“Absolutely brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 413 Restaurants in Siena
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Sydney
“Absolutely brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We booked a table from reading previous reviews and glad we did as we wouldn't have been so lucky to dine there if not! It's extremely popular and for good reason. Impeccable service from the minute we walked in, personable yet not intrusive. My husband had the gnocchi entree, creamy Gorgonzola sauce and he says it was the best gnocchi he's ever had. I had porcini mushrooms and pate with polenta, strong, tasty flavours. Following that we had the special beef fillet with truffle with was such an amazing piece of meat, and cooked to perfection. Followed by the tiramisu which as the young waiter boldly proclaimed "is the best in the universe", and little guy we have to agree! Oh and the house red wine was extremely reasonable and delicious!

Visited May 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Elburn, Illinois
“Excellent Service, Good Food and Wonderful Dessert!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

First of all, you need a reservation to eat dinner here. They only seat at 7pm and then at 9pm. There are not a lot of tables so make a reservation probably up to 1 week before to ensure you get a table. Our hotel called on Wed and got us a dinner reservation for Friday evening at 7pm. The restaurant has a very nice look to it. It's like walking into a cave. You can see wine cellar on one side and there is also one in the basement. They even brought little stool for my purse. All servers, hostess, etc were very professional and kind. My husband and I started with the bruschetta combo. It included 3 different kinds and we shared. One was Zucchini and Pecorino Cheese, one was traditional tomato and then the third .. I honestly am not sure what it was. They were good and unique but not the best bruschetta that I had while I was in Italy. Then next we shared a spaghetti with tomato sauce that had bacon in it. It was very good. Very good sauce. 1 portion was generous enough to share. For main course I had Rosemary Chicken and my husband had the Braised Beef. I think they were both average or slightly above and I was disappointed that I did not get the pasta with truffles.... I saw others have it and it looked amazing. I think that we just didn't pick the right options off of the menu. Last but not least was dessert. We had the Tiramisu with a hazelnut and chocolate topping. This was one of my favorite desserts in my almost 3 weeks in Italy. I would go back for this alone... Delicious! I really really wish I knew how to make it. My husband said the same thing about it. I think our bill was about 80 Euro total. We also had 1 bottle of house wine, one bottle of water and 1 Limoncello. So not a bad price at all for all of this great food.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Amazing Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stopped by at night without reservation- no chance to get in. Tried for lunch-successfully. This is a very fine establishment. Deserves a couple of Michelin stars. Once you are in, the smell of truffles just make you salivate! Wine-outstanding, Service, too. Pasta with fresh spring truffles-great. I think that desert was unnecessary.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Tempe, AZ
“3rd time and still awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I've been to Siena 3 times and I always make it a point to eat here. The service is fantastic, the prices are reasonable (for what you get) and the ambiance is charming. Food quality is amazing and this restaurant seems to always be the highlight of my trips to Italy. Honestly, I don't know how this place isn't in every guide book for Tuscany. They have a wine cellar that you can look at that is from before Christ. Everything I have eaten here is a home run but if you've never had steak Florentine before then its a MUST. Bring your appetite and prepare to take leftovers home. They have a huge wine selection but even the house wine was fantastic.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not to miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

A lovely typical Sienese menu, food was great, wine list extensive and staff friendly. Two sittings at 7 & 9, so pace of service was fast, but not hurried. Would definitely go again next visit.