“TERRIBLE HOTEL/SERVICE!! WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN!” 1 of 5 stars

Certosa di Maggiano
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Strada di Certosa 82, 53100 Siena, Italy   |
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in Siena
Miami Beach, Florida
“TERRIBLE HOTEL/SERVICE!! WILL NEVER STAY AGAIN!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I can't believe this hotel is part of Relaix & Chateaux! The hotel looks TERRIBLE! It looks like they are going out of business. Money was stolen from my husband's wallet and the hotel manager did NOT offer any help or assistance. She actually told us it was our fault because his wallet wasn't on the safe! We wanted to fill out a police report and she told us the police wouldn't come to the hotel and if we wanted to do the report we would have to drive to the police station and we could do the report but nothing would be done! We had a total of 5 rooms and we all feel the same way! Hotel and service was horrible! We left one day prior to our departure date because of all the problems that we had!! I can't believe we paid Euros 650/night for this hotel!! What a rip off!! Very disappointed!! Will NEVER stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Madam,

First of all I really regret that you had a negative experience, however I must admit that while reading your review, I felt a great animosity and a deep intention on your side to harm us as much as possible...and this, it's a pity...I can understand that you might have been disappointed or that the hotel didn't fulfill your expectations, but from there to express all this aggressivity maybe there is a middle way.

The hotel is now 30 years that is part of the Relais et Chateaux association, and believe me this would not have been possible if throughout all those years, we would not have fulfilled all the necessary standards imposed by the association itself. Said this, I have been informed about your money issue and I also understood that this money (50 euro) has not been stolen from inside your safe box, but from your husband wallet which was left unattended within the room.

No matter what, I agree with you this is not a pleasant experience especially when you are in a vacation. However, I have to contradict you when you are saying that the general manager did not give you any assistance at all because, as it's reported within your file, she was the one who first suggested you to call the police and to make a report ( which already proofs that there has been a real intention to help) and that only once you have accepted, she personally called the police station ready to make a report in your behalf. The problem has been within the police officer's response, as he simply replied that they would not come for such a minor issue but however if you wish, you would be more than welcome to come and make the report directly there.

If you really wanted to go to the police station you had the possibility to do so but if you decided differently, it's maybe that you was not really interested to go for 50 euros only, I don't know...however, what I do know it's that in case you would have formulated the desire to be accompanied, no one would have refuse it, the general manager in the first place.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed a night here and left the kids with their grandparents.

Everything was as it should be - a true delight and the chef is a wonder!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Having stayed here 2 years ago I decided to make a return visit. The hotel has been a member of Relais aux Chateux for the best part of 30 years. They have their own way of doing things that to some may feel a bit stand offish but to me is authentic. The rooms have been recently update and are very nice. I was upgraded on arrival to a second floor room.
the public areas are just as you would imagine them if staying in someones house who has had 35 years to collect italian antiques!
It appears that breakfast is now included with most room rates (a bit of an issue with me given that at Euro 370 a night i had log felt that they should include it in the room so well done!)The pool is a joy with views over Sienna. If you are staying here dont bother about a car unless you are touring the surrounding hills as they are a vwery quick 5 mins outside of town.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I stayed at this property for 4 nights. We ate at their famed restaurant and although found the food interesting it was grossly overpriced at about 300 euros with a couple glasses of wine. And the wine pours by the way are the smallest I've ever seen--about a third of a normal pour, they probably get 20 to 22 glasses per bottle.
Our upgraded room had an 80's feel and look. The stair way leading to the rooms is a tile sound chamber where every footstep was magnified several decibels so a good sleep was impossible. The bathroom was not sufficiently clean, the towels had an odor, the glass panel on the shower/bath looked as if it had never been cleaned and no radiant heat in the cold tile floor. The shampoo amenities were an inferior product.
I honestly believe the management has no clue about customer service. Any situation I brought to their attention was met with the same response: "We do things differently in Italy". I've traveled Europe's 5 star properties extensively and have to say the Certosa certainly does things differently. My next communication will be with Relais & Chateaux recommending removing Certosa from their hotel group.
Lastly, an interesting note: on our last night we called housekeeping and requested a couple plates, wine glasses and flatware as we had purchased some wine and cheese in Siena and wanted to eat in our room. I was charged 5 euros just for the use of the setting and on checkout the next morning was accused of stealing the stuff. The valet (the only good employee I encountered) went to my room and reported back that the plates and glasses were in fact, in the room. Being accused of thievery was a very strange moment for me in a supposedly high end property.
My total bill was just under 2000 euros and when I objected to the 5 euro charge to use some plates you can probably guess what they said--"We do things differently in Italy"
I usually don't express opinion, I just don't go back, but Certosa was so amazingly disappointing in almost all areas, and Italy is usually a big trip and expense for people I felt compelled to warn anyone looking to stay at this property. Do not go to Certosa!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
Dear Mr & Mrs Kelly,

First of all i would like to introduce myself.

My name is Nicolo Grossi, i'm responsible for the marketing activities within la Certosa, while my sister Anna Claudia is in charge of the hotel and restaurant management. Said this, i must admit that your review left me under shock and i even found it a little bit bad, therefore i felt the need to go back into your file in order to exactly understand what really happened.

Originally you booked a Standard room for 300 euro/day, however, the day of you arrival, as we always do whenever we have the availability, you benefit of an upgrade within a Superior Room, which referring myself to what is written within the report, you have really appreciated and you even have expressed all your gratitude for the service and upgrade received and that never and ever throughout your stay you made a complain or you seemed unsatisfied about it.

Regarding the restaurant, i saw that you had dinner the day of you arrival only. Now, to make it clear and to let you understand what you exactly had and how much you exactly paid, i have separated the food costs with the beverage costs. Said this and with all my respect, looking at the beverage's invoice, I quickly see that you had much more than a "couple" of glasses only, as you have mentioned within your review.

- Food cost 146 Euro, for:

2 San pellegrino waters
3 champagne flutes
3 glasses of wine
2 limoncelli.

Now, speaking about the room service and the 5 euro we charge per person, the main reason being that at la Certosa we are not using common plates, cutlery or "the stuff" as you simply define it but we use instead, hand made ceramic plates, crystal glasses, lines napkins and silver cutlery and trays.

Regarding the "thievery" accusations, i am sorry but it is hard for me to believe that my sister or whoever was at the reception could have pointed you with the finger and formulated this kind of accusations...or even reply to you with " we do things differently in Italy" NO..IMPOSSIBLE...this i can not believe it...it is not our style, it is not the style my mom gave to the Hotel for the last 40 years we are within the Relais et Chateaux.

However, what i do believe, it is that they must have asked you if you have returned them or not..because in case they are missing you must understand that the staff will have to pay for it...so maybe, they were a little concerned about it, that's it BUT DIRECT ACCUSATIONS? NO WAY..IMPOSSIBLE..and if i am wrong...PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE NAME OF THE PERSON WHO HAS USED THE WORD STEALING OR THIEVING WITH YOU.

Said all this, what really matters is that you left unsatisfied and that you seem to really have nourished bad feelings about la Certosa and all its staff..and this hurts. We were the 1st Hotel in Italy to join the Relais et Chateaux association in 1978, it's a family business for over 40 years, the restaurant IL CANTO has been elected among the 50 best restaurants in the world...but you see...all this has no value against a bad comment or an unsatisfied client.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

A good choice as a base for Tuscany day trips - outside but near the City walls in Siena. Be sure to travel with gps; it's not easy to find. Comfortable rooms, helpful staff, fine restaurant (if not up to the 1 Michelin star that it has, or once had). Not suitable for anyone who travels with a laptop and needs internet access; no wireless or wired service, except a common computer (European keyboard) in "library" for E5/30 minutes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Dear Sir or Madam,

first of all thank you very much for coming to la Certosa di Maggiano. Yes, the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano is only 1km from town and it is not so difficult to find the hotel. Next time you come, please feel free to check on our website the page "How to reach us", you will find very detailed driving directions as well as a Google integrated map systhem which gives you all the driving directions from wherever you travel from.

REGARDING INTERNET i have good news for you...from next year our internet point, which also includes the use of a printing machine, it will be FREE of charge, and as a matter of fact i can already communicate you that within our 2011 rates also the rooms mini bar will be included within the price as well as breakfast and all the other services and amenities that are already included, such as:

Fresh fruits & flowers upon arrival
Free parking
tennis court
swimming pool
fitness room
newspapers
taxes & service

In the hope to welcome you again at la Certosa di Maggiano, i am proud to announce you that yesterday one of the most respected Italian food & beverage guides, la Guida dell'Espresso, has included our restaurant "Il Canto" among the top 20 restaurants in Italy with a vote of 18/20

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you at la Certosa di Maggiano.
Tokyo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We stayed in this hotel last year during our Italy trip. We had heard great things and were very excited. My husband had even heard a lot about their restaurant "Il Canto' and had made a reservation quite a few days before. We had budgeted our hotels in the other cities so we could stay here as it is quite expensive. But sadly, the experience left a very bitter taste in our mouth.

Firstly, let me say they do have a great property and was it not for the owners shockingly rude and unpleasant behaviour, our experience could have been very different.

1) We were scheduled to have dinner the first night at Il Canto. After driving from Venice (which is a long drive) we arrived, tired but very excited. When we got ready for dinner, we were shown to a little room with a few tables which looked like the backend of a kitchen. There was nobody else in sight. When we inquired, we were told that Il Canto is shut on Tuesdays (I think it was a tuesday). And this after we had booked quite a few days before!!

2) We anyways ate our meal without saying anything and retired to our room. We realized then that the AC was not working. We called the manager at the time who tried to make it work. But was not successful. So she politely told us that unfortunately there was nothing she could do and this would only get fixed in the morning!! So we spent a night in the siena June heat without an ac in a reportedly 'luxury' hotel

3) All this was still ok and we would not have minded it. The worst was when I went to speak to the owner in the morning to appraise her of what had happened. She casually told me that as regards the restaurant, it is so famous that everybody knows it is shut on tuesdays!!! I mean, how would we sitting in Tokyo know that?? But she stood her ground that it was our fault that we had booked a Tuesday and not the hotel's that they actually confirmed the reservation and neglected to inform us that the restaurant is shut on that day!! Secondly, when I mentioned that the ac had not worked and we had spent the entire night in the heat, she just laughed it off and said that is something that could happen in even the Ritz Carlton in New York and it was nothing to even mention to her!!!! When I persisted and said that we have travelled all over the world and have never experienced this (as even if the ac or other amenities have not worked at other places, we have always been offered an alternative solution and the hotels make sure we are not inconvenienced) she said that it seemed that we were used to better places and that we should feel free to leave the hotel if we were unhappy with it!!! All we were looking for was understanding and an apology, instead we came away being insulted and almost thrown out.

I have never been so insulted and would recommend that if you dont want to be mistreated, please avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
CertosadiMaggiano, Public Relations Manager at Certosa di Maggiano, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Madam, first i really would like to express all my regrets for your negative experience. The Hotel Certosa di Maggiano is now within the Relais et Chateaux for 40 years and if I am saying this it's mainly for one reason that to be part of the Relais et Chateaux you must fulfill certain standards and you get regularly undercover inspections to see if you do so..which it means that if the Hotel is still part of the Relais et Chateaux after 40 years this means that something good they must do, and they do! The restaurant has been this year priced among the best 40 restaurants in the world and the Hotel itself is unique in all Siena for its authenticity, location and services provided, which makes the Hotel Certosa di Maggiano the most Relais et Chateaux Hotel booked in Tuscany. However, I am not here to find excuses, obviously your experience has been a negative one, therefore something must have been gone wrong and believe me i will check. However, I see that you are stating two different things within your review..at the beginning you are saying that you came last year and at the bottom of the review the date of stay appears to be June 2010, therefore for me to check i would very much appreciate if you could provide me with your exact date of stay and names so i will be able to review our records and understand what really happened.

Now, regarding the restaurant Il Canto, yes it is closed on Tuesdays, therefore i do not understand how it has been possible that someone has booked you a table when it is its closing day. However i agree that it s possible that they forgot to mention it to you when you made the reservation..human mistake which can happen, but i agree it is not supposed to. Now, what i am sure about it's that the room you mention to be the "backend" of the kitchen it is simply NOT existing at la Certosa. The property is an original XIV monastery and it is simply not having a room as you have described. The areas that are reserved for lunch and dinner are the main cloister, the adjacent "Emperors" room, the Chimney room or the restaurant room itself..but NO backends room..

Regarding the AC it is possible that a mechanical failure happened, but honestly knowing the property's policy i am a little surprised that they didn't offer you an alternative room (upgrade) and above all I am surprised the way you said they answer you, especially if we are speaking about the OWNERSHIP. This family it is 40 years that they are in the hotel business, they live the and for the hotel 24hr a day, you see them running all day long making sure everything is fine and guests feel like at home and happy and in 1 minute they would loose their mind and destroy all what they have achieved in 40 years? I agree, people might lose their mind sometimes but being within the property for many years now i have never and ever heard them being rude or getting crazy with no one. Are you sure it was the owner? are you not maybe confusing her with someone at the reception? if you remember her name this would help...

Said this madam, i really would be grateful if you could provide me with the information i have asked above and believe me i will take immediate action to check and come back to you with a full report. Thank you
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

The food is the best, the service incredible. If you like small hotels, with impeccable service, this one’s for you. It is a great place to get away and relax. The only down side is no internet service in rooms, and no high def TVs. Internet service and computer are available, just not in your room. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Certosa di Maggiano? Share your experiences!