“Good location, charming building, very rude manager” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Centrale to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Cecco Angiolieri, 26, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #20 of 43 hotels in Siena
Byron Bay, Australia
“Good location, charming building, very rude manager”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

A 3 star hotel located on the fourth floor of a very old building in the old town. Full of character.

What I liked :
- Quaint, charming feeling. The building is old and you can feel it in the interior.
- Room had a balcony/terrace to sit on.
- Wi-fi fast and worked well.
- Room amenities about what you'd expect for a 3 star hotel. Comfortable enough. Bathroom also ok. Decent shower. TV. Ceiling fan. Wardrobe. No a/c so on the top floor in the middle of summer it could be warm for some.
- Good location. 1 minute walk from Piazza del Campo.

What was average :
- Breakfast was just ok. Don't think fibre or anything with much life in it. Coffee, packaged Italian toast/biscuit, sugary spreads, packet orange juice, single white roll.
- Located on the top floor of a four story building. No lift. No problem for me but I can imagine for someone who doesn't like too many stairs, especially with luggage, it wouldn't be easy.

What I didn't like :
- Being told it was ok to store my luggage there after check-out time (10:00) whilst I went sight-seeing. Coming back at 3 and wanting to use the wi-fi for 10 mins to check my mails and being made to sit in the corridor because they were 'cleaning' the breakfast room. No cleaning was happening. 5 minutes later being told I had to leave because "there is a group coming", which there wasn't because I waited outside for a taxi for 20 minutes and no group showed up.
I asked if I could just finish what I was doing and the manager grabbed my case and literally threw it out the door, scowling and saying, "Check-out time 10:00am". He was really really really rude and a bit aggressive. Totally unpleasant way to end my stay.

3 star amenity but not more, great location, exceptionally rude and unpleasant manager. Certainly would not recommend. Mind you up to the point where he was really rude, they were pleasant enough without providing great service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
First of all we are not a 3 star hotel but two stars and the services we offer are up to a 3 star hotel, our breakfast is continental and very satisfying, after checking out that in our hotel until 10am, we kept his luggage beyond the 3 o'clock in the afternoon without asking any cost. After it arrived at 3 o'clock in the afternoon took your connection wifi and we have agreed. After more than 40 minutes, cluttering up the hallway with your luggage I asked politely if you could leave the hotel, being a small structure as a group was coming. You asked me to call a taxi and I called. After phoned the taxi you was allowed no reason to insult me ​​in front of the group with no respect. Before writing these reviews to learn the respect for others but especially for the people who work for you. I did not really words to describe your behavior and your rudeness. We love our job and we do it with the utmost love and respect above all our customers.

Rosario e Laura

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I loved staying here, yes there are a few flights of stairs but after 3 days I am proud to say I could get to the top without pausing!

The location is perfect, just 1 street from Il campo and the couple are so helpful. They sorted out horse riding for us, at a very good price and printed out various travel options.

We booked for 1 night (room 34) which was a lovely room with 2 singles and a double and then decided to book a 2nd night which was room 40 (a double) both had great views over the rooftops and it was great watching and listening to the birds.

We were so lucky that there were parading through the streets for the winner of the Paleo the week before and the singing echoing through the passage ways really made the hairs on my arms stand up!

We will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: If you are a little on the large side like me the shower in room 34 is a bit of a squeeze!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear talsarnau, we took great pleasure your review!, thank you describe your stay so carefully, you still expect to Siena, for any information we are at your disposal.

Laura & Rosario

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a wonderful stay. The staff were always friendly and helpful. Clean, spacious family room. Great location in the centre of Siena. Lots of stairs, but no problem, even for two children. Highly recommend Hotel Centrale.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Wonderful review!!!, for us it was a real pleasure to host you and with these words filled with energy to continue to do our work every day with the heart, we hope to see you soon with us, please contact us for any information.

Thanks

Laura

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I think this hotel offers excellent value for money if you're prepared to face the 4 flight of stairs as there is no elevator. It must be said that that the owners are incredibly friendly and helpful with the luggages. Upon arrival with the car they help me to navigate the tricky street of Siena old town and they took care of the luggages. I knew we booked an hotel called Centrale but even I was surprised to find out it was about 1 min walking from PIazza del Campo. We share a large room for 4: plenty of space and very cleans with a nice homely feeling. Best of all having breakfast (very good coffee by the way) while starting at Torre del Mangia. Not many hotels even expensive one can boost that... Free wi-fi comes as a bonus

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, we are very very happy to know that you found so well with us, We hope to host you again, for any information please contact us and follow us on facebook.

Thanks.

Laura

Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My wife and I have been traveling for 3.5 months across multiple countries. It was such a blessing to find this hotel. From the minute we arrived, we felt as though we were at home. The owners are on property and they go out of there way to make sure you have everything you need. On our last day there, one of the two owners made a point of arriving early at 5:00 a.m. to make us coffee and to help us with the luggage and taxi. The location of the hotel and view from our room were amazing. Everything was clean and fresh. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony and plan for stairs.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario G, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
we are really happy to read these beautiful words that come from your heart, makes us pleasure to be found at home, this is one of our strengths, we are small and we can make you feel like in family.

We also hope to welcome you again, for any information please contact us.

Rosario & Laura

Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel has a great location. Siena is very walkable anyways, but even moreso from this hotel. It is on the top floor of the building and there are no elevators, but the couple that runs the hotel always helps with luggage. Speaking of that couple, they are just phenomenal. They work very hard and are also very kind. They go above and beyond; they helped me several different days working out what places I should visit and how I should get there. The balcony in our room was one of the best features - perfect for sitting and reading or getting takeout and eating dinner. There is a bit of noise in the street below, so just bring earplugs or download a white noise app for your phone, and you'll be fine at night. I would stay here again and again.

Room Tip: If you want to lay out on the balcony in sunshine, or be further away from the noisy bar, just ask t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
RosarioLaura, Direttore at Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
thank you very much for taking your time to write some beautiful words, we are very pleased that your stay with us was so special, for us is more than pleased to help you.

We also hope to host you again and again, for any information please contact us and follow us on facebook.

Thanks.

Laura & Rosario
Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I stayed one night in Albergo Centrale & I couldn't have asked for more. The Hotel is centrally located within the very center of Siena: it is a couple of min walking to Piazza Del Campo & 5 min walk to the central bus station. Indeed, as other reviewers mentioned, this hotel is on the 3rd floor of a building with long stairs but this is the case in all budget hotels in Italy so I've no complaints regarding this issue. The owners of the hotel are really really friendly & helpful, the lady even met me halfway through the stairs & insisted on carrying my bag which was heavy & I'm a guy!!
The room itself is large and clean; however, the furnishing was old, but for me its part of the charm. The toilet is on the small side, but the shower & hot water worked well. They also have a free wifi in the room.
For me, this hotel is perfect if you are on a budget & would definetly stay there again, although, you can get some noise from the crowded bar in the street, but you can't fault these people because they are in a lovely city & should enjoy every moment:)

Room Tip: Maybe if you are a light sleeper then try to get a room that don't overlook the street
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Centrale? Share your experiences!