“Exquisite - Too Exquisite” 3 of 5 stars

Certosa di Maggiano
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada di Certosa 82, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #26 of 43 hotels in Siena
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Exquisite - Too Exquisite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is a lovely hotel, with enormous beautiful grounds, pleasant walks in the olive groves with interesting discoveries along the way: the underground cellars, a shrine. The gardens are enchanting, full of flowers and fruit trees, and a different fruit from the garden is left in your room every day.

There was a service being held at the church two rooms away from ours on Sunday morning - they were very courteous and didn't ring the bells until later in the morning. We found it charming.

Our room was small, as you would expect from a monastery, and the bed was small - in fact in was two singles pushed together. The room was put together very well, the cupboards were huge so suitcases could be hidden from view. The bathroom was a fair size but I found having only lace at the windows a little disconcerting at night.

So we loved the hotel, but actually didn't feel free to enjoy it. The atmosphere was so stiff and formal that we felt constrained all the time we were there, which was a shame, because we were hoping for three days of rest and relaxation after a weeklong house party.

We enjoyed the games room, but when we asked to take the backgammon to an outside table we were told it wasn't allowed. Sitting in the lounge on a sunny day was a shame, comfortable though the lounge was.

Our evening restaurant experience was awful. I can only refer you to reviewers Tonybru and Chrisco79, amongst others, rather than repeating the bitter litany of disasters that eating in Il Canto entailed.

The rest of the food wasn't much better. The poolside snacks consisted of two radishes sliced thinly over ice, three small wedges of cheese, some olives and crisps.

Breakfast was very good, although it wouldn't have been if we hadn't supplemented the buffet included in the room price with a la carte. I had superb poached eggs every morning - a sure sign of an excellent kitchen.

What a shame then that they don't go all out and deliver big, beautiful quantities of delicious Italian food as well as the tiny exquisite tastes currently on offer. And a bigger shame that the management and staff don't just relax and allow their visitors to enjoy the beautiful, excellent hotel that they are running. A little relaxation of the reigns would go a very long way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

72 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

After reading some reviews, we did not know what to expect but we had a very courteous reception. Our dinner was very good and so was the presentation. Anna and her staff gave an excellent service in the dining room.
We were upgraded to a suite which was very spacious and pleasant except for the fact that there was a certain odor which did not go away.. perhaps coming from outside. (We could have kept the room we had booked since, although small, was very nice and smelled good but decided to accept the suite because of the space and comfort.)
We did not understand a note in the bathroom on which was written something like this:'The chamber maid is responsible for the bathrobe so please ..'. Does this mean that if a guest steals a bathrobe the maid would have to pay for it? We had never seen a note like this before and sure hoped that only honest people go to that hotel so the maid does not have to pay if... But perhaps we misunderstood.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ACG187902, General Manager at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

many thanks for your kind review. I really appreciate your balanced description about the Property and your experience at the Restaurant Il Canto.
My personal thanks for the words about the customer service, a positive note that put in evidence the daily efforts and training organized indoor with only one target: give the best and excellent service for a magic holiday away from home, having the impression to be at home.
I am sorry about the bad smell in the room. We realized just some days later that the reason was the soot from the fireplaces in the houses around.
I look forward to welcoming you again at the Certosa di Maggiano and in the magical city of Siena !
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've stayed at Hotel Certosa one week this summer. The hotel was a XIV century monastery and in the hotel there is a monestary and quite atmophere. The room was very nice and elegant and the bath was comfortable.
I didn't like the common area, it was old and not clean ( especially the fitness room).
The breakfast was good, but it could be enriched The restaurante was very bad and too expensive.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CertosadiMaggiano, Proprietario at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Sir,
I would like to thank you to have expressed your opinions which help us to improve.
Unfortunately, the problem of the fitness room is that it is located in the open countryside. This does not justify the lack of cleaning, but we are seriously planning to move it in a more protected and shadowy place, since we understand that in the summer it can be really very hot.
About the dinner, it is hard for me to answer you properly because I do not remember what you ate, if my memory is right you ordered the three courses menu at Euro 80,00 per person. I am sorry that you were not satisfied by the meal, but I would like to remember you that our prices include service as well.
Anyway, I hope to welcome you again among our Guests, to give you the occasion to change your mind about your negative memories.

Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Hotel is secluded, stodgy, unwelcoming and rigid. A big disappointment. While the grounds and rooms were very nice, there was something not welcoming about the place. We felt like we were in "10 Little Indians Murder Mystery" Il Canto was supposed to be a "gastronomical event" The dinner was filled with unedible "Chef Suprises". First was breadsticks and they wouldn't put butter on the table until the third course. Finally got pasta and fish, by that time we were all disgusted. And throughout the dinner, the "reknown" Chef was pacing back and forth to see our reactions to his food. Not good.
By the end of the 4 days, we were calling this hotel" Il Prigione" (The Prison)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,
it is clear that your comment has left us all really astonished and without words.
We have done our best to make your stay unforgettable, to make of your friend’s birthday dinner an unique moment and in several occasions you expressed your gratitude to me, to Irene and to the rest of the Staff.
You say that the hotel is secluded, stodgy, unwelcoming and rigid. What do you mean? You arrived at 7:00 p.m., you stayed four nights and for these four days you went out in the morning and came back in the evening. I do not know what you could have enjoyed of the hotel.
I am sorry also that you consider so bad your experience at Il Canto, after that we have prepared a birthday cake which we have offered you and the wine offered by your Travel Agent.
You all chose two courses and to make your dinner more pleasant we have offered you the hors d’oevre.
I would like to clarify that we do serve butter, but butter (however, unusual in Italy) is served with bred and bred usually comes after the pasta.
You expressed your satisfaction for your mafaldine directly to me as you all showed several times to the Chef and to me your happiness and now you say that “by that time we were all digusted”.
Moreover, the Chef is used to enter the dinner room, as you also stress, not to check the reaction towards his cuisine, but to verify that the service is working well.
Why did not you show your disgust instead of congratulate?

New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Let me start by indicating that I reserved a 1200 Euro executive suite somewhat spontaneously because i wanted to show my wife the town of Sienna in the most authentic Florentine manner possible. The actual hotel did not disappoint; the grounds are spectacular and the employees are in themselves good people, no malicious behavior or laziness. The problem is simply that as far as client appreciation goes they are clueless at the Certosa Maggiano.
When we arrived we were pleasantly greeted. We were brought to the suite but it(window and shudders closed) looked like we had been the first guests since the 1960's. Some of the rooms (i.e bathroom) did not have working lights and no effort was made to create a welcoming vibe. We overlooked the matter and spent a pleasant moment in the garden. We were informed well in advance that the hotel is a Michelin starred restaurant and that if we wanted a table for dinner we had to book in advance and so we did. Sadly the dining experience was a complete disappointment, worst still I got food poisoning. Accepting that the bigger problem was the limited menu I found it shockingly disappointing that only one type of food service is provided for guests. In other words if you are not a fan of their "Guide Michelin" cuisine" you will not eat in this hotel period. Not even a dish of pasta. Next day breakfast was supposed to be an exoneration but instead it too was a disappointment. They had no Earl Grey tea or soya milk. Remember this is a Relais Chateaux franchise. To put it into perspective the same thing happen in Capri at the Relais Chateaux and the next day the concierge informed us that the hotel went out and purchased the 5 dollar tea we sought as well as soya milk. This essentially was my biggest frustration. If the TV did not work we were told too bad, If we asked for a later check out time we were told impossible! At no point did we feel as if we were welcomed guests. This is probably the worst mind set a hotel can adapt and suicide for any establishment looking to create a international following. The hotel is a at best a shell of what it used to be and unless you are reserving at an extremely discounted rate easily surpassed by many other hotel establishments in Siena.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,
as first time let me thank you to have spent some of your time to write us about your dissatisfaction, although I would have preferred you to show it during your stay.
By this time I would like to reassure you that the Executive Suite that you booked was occupied the last time two days before your arrival and it was occupied again the day of your departure. This is the reason why we could not allow you a late check-out, considering also that the room is 120mq wide and should be cleaned for the new arrival.
The windows and the shutters are always closed upon arrival as in each hotel equipped with windows with shutters and this is the reason why we are pleased to accompany our kind Guests to their room: to open the windows, turn on the lights and show the room itself.
I really exclude the possibility that someone said we have a Michelin star restaurant, since our restaurant does not have any Michelin star!
Anyway, when you got up after the dinner expressing your appreciation directly to me, I did not have the impression you were disappointed at all!
Moreover, your wife ate a dish of ravioli and the pasta proposal in the menu were exactly three.
Unfortunately, only the following day you asked us not soya milk, which is always on the breakfast buffet, but semi-skimmed milk and we were not able to satisfy your last minute request. Maybe it is better to inform the staff upon arrival about allergies or particular alimentary requests, so that we have the necessary time to arrange the service.
When you called complaining about the not-working television, the receptionist has immediately come to your room and showed you how to use it and everything was working regularly.
That said, we take note of your disappointment and we will make good use of it to improve our service.

Kindest regards
Plaistow, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Let me start off by saying, this was one of the most amazing places to stay, in terms of the hotel itself (exquisite), the staff (beyond helpful) and the owner/manager Anna.

We drove up from Naples with a GPS that died 20 minutes outside of Siena. My husband and I have the worst sense of direction and we got lost. I called the hotel and Vivienne and Anna did everything they could to help us, including Anna getting on the phone with a local shop owner to understand where we were so she could provide us with EXACT directions. They were so kind and helpful to two wayward travellers and Anna's directions were perfect and we arrived in no time. We were greeted with smiles and warmth and the stress of it all melted away.

Then we saw our beautiful room and meandered the Certosa and the grounds. Absolutely stunningly beautiful. No detail has been left out and the history and beauty surrounding us was inspiring.

We had dinner at Il Canto and the staff was top-notch, attentive and friendly and the food was remarkable. It is not typical Tuscan food, but a delicious and unique experience using the freshest of ingredients and creativity. It was a gourmet experience that may not suit all people, but it was great for us (the ravioli melted in my mouth and I still dream about the dessert).

Watching Anna manage the evening's food service for all of the tables was like watching a fine ballet. And she was so compassionate when asking a patron who wanted to light up a cigarette next to a table with a pregnant young girl. The patron was a jerk and got angry, but it was the right thing to do and Anna handled it with such grace.

The next 3 days were more of this hospitality from ALL members of the staff... they simply could not do enough for us and provided information, insight, and recommendations that were spot on. Thanks to a Siena dinner recommendation by Anna, we were able to witness an Il Palio Contrada showing their colors—brilliant and fascinating, not to mention one of the best meals we had in Italy. And breakfast of cappuccino, breads, fruits, jams, cheese, and croissants made by the chef under a wisteria canopy was a delightful way to start each day.

Knowing how geographically challenged we are, Anna and the staff contacted our next hotel in Lake Como to get detailed driving directions and got us a map and went through the directions with us. Their concern for us was genuine and I am happy to report that we didn't get lost.

We were thoroughly enchanted and impressed with Certosa di Maggiano. A gorgeous hotel without a doubt. But it was the Certosa's people that made this a memorable and magical stay. For us, Anna and her staff rate a 10 out of 10 and are among the best we've ever experienced.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Guildford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel exceeded all my (very high) expectations. The architecture is fabulous, the grounds well tended, the staff attentive - but it is the serene atmosphere of this wonderful, wonderful hotel that made it so perfect for our weekend away. Il Canto, the restaurant, served the four of us a dinner that was stunning in its originality - we all agreed it was an unforgettable experience (and we are no strangers to good restaurants, so that will hopefully put my comments into perspective). Another distinct plus about this excellent hotel is that they give you more than you expect - little treats keep appearing - I won't say what so as not to spoil it for you if you are savvy enough to book a comfortable room here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Certosa di Maggiano? Share your experiences!