Our trip to Italy was great except for our stay at this hotel. Today it is funny and I am told the response from management is typical. The Hotel Casolare looked great but the room we were stuck with was the worst room in the place. Also the weather increased the discomfort of staying there. The weather was nice and sunny with temperatures of 84 degrees. So when we checked in on Sunday around 4 PM the room was hot and stuffy. The receptionist informed us that they had shut off the air conditioning for the year because it was cold last week. Later on in our stay this proved a lie as they finally had to turn it on the last stay of our 5 day stay probably because of all the complaints.
As a result we had to open all the windows (no screens) in the room which meant from time to time a cat came in in the middle of the night and cried to go out, flies came in, and one time another hotel guest just poked her head in our room to see what was in the room. That was not the worst part.
The worst part was that our bathroom window opened out to the bar and dinning room. I asked for a change of rooms the first day and was told they were completely booked. I do not think they were completely booked the next five days. The first night we were kept up by a group of happy travelers in the bar on the other side of the wall. I went to the Teflon manager and she said this hotel was know for quiet and if I had a problem she would tell the bar and dining room guests to be quiet. I could not comprehend that happening. I asked for a room change at that point and was denied. The next night the bar was just being a normal bar and I called the night clerk who siad he could not leave the desk to tell the patrons to be quiet. I ask for the manager to call me in the morning, I am still waiting for that call three weeks later.
The first three nights we went to bed with ear plugs because the bar guests kept us up with talking and the scraping of chairs on the floor. Here is a visual for you. In the morning one day I purposely flushed the toilet and every guest in the dining room turned to the window to see where the noise came from. As I said, the Teflon manager did not budge but charged us the extra 40 Euros for an upgraded room (room 86). I guest the extra charge was because we had easy access to the bar through the bathroom window.
I know some people will read this and chalk it up to the ugly American tourist. I also know the manager may write a follow up and say it was all a misunderstanding, etc. Where was the communication over 5 days at your hotel. I have stayed at other European hotels with rooms no bigger than closets and had a great stay because of the service and location. I am already looking back on this a funny story during our trip to Italy. That does not change the fact that I was charged an extra 40 Euros a night for an upgraded inferior room and got no understanding from management on the situation. If in the area I would pick another hotel, probably right in the beautiful town of San Gimignamo.
As a final note it was tough to give this hotel such a poor rating. Every other hotel review I have shows great ratings. So this is my first bad review, Also the rest of the service at the hotel was excellent but I felt I needed to get my point across about the major problem of a really bad room and no empathy from the management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Casolare Le Terre Rosse is only five minutes away from San Gimignano and is surrounded by a beautiful park. Thanks to the Niccolini family, this elegant farmhouse, tucked away in nature, was turned into a small gem of Tuscan hospitality. At Casolare le Terre Rosse you will experience a unique, warm and cosy atmosphere and will have the chance to live close to nature while enjoying the food and culture of this incomparable land. You can relax in our bright rooms or in our elegant country-style apartments and enjoy the Tuscan countryside while having breakfast, or you may relax at the spillway pool, where you can restore your energy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Hotel Casolare le Terre Rosse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Casolare Terre Rosse
- Hotel Casolare Le Terre Rosse San Gimignano, Italy - Tuscany