“Perfect hideaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ljubljana, Slovenia
30 attraction reviews
“Perfect hideaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

After a crowded sightseeing in Siena this is a perceft hideaway. Impressive old convent is situated in Tuscan countryside. See also the sword in the rock on a chuch up on the hill.

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
Nashville, TN
3 attraction reviews
“Great morning trip from Siena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Nice drive outside Siena to see very pictureque ruins of this old church. Definitely fun to pack a lunch and eat out in the countryside. I understand tour buses can sometimes invade the place but on our trip we were lucky to see only a few other folks so it made a nice morning excursion

Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
28 attraction reviews
“Beautiful ruins!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I love ruins, and cathedral ruins are even better! Beautiful structure and set in a wonderful landscape. Highly recommended of you can find your way out there.

Visited August 2012
New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
“Great place to propose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I took my girlfriend to Italy so that I can propose to her. Through the Tripadvisor forums, this abbey was suggested as a romantic place. After reading it's history, I was convinced that this would be The Spot on our trip. There were many, but this was perfect.

We rented a car from Rome FCO on Dec 26 around 1 pm and arrived around 4:30. There were plenty of places to stop for bathroom breaks, and the facilities were all clean. There was just a bit of light left. I was afraid it might be closed because it was the day after Christmas. I also didn't know what time it closed. Lucky for us, they were still open, and there were only a few people wandering around the abbey.

I led my girlfriend to the abbey and had her wait just outside while I lit some candles around the stone alter. I brought her inside and asked her to sit down. I then began my little speech on how much I loved her. Needless to say, she said yes.

Afterwards, we drove up the hill to where the chapel was located and parked our car. I wanted to see the sword for myself. And there it was. I thought the chapel was very quaint and also romantic. There was a small souvenir store where we purchased some postcards and calendar. There were also a number of cats around, and I guess it was a sign it was the right place. We both have cats in our homes.

We then drove 30 minutes (maybe less) to Siena.

Visited December 2012
Milan, Italy
10 attraction reviews
“A magic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have visited religious places around the world but this instills feelings of awe and mysticism that I had rarely experienced before. I recommend visiting at dusk, possibly off-season, when the place is empty and one can stand and look around in silence, immersed in the magic atmosphere that the place generates.

Visited December 2012