“Good hotel, worst service i've ever seen in a hotel...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Siena Degli Ulivi

Save Saved
You added Mercure Siena Degli Ulivi to your Saves list
Mercure Siena Degli Ulivi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Antonio Lombardi 41, 53100 Siena, Italy (Formerly Academy Hotel)   |
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Siena
“Good hotel, worst service i've ever seen in a hotel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The hotel is Very good located but the problem is the service. They do not attemd Guest well and when asked about something the Answer is altas rude. I am a Guest now and imagine that i asked the reception to call a restaurant just to change a reservation i made (because i could not do it from my room) and they asked me to came to reception and do it by myself. Today september 18 they turned off the hotel Air conditioning and said that it will be turned on again only on march....Is This a really 4 star hotel ? i cannot believe it. I will never be here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel lacked atmosphere and warmth. While there was nothing really wrong with this hotel there was nothing really good either. It is a short taxi ride to the centre of Siena. The room was okay and breakfast was okay the staff was okay buts that's about it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Caracas, Venezuela
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

While travelling through Italy, my travelling companion had a seizure and spent several days in hospital. After a dramatic ambulance trip and a few hours at the ER of the Siena University Hospital, I walked in a daze down the street to the hotel I had seen in a blur a few hours previously in the ambulance.

"My friend has just gone into hospital and I have no idea how long he'll be in there for," I said, nothing more than a piteous sweat stain from the Tuscan heat. "Please tell me you have a room."

"We do," replied the efficient desk clerk. "And we have a distress rate."

For that alone, I am grateful to this hotel! They helped get set up with internet so I could rearrange flights and hotels later in our itinerary. It's a great hotel if you happen to be stuck at the hospital for a few days. Otherwise, the clientele seemed to be business travellers and tour groups. It is a bit far out of the centre if you want to be immersed in the glory of Siena; however, there are frequent buses travelling into the old city. The breakfast buffet is not overly generous but more than adequate; most people should be able to find something to get them going for the day, whatever their dietary requirements.

Overall, I am just grateful to have had this hotel so close at hand and accommodating as I extended my stay at a moment's notice.

Room Tip: Even though I had a room right by the elevator, I was not bothered by the noise.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel as a stage of a longer trip towards southern Italy. For us it was important to have a relaxing sleep and a good breakfast to make our long journey as comfortable as possible. This hotel was excellent for this, our room was clean and calm, the hotel is nice, not too far away from the centre, and the service which the staff gave was very friendly and professional. I would choose the same hotel next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed at Accor hotels all summer, for about the past month. They are usually quite good. This particular hotel has disappointed me the most.
1) They charge for internet.. not just in your room, but even in common areas... even the girl on the desk was apologetic, but apparently it is a particular passion for the hotel manager to charge for internet. This is a "Mercure" hotel and it should provide services such as free internet!!
2) They advertise themselves as "on the threshold of the walled city"... in fact they are a good 3 km from the wall and there is no way you would walk it... this hotel is nowhere near the city.
3) Worst breakfast buffet I have had at any Accor hotel in Europe (including ibis) bread, cheese a few cold cuts, and that is it!
4) I arrived just after 1pm. The desk clerk was very unfriendly and it seemed that I was disturbing him, He said I was too early, but he said "let me check to see if I have a room that is ready".... read on, as it turns out, the hotel was virtually empty, and it is a big hotel.
4) The hotel was virtualy deserted... there were maybe 10 guests at breakfast and the parking lot was empty...in the height of tourist season!!... say no more
Avoid this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Siena hotels

Bulle, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed at Mercure Siena for two nights but what surprised me was the quality of the service and how good the employees were trained. From the front desk team to the restaurant staff, they were caring and gentile. I highly recommend you to stay there! =)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hanoi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed with my two kids in a twin bedroom and had plenty of space to sleep with my two kids. Breakfast was included and ok. A bit outside of the center but provides free parking. Relatively new hotel with no particular facilities, but provides all the basics well including aircon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mercure Siena Degli Ulivi? Share your experiences!