“Good position, nice views but terrible service.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Monastery of San Girolamo - Monache Benedettine

Monastery of San Girolamo - Monache Benedettine
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Gimignano
Monastery of San Girolamo - Monache Benedettine
Via Folgore, 30, 53037 San Gimignano, Italy   |
Ranked #57 of 60 San Gimignano B&B and Inns
“Good position, nice views but terrible service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Getting into this monastry is a challenge, even if you have a booking. You need to know to go to the main gate jn the wall,mnot the one the bus stops at and then to go to the door one car length back from the stop light. don't expect a sign but if you are lucky a lovely lady will be at the desk. This only seems to be a couple of hours before lunch. Otherwise you can't get in at all unless you have a key. We stayed several days and did not see another person after breakfast on the first day. This was a nun who would hardly talk to us, staying about two minutes to show us the breakfast and hurried away. Breakfast is included but forget it, even the coffee was terrible.

At the moment this is only a choice for experienced travellers who don't mind sorting problems and being totally self reliant. A pity because it is a good position and the rooms have nice outlooks but couldn't recommend or even guarantee that you will get in.

• Stayed September 2012

4 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brasschaat, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I had read about this in the Lonely Planet.. Traveling solo, you pay usually about the same price as when you book a double room... so I decided to try this as here you pay per person.
Well, when I rang the door bell, I was told to go to another door a bit further down the road. There I waited and waited, and finaly knocked on the door. This was opened by another tourist, and he let me in while he was going to look for a nun. A nun appeared and started yelling at him, that the door should NEVER BE OPENED...And that he should NEVER LET ANYONE in... She was yelling in a way that a mother would do to her own child.. but not a nun to a paying guest.. When I asked her to see a room, (to me it was not clear whether it were dorm rooms or singles.. she did not understand that question, therefore I asked to see a room) she said 'no' and then started to whine about the fact that they cannot show the room, it is just a bed and what else would I expect ?? Then she went on in French (and was a bit surprised I speak French too, so I answered her... :-)) about why I want to see it... I just left and as I walked out of the door, she yelled after me 'and don't return here !'... Well, being a Catholic myself, I was ashamed of that at that moment... I checked in in a B&B, and told my story. The lady said she had heard before that the nuns are very unfriendly.. but was is worse: they are unfair competition for B&B's and hotels in town, as they don't pay taxes.. so they can afford to give the beds/rooms for a cheap price... Being a monastery, they are not allowed 'to make money' so they don't pay taxes... So in a way, they should not force a fixed price, but just tell the guests to leave a 'contribution'....Anyway I was glad to stay in a B&B with friendly people and to support the local economy...

Room Tip: you can stay here if you like being yelled at...