“In the Center an impeccable service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Save €25 on select meals
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Siena
Mandello del Lario, Italy
“In the Center an impeccable service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

In a 17 century palace perfectly renewed this LHW is perfect to enjoy Siena. The rooms and the amenities are of high standard, even tough for a longer stay I'd advice the Deluxe that is slightly bigger.
Breackfast could be improved, but again also here the service is perfect.
Getting there by car is a challange, but the staff will take care of the parking

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
NBeaugonin, Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for the comments which have met our best attention and assist us in continuosly improving our service for our guests putting much attention on every detail.
We do hope to welcome you in Siena again.
With kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We traveled to Europe from Sydney in June 2012, stayed in Siena only one night few days before the famous Palio :(
Vibrant city, full of young people. Beautiful Tuscan scenery. Hotel located in a great position in the heart of the old town.
Beautiful hotel and excellent hospitality, Italians really know what this word means opposite to Germans ( we stayed later in Frankfurter Hof where they take your money and let you know they are doing you a favour).Room beautifully decorated. Bed could have been more comfortable, but it might be a problem with me rather then with the hotel.
Hotel staff very very helpful and friendly. We will definitely stay again.
Alex

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the kind words and we are pleased to know that you have appreciated you stay in our hotel and the visit to Siena! Our locations does offer the possibility to "live" the city and the best of the Italian lifestyle.
Hoping that you may again travel to Siena in the future and choose the Grand Hotel Continental for your stay.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Such a shame that this is the only 5-star hotel in Siena. Maybe if there was more competition, this hotel would do a better job at treating their guests well.

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our honeymoon. We rented a car and, as most people know, Siena is a very difficult place to navigate an automobile. We parked in the square across the street, and I ran inside to ask the concierge where we should pull the car to have it valeted. There was another customer standing at the desk just reading his bill, and I waited patiently as the concierge completely ignored me, not even looking up to smile or tell me he'd be right with me, as most concierges would in ANY hotel, five star or not. After a few minutes, I began to get worried, knowing my husband was idling in the car outside in what may or may not be a legal place to park, so I VERY KINDLY said "Excuse me, may I ask you a quick question?" and the concierge VERY rudely snapped at me and said "Excuse me, I am working with him, MY GUEST, I will answer your question when he is done. You wait your turn."

I was completely appalled. I stood there quietly, fuming, until he decided to come back to me and ask how he could help me. I very firmly said, "I am ALSO your guest, and I need to know where to pull my car for valet."

He apologized profusely for his error in judgement and explained that people always come in off of the street asking for directions and so that is why he responded that way, but it was too late to quell my anger. I have NEVER been treated like that in any sort of hotel in my life, especially not a five star hotel, where the service is typically impeccable. He did apologize for the rest of the trip whenever he saw us, and I appreciate his efforts, but it was a terrible way to start the trip. I never said anything, and tried to assure him not to worry (although I was very upset), as it is not in my nature to make people feel bad once they admit fault. However, I found that most of the people at the concierge desk were short, rude, and unfriendly.

Additionally, the rooms are terribly in need of updating, the bathrooms look like they belong in a Holiday Inn, and the hotel does not even provide complimentary water, as, again, most five-star hotels in Italy do. There is absolutely nothing special about this hotel.

Also, the hotel advertises that they have a fitness center, however, the fitness center is a ten minute walk from the hotel AND you have to pay for it! I am sorry, but I can say I have a gym in my apartment, but the truth of the matter is the gym is 5 blocks from my apartment, so that means I DON'T have a gym in my apartment. It's really not that difficult.

I would recommend that people find a better, more impressive, and more welcoming hotel during their stay in Siena.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
you comments had already been post last autumn and therefore this is a duplicate review.
As at that time, we have given our reply. The episode you report is certainly not anything near to the high level of service our establishment is known for. Please be assured that the matter has met our best attention.
Again, we do apologize for not having provided the most excellent service which we strive to achieve in our daily commitment to hospitality.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just a few small blocks off the main square, along a main shopping street, the hotel was a wonderful place to spend Christmas as we began our Italy trip. The staff was quick to help us deal with the car, and get settled. At that time of year, the streets are lit with holiday lights, and there's an enormous christmas tree just across the street.

The hotel lobby itself is filled with old-world charm, frescoes and architectural details. Our top-floor suite had a small terrace that opened to the rooftops. There's not much of a view, but it's nice to have the access. We liked opening to the door to hear the town's church bells ringing for the holiday. The room decor is clean and comfortable, but not particularly stylish. The large walk-in closet was a welcome surprise.

Because so many things were closed on Christmas itself, we had dinner in the hotel and I truly enjoyed the meal and the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NBeaugonin, Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dearest Guest,
we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us during the holiday season. Siena does offer a special atmosphere during this period. The top floor rooms are indeed more contemporary in style, while there are alternatives according to the guests preferences with more traditional furnishing and unique antique pieces. Mention worthy are certainly to the Junior Suites and Suites on the noble floor with origianl frescoed ceilings.
We will do are best to meet you preferences if indicated in advace and hope to welcome you again in Siena.
Saint Julian's, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Perfect location right within the fortifications of the old city. Previously a Palazzo, evidence of which is still apparent with the stunning frescoes, high ceilings and grandeur all round. Only 50 something bedrooms but public areas feel like you are in a much larger space. The bedrooms are a great size with large windows and a decent sized bathroom. The bar and restaurant are very good too and breakfast is extremely varied & fresh. Traditional style so not for you if you prefer minimalist and contemporary. Only negative is that there is no gym or any exercise equipment. However, Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel. The closest gym facilities are just a few minutes walk from the hotel or alternatively there are areas for jogging. The locals keep in shape by walking through the city streets where you may encounter a few steep uphill/downhill side alleys!!
Hoping to welcome you again in Siena, with kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Excellent hotel; great location in the centre of the old town, wonderful building (and very effective conversion of old Palazzo) and very friendly and helpful team - take their advice! Top floor suites are wonderful, with terrace overlooking the streets and old roofs of Siena.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
NBeaugonin, Assistant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Guests,
thank you for your kind comments following your stay in Siena.
We are pleased to know that you appreciated both the hotel features and the staff services.
Hoping to welcome you again at the Grand Hotel Continental in the future.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this property. The breakfast and lobby were the nicest we had during our 2 weeks in Italy. The front desk personnel were mostly very helpful, some better at English and friendlier than others. The room was spacious and had a stunning view and the bathroom was also very nice, clean and spacious. The room itself is not American in style in any way, so don't expect it. It's not plush, but had antiques and delicate furniture. I disliked the bedding (old-school hotel blanket and firm pillows) and would have preferred a down duvet for a five star hotel, but that is my biggest complaint. The room was also very quiet, unlike many other hotels in Italy we experienced.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
NBeaugonin, Assitant Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guests,
thank you for your kind comments which are greately appreciated. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the hotel while visiting Siena. Our bedrooms do alternativly offer both down and/or anti-allergic duvets and pillows, and we will be happy to meet your preference in the future.
We hope that you will return to Siena and the Grand Hotel Continental.
With kind regards,

Been to Grand Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!