“Outstanding in Every Way” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Continental
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Banchi Di Sopra 85, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Siena
Redding, Connecticut, USA
“Outstanding in Every Way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is a gem. A grand style hotel built from a palazzo from the 17th c.; fabulous location and great service. The rooms are beautiful, mine had frescoed ceiling and beautiful decor. I loved the whimsical art throughout the hotel which contrasted so nicely with the heavy antiques and palazzo style of construction. The staff were lovely and all seemed to know us. If you have a chance, ask to see the wine cellar - it is a must see! I also love the ballroom. Excellent amenities in the room, good wifi service and very clean everywhere. We had dinner there and it was excellent, but i would say the setting is not as nice as the rest of the property. This is a property i will be happy to return to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
NBeaugonin, Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,
we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate the atmosphere of our hotel and the dedicated service.
Indeed the orignial frescoes in a selection of our rooms in the higher category are something very unique.
With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
tenafly, new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Old world with tasteful styling, very professional service and strategic location best describes this hotel. Rooms vary in size with classical and antique decor. Bathrooms are all modern and tasteful. Breakfast buffet unmemorable, especially the coffee. Valet parking a definite plus, since driving through this ancient city was an adventure.

Room Tip: if you would like a larger room, upgrade.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
we are delighted to know that you have apreciated the hotel, the service and the location in Siena. Our historical palace offers indeed a unique atmosphere combined with modern comforts.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future in Siena.
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have decided we like small to mid-sized Italian towns. This is our first visit to Siena and the Grand Hotel Continental. The hotel tans ports you back to the days of the grand tour of the continent. Old world beauty and service with all modern conveniences. Great location first rate staff.

Room Tip: All 51 rooms are lovely
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased that you have had the opportunity of discovering Siena and our hotel.
Hope to welcome you again in the future.
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Plenty of character in the palatial hotel in the historic centre, not far from the Campo. I booked this for a group and we all enjoyed our stay. We had no trouble finding it by car and the best thing was being able to dump it on the road, letting the staff valet park it for us. Service and rooms were good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
NBeaugonin, Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you very much for the time dedicated to the comments and we appreciate that you have enjoyed the stay in our hotel. The location is most unique to visit all major attractions of the beautiful city of Siena.
Mandello del Lario, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

In a 17 century palace perfectly renewed this LHW is perfect to enjoy Siena. The rooms and the amenities are of high standard, even tough for a longer stay I'd advice the Deluxe that is slightly bigger.
Breackfast could be improved, but again also here the service is perfect.
Getting there by car is a challange, but the staff will take care of the parking

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
thank you for the comments which have met our best attention and assist us in continuosly improving our service for our guests putting much attention on every detail.
We do hope to welcome you in Siena again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We traveled to Europe from Sydney in June 2012, stayed in Siena only one night few days before the famous Palio :(
Vibrant city, full of young people. Beautiful Tuscan scenery. Hotel located in a great position in the heart of the old town.
Beautiful hotel and excellent hospitality, Italians really know what this word means opposite to Germans ( we stayed later in Frankfurter Hof where they take your money and let you know they are doing you a favour).Room beautifully decorated. Bed could have been more comfortable, but it might be a problem with me rather then with the hotel.
Hotel staff very very helpful and friendly. We will definitely stay again.
Alex

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the kind words and we are pleased to know that you have appreciated you stay in our hotel and the visit to Siena! Our locations does offer the possibility to "live" the city and the best of the Italian lifestyle.
Hoping that you may again travel to Siena in the future and choose the Grand Hotel Continental for your stay.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Such a shame that this is the only 5-star hotel in Siena. Maybe if there was more competition, this hotel would do a better job at treating their guests well.

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. We rented a car and, as most people know, Siena is a very difficult place to navigate an automobile. We parked in the square across the street, and I ran inside to ask the concierge where we should pull the car to have it valeted. There was another customer standing at the desk just reading his bill, and I waited patiently as the concierge completely ignored me, not even looking up to smile or tell me he'd be right with me, as most concierges would in ANY hotel, five star or not. After a few minutes, I began to get worried, knowing my husband was idling in the car outside in what may or may not be a legal place to park, so I VERY KINDLY said "Excuse me, may I ask you a quick question?" and the concierge VERY rudely snapped at me and said "Excuse me, I am working with him, MY GUEST, I will answer your question when he is done. You wait your turn."

I was completely appalled. I stood there quietly, fuming, until he decided to come back to me and ask how he could help me. I very firmly said, "I am ALSO your guest, and I need to know where to pull my car for valet."

He apologized profusely for his error in judgement and explained that people always come in off of the street asking for directions and so that is why he responded that way, but it was too late to quell my anger. I have NEVER been treated like that in any sort of hotel in my life, especially not a five star hotel, where the service is typically impeccable. He did apologize for the rest of the trip whenever he saw us, and I appreciate his efforts, but it was a terrible way to start the trip. I never said anything, and tried to assure him not to worry (although I was very upset), as it is not in my nature to make people feel bad once they admit fault. However, I found that most of the people at the concierge desk were short, rude, and unfriendly.

Additionally, the rooms are terribly in need of updating, the bathrooms look like they belong in a Holiday Inn, and the hotel does not even provide complimentary water, as, again, most five-star hotels in Italy do. There is absolutely nothing special about this hotel.

Also, the hotel advertises that they have a fitness center, however, the fitness center is a ten minute walk from the hotel AND you have to pay for it! I am sorry, but I can say I have a gym in my apartment, but the truth of the matter is the gym is 5 blocks from my apartment, so that means I DON'T have a gym in my apartment. It's really not that difficult.

I would recommend that people find a better, more impressive, and more welcoming hotel during their stay in Siena.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
you comments had already been post last autumn and therefore this is a duplicate review.
As at that time, we have given our reply. The episode you report is certainly not anything near to the high level of service our establishment is known for. Please be assured that the matter has met our best attention.
Again, we do apologize for not having provided the most excellent service which we strive to achieve in our daily commitment to hospitality.
With kind regards,

Been to Grand Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!