
I don't understand if you like the theme, then how could be the rooms possibly be awful?
I am at your disposal for further information about your stay.
We do appreciate the disapprovals, mostly when they are productive, in order to improve our services and hospitality.
Best regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I recently stayed at this hostel and forgot my rings in my rooms. Called the hotel and instead of helping on this situation, they accused me of not telling the truth. This is not the first time I stayed but this is the first time the don't help on this situation and instead accused me of not being sure of what I was saying. Very low class they showed on this

• Stayed November 2014
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2014

We got to the Gio Jazz Hotel on a recommendation from a lady at a winery we visited in Montefalco. Although it's not in the historic center, which is a plus if you're driving (good parking area) the mini-metro station is walking distance from the hotel. Breakfast is very good, friendly and helpful staff, good size room with free wi-fi. On the negative side: tub with one of those "telephone" showers, no curtain or glass partition, so the entire bathroom gets wet if you're not careful. We had a first floor room, facing the front, so we had to keep the window shut because of noise outside, guests talking and laughing, cars pulling up, etc.

Room Tip: Higher floors, not facing the front, less noise from outside.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Hotel Gio is a good option if you're looking to stay in Perugia, especially if you rented a car. The wine, jazz & chocolate theme adds a sense of uniqueness to the place.

Good Points:

+ Convenience: It's surprisingly easy to reach city centre - you're about 5 minutes walk from the MiniMetro station that takes you right into the centre (~5 mins) and lets you avoid the long, sweaty hike up the hill
+ The massage chair: included with the room, this made it very challenging to leave anywhere on time..
+ The character: the wine, chocolate and especially jazz theme really prevails throughout the hotel - our room even came with a small music system loaded with a Jazz CD, which added a nice romantic touch to the place
+ Breakfast: a good quality breakfast with plenty of choice
+ The rooftop swimming pool: came in very useful on hot days far away from the sea
+ Parking: plenty of free car spaces (can be a problem in central Perugia!)

Less good points:

- Wifi signal was very weak in our room and kept disappearing
- There isn't much of interest in the immediate proximity of the hotel
- Room views in all directions are fairly plain
- Inconsistency: some areas of hotel, like the basement level, are very nicely styled in the prevailing jazz/wine theme, while others appear fairly plain and a bit '80s'
- Walls between hotel rooms are fairly thin..

As you can see, the goods outweigh the bads by some distance, so if you're looking for a solid base to enjoy your Umbria experience from, I would recommend Hotel Gio as a strong option.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

I start with what’s good:

The room was excellent; very spacious and comfortable. Good bed, safe, fridge, long desk, table, chairs and massage chair as a nice bonus. Also the bathroom was roomy with both shower and bath tub(!) We stayed on the fourth floor so we had a balcony. I think it was just the first and fourth who had that, which of course is nice.

The breakfast was super! I read some reviews where people complained about the breakfast, and I really can’t understand how you cannot find something that suits you on those tables. They even had a gluten free table. There were bread, many different pastries, yoghurt, good coffee, cereals, ham, cheese and the best of all: a lot of fresh fruits! Ok, they don’t have anything warm, but I can live with that even if a boiled egg would have been nice.

I liked that they had a gym. It is tucked away far down in a corner in a basement. It’s of quite good size for being a hotel gym, but it’s a shame it’s so under prioritized. It has got two treadmills, both of them needed to be changed, since they we really noisy and bouncy and old. One step machine (never use them) and two all right bikes. One very dirty yoga mat a one pair of 2 kg weights. I really think they could upgrade that. A pilates ball, some more weights or rubber bands maybe?

I don’t know what to say about the location. I think it depends on what you’re in Perugia for. If you, like us, want to you Perugia as a base and use the train a lot, I think it’s quite ok. It takes about 15 minutes to go from train station to the hotel (up hills from the station). If you want to be in the middle of Perugia, it is not a very good location. It’s down the hill from the city, a steep hill. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the main square and it’s a quite tough walk. If I were in Perugia just a couple of days to explore the city, I’d stay in a more central place.

I’m a bit disappointed in the service at the hotel. Not very engaged or helpful staff at all (with the exception of the very hardworking, and nice breakfast staff). When we checked in, we pretty much just had our keys handed to us. It’s great with a fast check-in, but there were no other people around, so I think it would have been nice with just a few words about where the breakfast is eaten and when, where the pool and gym is etc. One day we did not get any new towels at all after cleaning so I asked in the reception if we could have some so we could take a shower. There were two people in the reception and neither of them seemed to understand what I was asking for, or they just didn’t care. “Can we have some towels because we never got any new ones today”. “No that is not possible”, was just the answer. It wasn’t like I asked for more towels! Just towels. It’s really strange if that’s something that can’t be arranged even after cleaning is done, I’d say. Really bad costumer care that made me really irritated.

So to sum up; good rooms, good breakfast. Location a bit off. The staff needs to learn how to smile a bit.

Room Tip: Floor 1 and 4 has balconies.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear Egus,

thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and the services.
Thank you for your suggestions for the gym: it is very important for us to listen to our guests in order to improve even more our services.
On the other hand, I really don’t understand your comment on the reception staff. If you read all the comments before yours, Staff is always indicated as helpful and friendly.
Tourist information is always given to our guests, we have maps and other things, and the reception staff is always ready to help. Talking about the towels, I think that there may have been a misunderstanding. We always try to meet our guests needs, including additional towels.
So, I am at your disposal to discuss further about these issues, and I wish you a pleasant day.
Acton. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

A great place to stay for the music and jazz lover. Several amazing themes surround the hotel and great photo's of musicians past. Great New Orleans Jazz theme in the main restaurant and each floor has a separate music theme. Love the floor piano. Its almost a museum with old phonograph decorating the main lobby along with several old time piano's.

Wonderful hosts and great breakfast in a beautiful wine town. Great stay.

Room Tip: Any room is a good one. The pool is on the roof of the building and has a wonderful view of the sun...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
We're glad you enjoyed your stay.
See you soon!
Lisbon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Very nice Hotel with comfortable rooms. I had even a free massage chair in my room. The breakfast was so-so and the swimming pool was more close to a fish tank due to it's size. There was always Jazz music playing everywhere thru the speakers and it can be a little bit annoying. On the plus side good free wi-fi and they have a free shuttle to center Perugia. Going back to Perugia I'll probably stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
ServizioClientiApice, Direttore at Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Dear Jorge,
thank you very much for your review. It was a pleasure hearing that your stay was good and that you'll stay again at Hotel Giò if you ever come to Perugia again.
The breakfast is in line with the standards of 4 star hotels in Italy, if not with something more, like the Gluten Free corner, always available during the year, not only on request. On the buffet breakfast you can find fresh jogurt, biscuits, hand made cakes, bread, butter and cheese, cold cuts, marmelade and chocolate cream (Nutella), eggs on tequest, cereals and fresh milk, fresh and siroup fruit.
The pool offers a fresh moment of relax at the end of a long day of tourist visiting.
Hope to see you soon again!
Best regards
the Manager

Been to Hotel Gio' Wine e Jazz Area? Share your experiences!