“Knowledgable, good company, caring and entertaining.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 59 Activities in Siena
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: My name is Gianni. I am a Ph.D. geologist, certified nature guide and tour operator. Let me show you around the undiscovered Tuscany and set up your trip.I organize active tours. You will be able to enjoy beautiful walks in the countryside and through small villages, interact with the locals and sample great food and wines in Tuscany and Italy. I am a 43 year old resident, so passionate about my country. Only private tours or small group joinable tours. No bus crazy crowds! Let me put together a great active and cultural vacation for you and your friends. Please read my reviews.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Bagni di Lucca, Italy
“Knowledgable, good company, caring and entertaining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We booked our trip with Gianni who organised accommodation and suggested a walking schedule. In addition we also had the pleasure of having a truly superb 4 course dinner on one night, prepared and cooked for us in our beautiful Villa by a friend of Gianni's; Elisa; super, fresh, local produce, prepared by a professional chef.

We found dealing with Gianni to be very easy in every respect. He also provided a walk from the villa in Quercegrossa led by Sara, the owner. Again this was an interesting and enjoyable day as Sara was able to tell us so much about the locale as we clambered through the beautiful countryside. I would recommend the services of these people without hesitation and we were truly sad to leave Quercegrossa.
Sara's villa is newly rebuilt, very clean, with tasteful / comfortable furnishings and just so peaceful. The loudest thing to hear is the birdsong in the morning and watching the sunset in the evening with a glass of Futerotoli ( local red ) was a joy. Paulo and Bianca's pizzeria in the village was also a good night out with great food at very good prices - used by locals..... and excellent.

One last thing; the road leading to and past the villa provides one of the best runs; a long, sweaty and steady climb for 2.5 miles up to the next village followed by a fast descent back with country views all the way.

Ciao Gianni, Sara and Elisa. Grazie mille.

Visited May 2013
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Private Tours, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing my collaborators' work as well.
When people that work in your team are so extraordinary, setting up tours is so easy. I trust them 100% and I hope to work with them for long years.
All the best,
Arrivederci!

Nanjing, China
3 attraction reviews
“Italy....Gianni-style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Our family spent the day with Gianni, and walked the countryside near San Gimignano. We learned quite alot about the history of the region, the lives of the people at that time, and about local and Italian culture. We viewed the ruins of a medieval village along the hike, and also learned a bit about the topography of the region. For lunch, we really enjoyed visiting a local farmhouse and experienced a typical lunch of the region, and it was delicious. We then went to San Gimignano and toured the walled town, hiking up one of the towers to view the surrounding countryside. Gianni will tailor your tour to your specific interests and was a pleasure to spend the day with, we found him extremely knowledgable and accommodating. Big thumbs up!!!

Visited February 2013
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Private Tours, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Nancy, I loved walking and enjoying a nice lunch with you and your family. Thanks a lot for the "Gianni style" comment. I enjoy every day of my job because I am so lucky to be able to put my style with guests like you and your family: you have been very open to suggestions and happy to breath "true Tuscany". I wish you all the best and I wish myself to be able to walk with you again in the future.
A presto!
Falls Village, Connecticut
“Fantastic Walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked a full day walk near Cortona with Gianni. He was a fantastic guide, very friendly and informative, and a pleasure to get to know. We got to see some absolutely gorgeous views of the city and the valley - we had the luck to see the whole valley covered in mist - stunning. Would definitely recommend Gianni to anyone wanting to see a bit more of the countryside and have great conversation along the way.

Visited January 2013
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Private Tours, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear cblass,
let me tell you that meeting your family was a great experience.
People that like to walk and don't like crowds and noises have definitely something in common. I think that on that walking day we had in Cortona we all felt a great atmosphere going on. The wonderful views made the rest.
I hope that you and your family will come back to this area for more walking experiences.
Arrivederci!
Canberra, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Around Monteriggioni, Tuscany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We booked a full-day walk with Gianni around Monteriggioni in October.
Gianni was a perfect host/guide and we all really enjoyed our walk and the interesting information he shared with us.
Gianni's recommendation for a best hand made Pici pasta dish at Latte di Luna Restaurant in Pienza was spot on.
All in all, a fantastic experience.
Thanks Gianni.
Cristel, Geoff, Richard & Dominique

Visited October 2012
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Private Tours, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dera Geoff,
let me thank you and your nice family for the enjoyment I had during our walk. I am happy you were happy about my service. I am also pleased to know that my suggestion for the restaurant in Pienza was a success. I tend to work/collaborate with providers, hoteliers and restaurants that I enjoy myself as a customer.
I hope to have the opportunity to walk with you in the future.
arrivederci,
Langley City, Canada
“Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We booked 2 tours with Gianni. A day in the Chianti area and a day in Val d'Orcia. We thoroughly enjoyed both. The beauty of the area is a given, which you could see on your own, but doing a tour with Gianni comes with many bonuses. He is a very personable individual, easy to talk to and a wealth of information about the area. What was equally interesting for us was all the conversations we had along the way. Whether is was about politics, the economy, food & wine, the social life in Sienna, we learned more about Italy in those two days than we would have on our own and because of that our holiday in Italy felt more complete. Definitely a highlight for us and we would highly recommend Gianni.

Visited October 2012
Dear Tricia,
let me tell you that I also learned so much from our conversations along the trail about your work projects and Canadian life style.
I am so lucky because this type of job allows cultural exchanges that I would never even imagine living in such a small town like Siena... but life is good and it is even better when people can walk together and talk!
I hope our way will cross again someday.
A presto!