“Wonderful place to stay in Siena” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Santa Caterina
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Enea Silvio Piccolomini 7, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 43 hotels in Siena
Maine
“Wonderful place to stay in Siena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We arrived after days of constantly getting lost in Italian towns and cities. Part of the adventure, I know, but sometimes a bit nerve-racking (thank god for those roundabouts, which we circled until we figured out the correct exit...)

The hotel and staff were great. There's secure parking behind the hotel, which they'll direct you to when you're checking in. The bed and bathroom were extremely comfortable, including a great 'hot' towel rack for drying any hand-washed items. The view was lovely. The only very minor item (which is just me being picky as I find this wherever I go) is I forgot my reading light/head lamp, and I always need better reading light. Again, this is very minor but only a tip to any others who are as 'blind' as I am.

And, the location was perfect - just one block down from one of the imposing gates into the old part of the city. We just walked and walked and loved it.

But, best of all was the staff. One young man couldn't have been more helpful. Whatever we needed or asked, he was more than accommodating. It truly is the people who make one's stay memorable, and here, at this hotel, we left with lovely memories.

PS He recommended some wonderful restaurants, two of which we tried. Both were excellent (Fori Porta and Osteria Babazuf).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

464 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This property is very nice. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is very good. The location is out of the historic center but walkable and not a problem.

The only problem was when we checked out, I was shortchanged by 10 Euro. When I said there was a problem, the woman never apologized, she just rustled some papers and gave me my 10 Euro. Not a nice experience.

If not for the "mistake", it would have been a 4* review.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lorycap, Direttore at Hotel Santa Caterina, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

first of all I wish to thank you for having chosen our Hotel as destination of your recent stay in Siena.

I regretted, however, to read your review as I do not think it’s so correct the evaluation that you gave to the structure for something that I believe can happen anywhere and at any time

I well remember the time of check-out as well as I remember my apology, perhaps without too much fuss, but it was a fraction of seconds from when you notified the problem and when I realized that I really committed a mistake in giving the change

Moreover, if you well remember there were two payments, the Hotel bill and city tax
so making the calculation it’s possible I made a mistake, which surely will not be
the first either the last.

I thought that for a so small thing, for which we had not even discuss any way and that we have solved in one instant there were not many more words to say than a “ Sorry “ !

What you call my rummage among the papers was simply taking the rest of the missing change from the drawer where money is held in cash

However, what perhaps disappointed me even more is that when you made your booking with us I accepted your reservation without wanting you provide your credit card even through our secure link because you did not trust to disclose certain information therefore, as you can well understand, our policy is based on good faith and certainly
not on trying to defraud people.

Your appreciation about my attitude is very strange as directly and by letters and reviews
I always receive many thanks from my Guests for my kindness and availability as well as for all my staff in our work.

I hope to have the possibility in the future to change your impression about your thinking

I take this opportunity to send you my most cordial greetings

The Manager
Lorenza
Centerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We drove from Rome to Siena and pulled up in front of the quaint, understated Hotel Santa Caterina. After being directed to a back area to park the car we passed through the beautiful, spacious back patio with amazing views below and entered a welcoming, cozy, wonderful lobby with smiling, attentive staff. Our room was for 3 with a wonderful, private loft upstairs, large bed and everything one would need and a twin downstairs. The extensive complimentary "continental" breakfast was one we looked forward to each morning in a glass surround dining room overlooking the patio & views and the women serving coffee could not have been more attentive, accommodating, and friendly. The small bar behind a wall with an opening and the lovely lobby was such a welcome respite in the afternoon after returning from long walks around the city in the rain.The location was just minutes from the center of town with its piazza, cafes, cathedral, etc.and this area of Siena was like an amazing walk back in time, The ambiance of this cozy hotel was wonderful as was each staff member. When we left, we all agreed we would like to have stayed longer. It is a lovely place, in a lovely old city and I highly, highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed in the annex, a comfortable two bedroom apartment with an incredible view of the Tuscan countryside. Staff was exceptional in every way. The location was convenient for us -- just outside the city wall. We will gladly stay here again. Highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I can't say enough about the helpful staff and the lengths they went to , to ensure our stay was a memorable and enjoyable one. We went there from other reports on trip advisor and so glad we did. From the first contact , the off street parking quite rare so close to the centre of town , to our apartment so suitable for 5 people with plenty of space and views to die for . Delicious breakfast in the room with a view looking over the hills of Tuscany but only minutes from town. The management should be proud of the staff and I would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Siena with family or couple all rooms had a view. Thank you

Room Tip: If travelling with a family the apartment is fantastic!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We took the bus from Rome to Siena and then took a local bus to Hotel Santa Caterina. As we opened the door to our room, I was instantly sure that we had made the best choice! The room was a loft (the bed was upstairs with a small sitting room downstairs). The wood beamed ceilings and large bay window made the space feel so charming and cozy. The view from the window was unbelievable! It was totally the "Under the Tuscan Sun" image that I had in my head and I couldn't believe that we had found such spectacular accommodations at a great price. (We were there in January, which is the low season.)

The hotel is a short walk from the center town of Siena. Staying outside of the city walls wasn't a problem at all and you certainly don't need a car unless you plan to travel through other parts of Tuscany. We stayed there for 3 days and already booked a wine tour for one of the days, so there was no need to rent a car.

I certainly plan to return to Siena in the future and will definitely stay at Hotel Santa Caterina again! My only regret was that we didn't stay there longer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bathurst NSW Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

This was our first visit to Siena and we drove in ,we should of had a gps so it took a long time to find the hotel and parking was a challenge to navigate into.. Once we found the hotel-do not drive through Sienna old town ,it is spaghetti lanes with no rules- we parked in the secure parking (15 euros a day extra), The wonderful concierge took our bags to our room and made us very welcome. The room had a comfortable bed, shuttered windows, very warm, with under floor tile heating and quaint , simple decor. Being right on the road we were initially concerned about noise, but the night was quiet. The bathroom had a bath with shower over and was a decent size. Breakfast was simple; cereal,pastries with condiments and fruit in the lovely conservatorium overlooking the beautiful garden. Staff we helpful and friendly, they gave us a Sienna guide book and it was a very short walk right to the heart of the walled centre of town. Take their advice and walk down the road to their suggested restaurant, fabulous food at good prices. A reasonably priced hotel with good amenities and very nice staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Santa Caterina? Share your experiences!