“The Highlight of our Vacation” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 59 Activities in Siena
Type: Educational Sites, Classes
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“The Highlight of our Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

My 23 year old son and I traveled to Siena for three days last week. It was a magical trip, full of some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever experienced. The people, the hotel and the food were all fantastic. And, the highlight of our trip was undoubtedly the private cooking class we took at La Scuola di Cucina di Lella. This was something I had dreamed of doing for many years and to get to experience it with my son made it all the more special. That said, it was Lella herself and her assistant Jackie who stole the show. I had such high hopes and expectations that it should have been impossible for Lella to exceed them, but she did. Between Lella's passionate and playfull teaching (all in Italian) and Jackie who added a lot more value than mere translation, we truly had a day, and evening to remember. This was a very "hands on" experience. My son and I got to make the dough for both the pasta and the biscotti and learned how to make them both by hand. We learned how to make a delicous Tuscan Soup, not the more well known Ribolitta, but a lesser known soup called "Pappa col Pomadora". The hand made pasta was really fun to make, and even better to eat. Coupled with the pork and mushroom sauce we made, this pasta dish was "off the charts good". As good or better than anything I've ever had in some of the world's highest rated Italian restaurants. The main course we prepared was a roast pork in surrounded by potatoes. If you think you know how to make roast pork (I did), you are in for a pleasant surprise. All of this was done in a pristine clean, professional kitchen, fitted out with every cooking tool imaginable, may of which i had never even seen or heard of before. And I have been cooking Italian food for 30 years. Lella takes her cooking seriously, but she takes a lighthearted approach to her teaching. My son and I felt like we were amongst friends, cooking a family dinner. What amazed me most was all that I learned that is not in any recipe you'd find in a book. Lella shared her secrets with us as to what to do and what not to do when preparing this type of food. Let's just say that she opened our eyes to a whole new approach to things I thought we knew. And, once we prepared a dish, we had the pleasure of sitting down with Lella and Jackie and eating it, accompanied by a bottle of the school's own Chianti which paired with the flavors of our food perfectly. (the dinner and wine was included in the price of the course.)
As for the pricing, this in NOT a school for bargain hunters. This is a very high end experience and, with that in mind, I think it was priced quite reasonably. Clearly, when looked at from the standpoint of getting great value for your investment, it can't be beat. So, I'd say to anyone interested, "If you can afford to do it, you've got to visit La Scuola di Cucina di Lella. My son and I are already dreaming of doing it again.

Visited November 2011

Whitby
“Very enjoyable and fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

We went as a tour group from Canada in September 2011, there were 18 of us a great bunch of people. We had a lot of fun making pasta. Our tour guide Simona was great and recommended this cooking school. Lella was wonderful and the food was great as well. A thoroughly enjoyable time.

Visited September 2011
atlanta
5 attraction reviews
“Simple Delish!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I researched and wrote to multiple cooking schools around Tuscany for several weeks before deciding on Lella's school---and I made the right choice! My friend that I traveled with was reluctant to go to a cooking class, so I offered to pay for him in exchange for being a willing participant. He grew up eating his mom's authentic Italian cuisine and didn't think he would enjoy the 4 hour class or learn anything new. We both ended up having the BEST time. We each learned something, enjoyed the hands on cooking and then really enjoyed eating our meal and enjoying some wine with the other 7 guests. This was my favorite evening in Italy! Thank you Lella!

Visited November 2011
new jersey
“Best meal in Siena... And I helped make it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

My husband, 2 friends and I decided a cooking class would be an interesting, different kind of evening out... And it ended up being our favorite night in Siena!! We looked into a few schools and hers was by far the most reasonably priced. To be honest, she could charge more... We were there nearly 5 hours, learned to make a 5 course meal (with vegetarian options which was great for me!), ate and drank well, and were entertained by Lella and her translator. I'd do this again in a heartbeat and can't wait to try out the recipes (including my very own hand made pasta) for family and friends! Thanks, Lella!

murtaghrobert
“Amazing Tuscan Cooking Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

We arrived in Siena without knowing much about the area. As part of our experience we wanted to take a cooking class and this was definitely the best one to find. Lella has a huge industrial kitchen with lots of space to learn and cook. We were two people in a group of about ten people. Each person had their own preparation space for making pasta and preparing other food for sauce and dessert. The best part of the class was the hands on experience with an Italian teacher Lella. As part of the class Lella provides recipes to take home so you can repeat the experience in your own kitchen. The hands on experience you get definitely allows you to cook at home and impress your friends. Overall, I thought the prices was very reasonable considering how much things cost for Americans in Europe with the exchange rate. We will definitely go back next time were in Siena to learn more about Tuscany cooking.

Website: http://www.scuoladicucinadilella.net/