“A good hotel but could be even better” 4 of 5 stars

You added Grand Hotel Continental to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Continental
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Banchi Di Sopra 85, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Siena
“A good hotel but could be even better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The hotel does fit clearly into the five-star luxury segment. The lobby is done to a high standard and looks suitably impressive, and the location is ideal. So far so good. Our minor criticisms are the following.

1. The room we had was smaller than would be expected and had slightly outdated decoration.

2. They will try to charge you for wifi - always a no no in my opinion, and just means I have to walk outside to a cafe.

3. Their checklist of restaurant recommendations, all of which are supposed to be of a high standard, is in fact a mixed (and somewhat biased) bag. In our case one was brilliant but with the other they really should have known better and we basically wasted an evening out.

All in all a good five star but could have been be a great one.

• Stayed October 2012
Gartolli, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Grand Hotel Continental.

As a company we greatly value the feedback we receive from our Guests as we constantly strive to maintain a consistently high standard of service.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed part of the hotel and its location.
As far as the rooms are concerned, being a Noble Palace dating back to the 16th century, we have a vast choice of room categories and sizes, going from (25 sq.m to 200 sq.m).
I am sorry we were not able to give you a choice of a larger room.
As for the choice of restaurants, we do not have any complaints normally about our suggestions. I do believe that seldom a Guest may have a bad experience and I apologize for the inconvenience.
We do hope to have the possibility to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel Continental in a near future.

Yours Sincerely
G.Artolli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dahlonega, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We wanted to do a great hotel in Siena and we certainly did it by choosing this hotel. Yes it deserves a galaxy of stars for all they helped us with. The staff was one of the most excellent staff I have ever dealt with. They were helpful and knowledgable and very friendly. Everyone at the front desk. Including the bellman. Also the restaurant and the cleaning staff. So the staff gets A+ but so does the hotel. It is located in the heart of Siena . There are beautiful rooms and baths, wifi, breakfast, and stunning views. Here is the thing. Parking. My husband and I were crazy enough to drive into this medieval city and I nearly had a panic attack . We laugh now but it was nerves of steel. We valeted our car with them. If you have high blood pressure don't attempt it. We did and we think of it as an NFL highlight film. Our car and thousands of tourists on a medival street. But it all worked out and we had the most wonderful time here for 2 nights. Robes and slippers and toiletries . Maps for you at front desk. So central to everything you want to see and on the "main" drag. People , people and more people. And near to the bakeries to get the local specialties and my favorite gelato place Kopa kabana. Great hotel to stay at. Siena is so different at night too. It is worth staying to see.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your review, following your recent stay with us at Grand Hotel Continental.

It is always very rewarding to receive such wonderful compliments as the team endeavor to ensure that every guest leaves with great memories. The car and parking issue you may not want to repeat, but I am sure it will remain with you as a great experience. Next the in town or in a different medieval town I am sure you will feel more confident.

I am eager to share your review with my colleagues who will be thrilled to know that their efforts are so well appreciated.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind words and for your patronage. We look forward to welcoming you back to in the near future.

Lisburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

A beautiful hotel. The room was large and comfortable with a private balcony. All the service was excellent, including the maid service and especially the front desk staff who were very friendly and helpful, no matter what our request.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gartolli, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions on the Grand Hotel Continental and its Staff.
We are delighted to have managed to offer you a perfect stay……
From everyone here at the Grand Hotel Continental a big THANK YOU for choosing us.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Continental in Siena, mid September 2012. After getting well and truly lost and confused in the hire car in Siena, (GPS do not work well in the city centre due to the narrow streets and taller buildings, we were later told!) a wonderful staff member, Eugenio, kindly came and directed us how to get to the hotel. His courtesy and help was most appreciated!
The room was smaller than others we have stayed in, but it was very well appointed with an excellent king size bed. The window looked down onto the busy street below but street noise was never a problem.
The hotel has a wonderful sitting room in a grand style as well as other works of art to admire.
It is in a perfect location, a minutes walk to the Piazza del Campo, etc.
Laura, behind the desk was always cheerful and gave us excellent restaurant suggestions each night. Francesco also was always happy to help with a smile and good tourist advice.
Dinner and breakfast in the hotel was excellent.
The location, ambience and staff make this Hotel a 5* experience.
(Thanks again Eugenio!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review on our property and on the level of service.
It’s always very rewarding for all my team and myself, to receive kind words of appreciation from our guests.
We are very lucky to have very motivated people at the Front Desk who manage to make Guests feel very welcome and very comfortable during their stay. The rest of the team acts behind the scene, every day, to try to achieve a perfect performance.
We are all very happy to know that we did succeed with you during your stay with us.

los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

After my unppleasant trip to Bellagio I had two choices: cut my trip short and fly home or go to Grand Hotel Continental in Siena where I had the most amazing and memorable time on my two previous trips, last year and in 2006. I chose to go back to GHC eventhough I had to drive from Milano, and took my friend along who was not hundred percent committed. As always, the check in was smooth, pleasent and warm. We were greeted by smiling faces and once I stepped inside the lobby I felt great, leaving behind stress, bad memories of Bellagio and outside heat. This hotel is very special, historic charm and beauty, in perfect city center location. We had a beautiful, spacious, cool and quiet room with a view of a Duomo and we very much enjoyed our breakfast buffet in their restaurant. I must say the people who worked there made it very special for us too. Extremely friendly staff from the cleaning lady to the waiter and reception desk...but most important, our concierge Nabil was top notch, charming and fantastic! He booked our dinner reservations and wine tasting appointments, we had amazing time driving through tuscan picturesque land to wineries. He was very helpful with directions to outlets and other places, assistance and advice. He even brought to our car water and sparkling water upon our departure. Little things sometimes can mean a lot, specially in hot weather. His caring, pleasant and great attitude spoke clearly of people of Siena. We loved the hotel and the city which is very festive and beautiful with breath taking view of the square and awesome tuscan cuisine. My friend couldn't thank me enough for such wonderful experience, she was happy she didn't fly home instead. Thank you for turning our trip around and making this a special and positive experience for us. Next time for sure I will skip places and cities in Italy to spend more time in Siena and Tuscany. I will be back with my family as GHC Siena is my husband's and daughter's favorite place in Italy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor, following your recent stay with us at Grand Hotel Continental.
Your stay with us sounds more like a fairy tale rather than a hotel stay..........thank you very much for sharing that with the world out there
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

During late May we stayed for four days at this hotel. As Australians in Europe we are always a long way from home. We loved our loft style junior suite and the terrace with views over the roof tops of Siena. The hotel is so central to everything and we had no problems with street noise. The staff were always friendly, professional and helpful. The concierge arranged a car tour for us of the nearby villages including a wine tasting at Casa Emma which was made most enjoyable by Carlotta at the winery. Elio, who was our driver, spoke excellent English and made our day special with his friendliness and and intelligent conversation. This is a beautiful hotel in the beautiful and historical city of Siena. We spent many happy hours exploring and would love to return one day. Perhaps Elio might visit Australia one day and see the kangaroos that visit us at dusk at the back of our house on the Gold Coast.
Carol and Gordon
Hope Island
Queensland
Australia

Stayed May 2012
Gartolli, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guests

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience in Tuscany, Siena and at the Grand Hotel Continental. We are delighted to have been able to express a high level of Italian culture and hospitality and that you went back home with such happy memories of your time with us.
You do live a long way away and I am sure many Italians would love to visit Australia and the back yard of your house with your friendly kangaroos!!!! Meanwhile Carlotta, Elio, my Team and myself we are waiting , open arms , for you to come back to Siena.

Warmest regards and have a great summer!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

This outstanding hotel in a PERFECT location is an ideal spot to stay in Siena. The building itself is historic and quite grand, but with many sleek, modern amenities. The staff was warm and very helpful. Room was not huge, but high ceiling and very comfortable. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gartolli, General Manager at Grand Hotel Continental, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guests
Thank you very much for your positive feedback and compliments.
Our goal is to have all our Guest as happy, about their stay with us, as you are.
Hope to have you back real soon.

G. Artolli

Been to Grand Hotel Continental? Share your experiences!