“Great place to propose” 5 of 5 stars

New Jersey
18 attraction reviews
“Great place to propose”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I took my girlfriend to Italy so that I can propose to her. Through the Tripadvisor forums, this abbey was suggested as a romantic place. After reading it's history, I was convinced that this would be The Spot on our trip. There were many, but this was perfect.

We rented a car from Rome FCO on Dec 26 around 1 pm and arrived around 4:30. There were plenty of places to stop for bathroom breaks, and the facilities were all clean. There was just a bit of light left. I was afraid it might be closed because it was the day after Christmas. I also didn't know what time it closed. Lucky for us, they were still open, and there were only a few people wandering around the abbey.

I led my girlfriend to the abbey and had her wait just outside while I lit some candles around the stone alter. I brought her inside and asked her to sit down. I then began my little speech on how much I loved her. Needless to say, she said yes.

Afterwards, we drove up the hill to where the chapel was located and parked our car. I wanted to see the sword for myself. And there it was. I thought the chapel was very quaint and also romantic. There was a small souvenir store where we purchased some postcards and calendar. There were also a number of cats around, and I guess it was a sign it was the right place. We both have cats in our homes.

We then drove 30 minutes (maybe less) to Siena.

Visited December 2012

• Polish first
Milan, Italy
10 attraction reviews
“A magic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have visited religious places around the world but this instills feelings of awe and mysticism that I had rarely experienced before. I recommend visiting at dusk, possibly off-season, when the place is empty and one can stand and look around in silence, immersed in the magic atmosphere that the place generates.

Visited December 2012
Rome, Italy
164 attraction reviews
“The sword....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

After seeing the fascinating ruins of the church, must see San Galgano's sword in the rock, a five minute walk to the'Eremo di Montesiepi where San Galgano - as the legend says - got rid of his sword by inserting it in a huge stone.

Visited September 2012
Cologne, Germany
26 attraction reviews
“Interesting trip outside of Siena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We traveled out to San Galgano on an afternoon in October, so it was not very busy. We were shocked at the large parking lot there where I imagine tour buses pull in. We were fortunate that there were none there on this day. It was a nice way to spend time wondering around just taking in the architecture and walking up the hill to the church. Very pretty and the surrounding countryside is beautiful. You can appreciate it from this sight. We had a little lunch outside at the cafe right across from the abbey too.

Visited October 2012
Milan, Italy
79 attraction reviews
“amazing site in a gorgeous setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

tranquillity, a beautiful place which inspires reflection . a unique visit, coupled with the romanesque church up the hill. pity that the Lorenzetti frescos in this second church are quite hard to see in terms of lighting ,distance from the visitor

Visited October 2012